Visa numpty here.

Aqualung

I know I should know after 14 trips to Thailand but not being one for reading threads re visas or extensions I thought I would ask here, saving me the time trawling the forum. 

I have never previously stayed in Los for more than 28 days but this coming December the TW wants to make a trip and stay 40 days. 

If I turn up at BKK immigration and they see that my return trip home is more than the 30 days visa exempt, will they decline me entry there and then? Even though I plan on extending the visa whilst in Bangkok. 

If so, as a brit living in Sweden without a residence permit ( awaiting a decision on that BTW) how would I be able to spend 40 days in Thailand? 

Thanks fellas. 

30-day entry stamp + time/baht for extension?

(+maybe questions from the airline on length of stay)

or

60-day tourist visa prior to the trip?

-- get it (on line?) and go with no problems

. . .

Edited by lazarus
time is money
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

30-day entry stamp + time/baht for extension?

(+maybe questions from the airline on length of stay)

or

60-day tourist visa prior to the trip?

-- get it (on line?) and go with no problems

. . .

Or a side trip to one of the neighbouring countries?

• Like 1

You could book your flights for a thirty day stay. Then reschedule. I’ve mainly flown China Airlines but this coming trip in ANA, and both airlines have allowed changes to the return flight at no charge. Then you extend your visa as planned. 

• Like 2

A side trip to another country will work, but I think you need proof of the flight prior to arrival in Bangkok.

One year I got a 60 day visa and then a week into my trip I went with mates to Loei by bus and on the way back they stamped my visa with a 15 day visa. I ended up paying a fine at the airport when I was leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Siam Addict said:

A side trip to another country will work, but I think you need proof of the flight prior to arrival in Bangkok.

One year I got a 60 day visa and then a week into my trip I went with mates to Loei by bus and on the way back they stamped my visa with a 15 day visa. I ended up paying a fine at the airport when I was leaving.

Presume you went across the border somewhere or do you mean Laos instead of Loei.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I know I should know after 14 trips to Thailand but not being one for reading threads re visas or extensions I thought I would ask here, saving me the time trawling the forum. 

I have never previously stayed in Los for more than 28 days but this coming December the TW wants to make a trip and stay 40 days. 

If I turn up at BKK immigration and they see that my return trip home is more than the 30 days visa exempt, will they decline me entry there and then? Even though I plan on extending the visa whilst in Bangkok. 

If so, as a brit living in Sweden without a residence permit ( awaiting a decision on that BTW) how would I be able to spend 40 days in Thailand? 

Thanks fellas. 

60 day tourist visa. Dead easy all done online and then no worries at arrival or at any time really.

They are very helpful online and if more information is required etc ...

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Aqualung said:

It's not Bangkok immigration that will cause a problem, but more likely the airline before you leave.  The options seem to be obtaining a tourist visa, or re-scheduling your return after you have taken the outbound as mentioned.

A third option is to buy a throwaway ticket to leave the country, with no intention to use it except to show it if asked at check in.  There are also websites who will book you a "dummy" ticket for the same purpose for about $15 USD.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

6 hours ago, KWA said:

It's not Bangkok immigration that will cause a problem, but more likely the airline before you leave.  The options seem to be obtaining a tourist visa, or re-scheduling your return after you have taken the outbound as mentioned.

A third option is to buy a throwaway ticket to leave the country, with no intention to use it except to show it if asked at check in.  There are also websites who will book you a "dummy" ticket for the same purpose for about $15 USD.

If my daughter only had a British passport I might have considered getting her a 60 day tourist visa or a fully refundable ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

As she is a Thai national by birth (dual nationality), will be holding her expired passport as well as the British passport, her Thai birth certificate and traveling with her Thai mother I believe we will have no issue. There is always a jobsworth willing to piss us off though.

• Like 2

OK just for those who may get a problem at check in and are thinking of buying a throw away ticket.

I have checked and Cathay Pacific will allow you to hold a flight out of Bangkok to Hong Kong for 72 hours. You must give them details of a credit card but you will only be charged a fee of 425 baht if you cancel. If you pay the full amount you can also get a refund within 72 hours, again for a fee of 425 baht.

That is according to their website as I tried to book a seat for my daughter and basically at the payment page I got this information:

Your booking will be held for 72 hours. If you choose not to book your flight or cancel, the holding fee will be charged to your card. If you complete this booking before the time below, the holding fee will be waived. Payment methods accepted for this transaction are listed below. If you wish to use another payment method, please select "Pay now".
 23:00 Thursday 14 July 2022(Bangkok time)

I am sure there are some here who know this option. You can not hold a flight within 7 days of departure but that is not a problem if you are just booking to get through check in, just book over 7 days ahead.  If you are a Marco Polo member you do not need to offer a deposit payment.
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 1

15 hours ago, KWA said:

Correct - over thirteen years of travel from YVR with EVA, I only had one check-in agent query me about the fact that my ticket term exceeded my visa term - I think she was a rookie agent and once she called a supervisor over the issue was cleared up and I was free to go. I'd usually get a 60 day visa before I left Canada but book for a 3 month flight, then just change my ticket and get a visa extension after the 60 days - if you went to the EVA office in BKK in person, you could change your return date for free. 

On one occasion I made a side trip from BKK to Sydney on Thai Air to attend my niece's wedding and I got a really rough time from the Thai Air check-in agent in Sydney when I was trying to return because my EVA r/t ticket from YVR had an open return - thankfully I had already booked a r/t trip to Phnom Penh for an upcoming visa run and that satisfied her but there is no doubt that she would not have allowed me on the plane without it - seems she figured  that Thai immigration would turn me back if I had no firm date of leaving the country and Thai Air would have to return me to Australia! 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:56 AM, nampla69 said:

60 day tourist visa. Dead easy all done online and then no worries at arrival or at any time really.

They are very helpful online and if more information is required etc ...

Made myself an account regarding the application online regarding the 60 days visa. Thanks Namps. 

Now, my problem / worry is that one of the first questions asked is where I am a permanent resident. 

I have lived in Sweden for nearly 2 years and I applied for a residence permit in October 2021. Having supplied further info to the Swedish migration agency in February this year I'm still waiting on a decision. I've been pushed from pillar to post to get things sorted here but it's like talking to a fucking rocking horse! 

So I can't really answer the question on the online application unless I lie and say I'm UK resident, or can I? 

Thanks for all the replies chaps. 

Much appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Made myself an account regarding the application online regarding the 60 days visa. Thanks Namps. 

Now, my problem / worry is that one of the first questions asked is where I am a permanent resident. 

I have lived in Sweden for nearly 2 years and I applied for a residence permit in October 2021. Having supplied further info to the Swedish migration agency in February this year I'm still waiting on a decision. I've been pushed from pillar to post to get things sorted here but it's like talking to a fucking rocking horse! 

So I can't really answer the question on the online application unless I lie and say I'm UK resident, or can I? 

Much appreciated. 

I think that refers to where you permanently reside, they often require a bill with your address and name on it for proof. Not a big deal if you have lived there for a couple of years.

7 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Much appreciated. 

It's not lying .....it's just 'My truth' ? ....who said that recently?

They don't delve too deeply once they see you have a return flight etc .....

11 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Much appreciated. 

As long as the Swedish authorities know you are living there pending a decision, you are already residing in Sweden.