COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

22 minutes ago, Spacedog said:

Slowly but surely the penny is dropping here in the UK. 1st quarter economy shrinks by 2%. Bearing in mind the lockdown started right at the end of The quarter. The second quarters results are going to be the worst in living memory. Millions of people are currently furloughed   and are being paid 80% of salary up to GBP2500, which has extended till the end of Oct. Some people are becoming increasingly comfortable with this seeing it as a long break. Wait till they are asked to return to work, that is if their job is still there. By extending the furlough scheme with no realistic plan of how to return back to normal, struggling businesses will extend the furlough until the last possible moment before closing. Why not let the government pay your salary bill, defer delivering the horrible message of redundancy till the very last moment. With the economy expected to shrink between 15-20% what percentage of the workforce are going to end up redundant?

Some companies have already announced job cuts BA, Virgin, and Rolls Royce are just a few, how many more to follow? Kids are not being educated and the unions are flexing their muscles telling teachers not to return to work unless safety is guaranteed. Bearing in mind that the young are the the least likely to be affected by the virus. Thousands of apprentice schemes have been cancelled leaving thousands of teenagers  in limbo. There are and will not be any new jobs available any time soon for this generation.

On the news this morning. Finally someone had the balls to spell out that we are going to be paying this back for years and years to come. Increasing income tax, VAT, national insurance higher duty on petrol and alcohol. As a country we only just finished paying the debt of for WW2, Gordon Brown sold the gold reserves in 2006.

It seems to me ironic that the group of people most vulnerable to this virus (the elderly/retired) are the ones best positioned to emerge from this crisis unscathed financially. Many are mortgage free, drawing on private pensions, good luck to them they deserve it. After all that is the position we all would like to be in come the end of our working lives. Sadly for the young and people with young families they are going to bear the brunt of this for a very long time yet. People can forget about holidays in the sun, weekend breaks away, disposable income will be at a premium.

The way I see it is the politicians were too quick to put us in lockdown. There is no credible plan to ease us out of lockdown back to normality. They keep on spouting crap like social distancing, wearing masks not mixing outside of the household. On one hand grandparents cant visit their grandkids or children, they can go out and play tennis or have a game of golf if they want. Private cleaners are now allowed into peoples homes along with estate agents and people who want to view your house. The left hand don’t know what the right hand is doing. The Government has created a complete clusterf**k, they will be dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t. They have dug themselves a massive hole with no idea how to get out. 

I do believe in order to move this forward and restore our everyday freedoms and return to normality. The government should be focusing on the elderly and vulnerable who are most likely to be affected by the virus, keeping them safe and secure. The lockdown should be revoked immediately travel restrictions lifted and let the virus blow itself out. They should have stuck to the original plan of herd immunity before that twat Ferguson got involved.

What an absolutely fantastic post. The truth is that the majority of people were enjoying a long holiday on 80% pay. Now they are being told there will be no summer holidays and they may not have a job to go back to, the penny has started to drop.

Around where I am I have seen more and more shops and takeaways opening everyday, some with shutters half down, most not. If the govt were honest about the tax rises ahead, public support for any lockdown would plummet.

The truth is that this virus has also been exploited by the Unions, the far left and the labour party. This is what they have always wanted, the NHS worshipped like a golden cow, and millions on the payroll of the state. They are in Dreamworld and they won't live without kicking and screaming.

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Spacedog said:

Slowly but surely the penny is dropping here in the UK. 1st quarter economy shrinks by 2%. Bearing in mind the lockdown started right at the end of The quarter. The second quarters results are going to be the worst in living memory. Millions of people are currently furloughed   and are being paid 80% of salary up to GBP2500, which has extended till the end of Oct. Some people are becoming increasingly comfortable with this seeing it as a long break. Wait till they are asked to return to work, that is if their job is still there. By extending the furlough scheme with no realistic plan of how to return back to normal, struggling businesses will extend the furlough until the last possible moment before closing. Why not let the government pay your salary bill, defer delivering the horrible message of redundancy till the very last moment. With the economy expected to shrink between 15-20% what percentage of the workforce are going to end up redundant?

Some companies have already announced job cuts BA, Virgin, and Rolls Royce are just a few, how many more to follow? Kids are not being educated and the unions are flexing their muscles telling teachers not to return to work unless safety is guaranteed. Bearing in mind that the young are the the least likely to be affected by the virus. Thousands of apprentice schemes have been cancelled leaving thousands of teenagers  in limbo. There are and will not be any new jobs available any time soon for this generation.

