Amazing Thailand

forcebwithu

2 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I couldn't make the video play, but I would say agree with you not to assume anything, with the addition of the fact that if it is bigger than you, give it the right of way whether it belongs to them or not...

Video is in the article. @lazarus post contains just a screen grab.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2024/04/22/swiss-national-in-coma-after-brutal-hit-in-pattaya/

• Thanks 1

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Got it now and you're right, that guy on the trike didn't look or even try to slow down - doesn't make it entirely his fault but I'd have much better self-preservation instincts than that even at home. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Got it now and you're right, that guy on the trike didn't look or even try to slow down - doesn't make it entirely his fault but I'd have much better self-preservation instincts than that even at home. 

This touches on another subject, how aging affects our mind and motor skills and at what point do we become a danger to ourselves and others if we continue drive and/or ride.

We're not in a position to judge this particular gentleman, but we probably know of others who are family or friend that we would question their decision to continue to operate any type of vehicle on a public road, especially the busy and chaotic ones in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

This touches on another subject, how aging affects our mind and motor skills and at what point do we become a danger to ourselves and others if we continue drive and/or ride.

We're not in a position to judge this particular gentleman, but we probably know of others who are family or friend that we would question their decision to continue to operate any type of vehicle on a public road, especially the busy and chaotic ones in Thailand.

Oh, don't I know it - my own mother was becoming a hazard on our city streets as her dementia progressed - she drove a very distinctive vehicle and I was hearing reports of her erratic driving from friends and acquaintances; I took her to her doctor one day with other issues and had a word with him about this, and he had her license taken away - oh, was she pissed off about this and if she had ever found out that it was because of me I probably would have been disowned. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha, well I was just about to write a bad tempered, grouchy post about it being 40 something degrees and the kin electric had been off for the last hour 🥵. Lo and behold it’s just come back on again 😎

Amazing Thailand 🙄🙏

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lazarus said:

In the video, what about the silver car that stopped at the intersection that the white car went around? Looks like it was giving the cross traffic the right of way?

TiT...don't assume anything, right?

The silver car did stop but he saw the Swiss guy already crossing, the white car just felt he had right of way and probably didn't see the Swiss guy till he hit him. Maybe the silver car wanted to turn right, he was in the correct lane.

Its just Thailand and with no traffic lights it really is a lottery as to who has right of way. The Swiss guy just looks like he was 'eyes front' and driving across that intersection whatever. Just a really sad situation which happens many times a day in Thailand due to lack of driving skills, bad luck and lack of awareness.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chatting to one of the nephews who is in the Police stationed near Korat.

German guy comes in to report his pickup has been stolen. Turns out his wife sold it because of gambling debts. The buyer is the nephew’s boss….

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/23/2024 at 10:40 AM, maipenrai said:

I didn't watch the vid. But I can easily visualize.

Stuff like that never fails to baffle me.

----------

A couple years ago in Central CM (Loi Kroh Road. Intersection (there is a police box there), just past the canal bridge.

Walking. I approached the corner sidewalk area at the intersection. No traffic, yet I pause anyway (I suppose habit). I sensed something. 

Then I hear a motorbike whizzing along travelling toward the intersection. Something seemed odd. It was the sound, it wasn't slowing down. I waited with one foot on the roadway, the other on the curb, still in pause mode.

A small car comes from the cross direction, enters the intersection. The motorbike impacts the side of the car. The bike shatters into dozens of pieces. The bike driver flies over the car, bounces off the pavement and lands about a yard from my foot in the roadway.

The bike driver was screaming and writhing in agony.

I thought to myself. "Well, at least he is screaming. He will probably make it."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Driving Back to Hua Hin from Pranburi one day the wife emitted a horrible scream and pointed to the other dual carriageway and I saw two bodies flying through the air and crashing down on the roadway. Obviously I stopped and looked at what they’d hit, which was an old, rusty red pickup. In the back of which was a motorcycle and yet another injured motor cyclist, who turned out to have been the driver who was dead and the two I’d seen airborne were his passengers.
The pickup driver had pulled straight out to cross the two lanes to join traffic going my way and the motorcycle had T Boned him right at the B Pillar, depositing the motorcycle and driver into his rear load area and the other two on their short, but bone shattering flight. 
The driver died on impact apparently, as he took the brunt of the impact. 
My FIL a police chief, was following us in his car, so he walked across to help out in a situation that he’d probably seen a hundred times before, a motorcycle versus a pickup. 
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid many Thai drivers are when crossing very busy highways, seemingly without a care in the world, oblivious to other road users coming their way. 

Edited by KhunDon
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Driving Back to Hua Hin from Pranburi one day the wife emitted a horrible scream and pointed to the other dual carriageway and I saw two bodies flying through the air and crashing down on the roadway. Obviously I stopped and looked at what they’d hit, which was an old, rusty red pickup. In the back of which was a motorcycle and yet another injured motor cyclist, who turned out to have been the driver who was dead and the two I’d seen airborne were his passengers.
The pickup driver had pulled straight out to cross the two lanes to join traffic going my way and the motorcycle had T Boned him right at the B Pillar, depositing the motorcycle and driver into his rear load area and the other two on their short, but bone shattering flight. 
The driver died on impact apparently, as he took the brunt of the impact. 
My FIL a police chief, was following us in his car, so he walked across to help out in a situation that he’d probably seen a hundred times before, a motorcycle versus a pickup. 
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid many Thai drivers are when crossing very busy highways, seemingly without a care in the world, oblivious to other road users coming their way. 

Nothing like a good T=Bone...

Pan Seared T-Bone Steak

Ugh

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The black, smelly water that was flowing out of a pipe in Na Jomtien a month ago has now made an appearance farther north in Jomtien.

I wondered at the time when it was reported they blocked and covered up the pipe in Na Jomtien if that was all they did. And if all they did was block the pipe as a quick and dirty fix, then that black, smelly water would be making an appearance elsewhere. And guess what...

20Zb4RBvQH.jpg

image.png.19182edf27be7edc6cd3d382b7d673f4.png

• Sad 3
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

The black, smelly water that was flowing out of a pipe in Na Jomtien a month ago has now made an appearance farther north in Jomtien.

I wondered at the time when it was reported they blocked and covered up the pipe in Na Jomtien if that was all they did. And if all they did was block the pipe as a quick and dirty fix, then that black, smelly water would be making an appearance elsewhere. And guess what...

20Zb4RBvQH.jpg

image.png.19182edf27be7edc6cd3d382b7d673f4.png

I'm sure those drain pipes throughout the entire area are clogged to the max. Water gets down there and just festers turning black as coal. 

When the water finally finds an escape route the smell must be noxious.

• Thumbs Up 1