On the news this morning. Finally someone had the balls to spell out that we are going to be paying this back for years and years to come. Increasing income tax, VAT, national insurance higher duty on petrol and alcohol. As a country we only just finished paying the debt of for WW2, Gordon Brown sold the gold reserves in 2006.

It seems to me ironic that the group of people most vulnerable to this virus (the elderly/retired) are the ones best positioned to emerge from this crisis unscathed financially. Many are mortgage free, drawing on private pensions, good luck to them they deserve it. After all that is the position we all would like to be in come the end of our working lives. Sadly for the young and people with young families they are going to bear the brunt of this for a very long time yet. People can forget about holidays in the sun, weekend breaks away, disposable income will be at a premium.

The way I see it is the politicians were too quick to put us in lockdown. There is no credible plan to ease us out of lockdown back to normality. They keep on spouting crap like social distancing, wearing masks not mixing outside of the household. On one hand grandparents cant visit their grandkids or children, they can go out and play tennis or have a game of golf if they want. Private cleaners are now allowed into peoples homes along with estate agents and people who want to view your house. The left hand don’t know what the right hand is doing. The Government has created a complete clusterf**k, they will be dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t. They have dug themselves a massive hole with no idea how to get out. 

I do believe in order to move this forward and restore our everyday freedoms and return to normality. The government should be focusing on the elderly and vulnerable who are most likely to be affected by the virus, keeping them safe and secure. The lockdown should be revoked immediately travel restrictions lifted and let the virus blow itself out. They should have stuck to the original plan of herd immunity before that twat Ferguson got involved.

Well its not just the UK government that have effected a lockdown. More or less the whole world has done the same in varying degrees. Some sooner and some later, so this is not specific to UK. It is a world problem. 

The fact that so many different governments decided on lockdown either suggests one of two things. Either they were right or they were wrong. But its not just the elderly who are dying. 

Those governments were elected by the people to act on their behalf (democracy) in many of those countries. Just as in the UK, the tories were elected by a majority. 

No government can wave a magic want and make everything better. If they get it wrong then they should be punished next time around and if they get it right there will be those who blame them. 

Of course we are going to have to pay higher taxes, of course we will pay more in N. I  etc. We didn't ask for this pandemic nor did the government but we are all effected by it in various ways. 

The virus isn't doesn't descriminate so why should we? 

6 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

^^^^^  Well, who the f**k is gonna  change this .. only you and your attitude .... easy .. no reason for a lot of words ... just do it ..

Not me or you my friend. We don't have power, only opinion. I am not aiming to spread my attitude but merely express it. What I think will make absolutely No difference whatsoever and unfortunately the same applies to anyone else who expresses their opinion on a forum. It's just conversation and swapping ideas and opinions. 

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

What an absolutely fantastic post. The truth is that the majority of people were enjoying a long holiday on 80% pay. Now they are being told there will be no summer holidays and they may not have a job to go back to, the penny has started to drop.

Around where I am I have seen more and more shops and takeaways opening everyday, some with shutters half down, most not. If the govt were honest about the tax rises ahead, public support for any lockdown would plummet.

The truth is that this virus has also been exploited by the Unions, the far left and the labour party. This is what they have always wanted, the NHS worshipped like a golden cow, and millions on the payroll of the state. They are in Dreamworld and they won't live without kicking and screaming.

"the truth"? 😊

38 minutes ago, Spacedog said:

Spacedog this was a pretty good and pretty smart post and I agree with a lot of it.....But you have got one point wrong....

And that is......The left hand don’t know what the right hand is doing. The Government has created a complete clusterf**k, 

The powers that be (who are really running the show) and who operate above any and all governments.....Are organized and operating such a high level that its almost hard for average humans to comprehend........Their symbol is the all seeing eye for a reason.........

You may think what your seeing going on is unorganized, crazy, and chaotic... But I assure you just about everything going on is EXACTLY the way they want it going on.....If they were not happy with things, things would be changed overnight.......

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

I get sick and tired of reading all of the bullshit posted .. either live and make a difference ... or f**k off .. talk is cheap ... and all of this bullshit of this or that ... is meaningless

You mean to tell me all of the statistical model , the fear projected from the media ...  etc.  etc.  ... is true?   --- it is all meaningless

Just get on with your life and help people when you feel the need -- no need for projection or drama ... and a lot of your fucks on this forum are drama generated

Pretty easy for me .. live your life fearless , and help where you can ...

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, fforest said:

You may think what your seeinging going on is unorganized, crazy, and chaotic... But I assure you just about everything going on is EXACTLY the way they want it going on.....If they were not happy with things, things would be changed overnight..

Fully agreed.

200513123920-shobushi-kiyotaka-suetake-exlarge-169.jpg

Sumo wrestler Shobushi, 28, is sport's first coronavirus death

Shobushi, whose real name was Kiyotaka Suetake, died from multiple organ failure after a bout of pneumonia, the Japan's Sumo Association (JSA) announced.
The wrestler first developed a fever on April 4 but struggled to get treatment at hospital because of a deluge of similar complaints from other potential patients.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/13/sport/shobushi-sumo-wrestler-death-coronavirus-spt-intl/index.html

Edited by lazarus

9 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

"the truth"? 😊

One company boss said on social media today: 'I need to restart my business to avoid insolvency. I have a plan which ensures it’s done safely. The problem is my furloughed staff are finding every excuse not to return to work. How do I compete with a chancellor who is paying them not to work?'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8311337/amp/Bosses-battle-furloughed-workers-DONT-want-return-work.html

A lefties dream.

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

One company boss said on social media today: 'I need to restart my business to avoid insolvency. I have a plan which ensures it’s done safely. The problem is my furloughed staff are finding every excuse not to return to work. How do I compete with a chancellor who is paying them not to work?'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8311337/amp/Bosses-battle-furloughed-workers-DONT-want-return-work.html

A lefties dream.

One company boss? 

So that is the overall truth? 

There is a whole mixture of scenarios out there, winners and losers during these times. No one knows the absolute truth unless they feel that they are totally qualified in knowing what every other person thinks and feels.  

You will find it is your own truth and that which you chose to believe. That's fair enough but you cannot speak for the people because people are different and have different views and aspirations. 

12 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I get sick and tired of reading all of the bullshit posted .. either live and make a difference ... or f**k off .. talk is cheap ... and all of this bullshit of this or that ... is meaningless

You mean to tell me all of the statistical model , the fear projected from the media ...  etc.  etc.  ... is true?   --- it is all meaningless

Just get on with your life and help people when you feel the need -- no need for projection or drama ... and a lot of your fucks on this forum are drama generated

Pretty easy for me .. live your life fearless , and help where you can ...

Sorry, who were you responding to? 

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Sorry, who were you responding to? 

Everyone ... jeez ... you read all of the drivel and posts from google .. it is all bullshit

Man up .. do what you need to do and stop with all of the "yak " ...

Tell me .. what the f**k does yak do ?

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Spacedog said:

Agree completely.

7 minutes ago, farangme said:

Agree completely.

^^^ See .. another bunch of yak ... you agree .. what are you gonna do about it .. nothing .. but agree .. lol

We all gotta get on with life ... no excuses .. so all of this drivel makes no difference at all where it matters ... just cheap talk ..

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

^^^ See .. another bunch of yak ... you agree .. what are you gonna do about it .. nothing .. but agree .. lol

We all gotta get on with life ... no excuses .. so all of this drivel makes no difference at all where it matters ... just cheap talk ..

To be honest, I have nothing better to do right now 😁😁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Your problem .. no reason to just yak and agree with another ... stand your ground Bro ...

I don't appear to be agreeing with many at the moment regarding the subject matter. I shall continue making a face mask out of some knickers given to me by my elderly neighbour. I would have preferred if she had washed them first

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

A lefties dream.

So this would seem to be the easiest answer to this bosses problem. Contact all his furloughed employees and tell them it's time to come back. They have x number of days to show up... if they choose to not return then their position will be filled by someone else. The only unknown will be if the virus flares back up.

80% furloughed pay can not last

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

I don't appear to be agreeing with many at the moment regarding the subject matter. I shall continue making a face mask out of some knickers given to me by my elderly neighbour. I would have preferred if she had washed them first

Cool .. but not necessary....

Never mind .. just smell her glory ..

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Not me or you my friend. We don't have power, only opinion. I am not aiming to spread my attitude but merely express it. What I think will make absolutely No difference whatsoever and unfortunately the same applies to anyone else who expresses their opinion on a forum. It's just conversation and swapping ideas and opinions. 

Disagree…. we do have the power.... we have the vote.... we have the right to express our concerns through your local member.... they are there to represent the people.... but the problem is that people think that we do not have any power and just follow along like sheep.

Yes we have a pandemic ….. no denying that as we have had them before..... but never has the world shut down ...economies shut down before.....so the people have the right.....in fact are entitled to ask for an explanation why some of the restrictions are put in place...when will they be lifted.....why they cannot earn money to support their families..... etc..etc.

If all these Govts have the interest of the people at heart..... why have they not  adhered to the restrictions like the general population. They seem to meet in groups...are allowed to go where ever they want.... when in fact they could all do it from their homes like they tell others to do. 

As said.... no one denies there is a pandemic,..... but the reaction to this one is the biggest overkill in the history of the world.

cheers 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

^^^ Well, I smoke .. nothing is wrong with me .. are they saying the same thing about ganja? .. If so, I am f**ed .. lol

Maybe you're onto something...
I saw this noted in an online flyer from my local ganja shop...

Cannabis May Show Promise in Treating COVID-19.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/05/13/cannabis-may-show-promise-in-treating-covid-19-her.aspx

"The extracts of our most successful and novel high CBD C. sativa lines, pending further investigation, may become a useful and safe addition to the treatment of COVID-19 as an adjunct therapy. They can be used to develop easy-to-use preventative treatments in the form of mouthwash and throat gargle products for both clinical and at-home use."

There you go...smoke 'em if you got 'em...as my Granddaddy use to say. 

25 minutes ago, roobob said:

Disagree…. we do have the power.... we have the vote.... we have the right to express our concerns through your local member.... they are there to represent the people.... but the problem is that people think that we do not have any power and just follow along like sheep.

Yes we have a pandemic ….. no denying that as we have had them before..... but never has the world shut down ...economies shut down before.....so the people have the right.....in fact are entitled to ask for an explanation why some of the restrictions are put in place...when will they be lifted.....why they cannot earn money to support their families..... etc..etc.

If all these Govts have the interest of the people at heart..... why have they not  adhered to the restrictions like the general population. They seem to meet in groups...are allowed to go where ever they want.... when in fact they could all do it from their homes like they tell others to do. 

As said.... no one denies there is a pandemic,..... but the reaction to this one is the biggest overkill in the history of the world.

cheers 

We have the power of one vote every so many years. We are not due an election any time soon. Yes people can and are writing to their local MPs but not everyone wants the same thing. 

The problem is when people think they know better but they are not the ones held responsible if things go pair shaped. 

It is a circular argument. But if enough people wanted to end lock down Now then they would take to the streets.. They have done so for far less important matters than this. 

Maybe that will happen and maybe not.  I don't consider myself a sheep and do stuff just because I am told to. I make a choice just as some here feel they should have a choice.  If anyone thinks I am happy to be stuck at home for weeks they are very wrong. I hate it but I also hate what the alternative might be. 

My concern is that if we go too quickly into easing that it could spike the pandemic into a second wave.  Then the government/s will resort back to lockdown. Then there will be a greater delay for everyone to get back to near normality and prolong the agony. 

It is a pity that I can't show the photo I have today as I am on my phone but it showed a queue for an underground train with distancing. Then once on the train people are bunched up like sardines. It was crazy. That is sheep mentality my friend. 

It just takes some thought and creativity to extend working hours and flexibility to avoid rush hour peaks. And to allow more free parking for those who can drive to work and encourage walking on shorter journeys.  For people who work locally to their homes not such a problem 

It's all very well asking people to act responsibly but not everyone will and they are the ones to worry about. 

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Maybe you're onto something...
I saw this noted in an online flyer from my local ganja shop...

Cannabis May Show Promise in Treating COVID-19.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/05/13/cannabis-may-show-promise-in-treating-covid-19-her.aspx

"The extracts of our most successful and novel high CBD C. sativa lines, pending further investigation, may become a useful and safe addition to the treatment of COVID-19 as an adjunct therapy. They can be used to develop easy-to-use preventative treatments in the form of mouthwash and throat gargle products for both clinical and at-home use."

There you go...smoke 'em if you got 'em...as my Granddaddy use to say. 

I'll be alright then 😁😁

7 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

No offense but your post was filled with hysterical nonsense. The majority of decent people want to get back to work now. The instructions are clear for those who want to understand them, use your common sense and go back to work if you can whilst maintaining social distancing measures where possible..

Not in the USA. Studies show that 64% would not go back to work if they were asked to tomorrow. That is what common sense is telling them. 

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/majority-of-americans-would-feel-uncomfortable-returning-to-work-now/

Edited by Kathmandu