Things You Wish You Were Good At.

galenkia

7 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I would love to be able to sing in tune, unfortunately at a Karaoke they put me on at last orders to get everyone out. :default_1087:

I could sing okay before I got tasered twice in the chest. Sometimes it's hard to even talk properly now.

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I could sing okay before I got tasered twice in the chest. Sometimes it's hard to even talk properly now.

You shouldn't be such a hard bastard, one taser would be enough for me. Lol. 

Edited by boydeste
  • Haha 2

I wish I could play the guitar. My mom wanted me to take lessons way back when I was 6 or 7 years old, she was a huge Glen Campbell fan and hoped her son could learn to play a couple of his tunes eventually, but I just never took any interest in it then.

Now, I wish I had given it a shot. I marvel at those who can play, in any genre, and especially with an acoustic guitar. To be able to knock off some instrumentals of hit songs probably would have gotten me a few beers and babes over the years.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I would love to be able to draw and paint but I have absolutely zero talent at it.

Would also like to be able to play the bass to a decent level but I struggle as my fingers are short so it's hard to reach note's others can.

My favourite programmes on TV are Portrait and Landscape Artists of the year  ... I have zero talent , but love watching these people producing their work ....which is why I like photography , you can still be creative , but technology helps you out 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

My favourite programmes on TV are Portrait and Landscape Artists of the year  ... I have zero talent , but love watching these people producing their work ....which is why I like photography , you can still be creative , but technology helps you out 

Bob Ross was my favourite,made it look so easy. And he always had happy little cloud's and tree's.😀

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I wish I could play the guitar. My mom wanted me to take lessons way back when I was 6 or 7 years old, she was a huge Glen Campbell fan and hoped her son could learn to play a couple of his tunes eventually, but I just never took any interest in it then.

Now, I wish I had given it a shot. I marvel at those who can play, in any genre, and especially with an acoustic guitar. To be able to knock off some instrumentals of hit songs probably would have gotten me a few beers and babes over the years.

My eldest brother was learning guitar when I was an adolescent and I wanted to follow in his footsteps but just couldn't do it - I know and can do the basic chords and can play a few hot licks and riffs but really have no sense of rhythm, and if you can't sing and play at the same time (even if you have a terrible voice) you just won't be able to  carry a tune; I tried again later in life and still couldn't master it so just gave up. 

• Like 3

Snooker. Since my Dad took me a local parlour at 17 or so, loved watching it on TV, and YouTube today. But I can’t play worth a damn……maybe if I practiced more often than every few years I’d be better! But I know it would be futile, my eyesight and aim, especially on longer shots, never been comfortable with that. The top pros don’t get the recognition they deserve, I mean it requires SUCH precision. 

I loved golf too as a beginner, almost quit because of a very faulty grip, but persevered and went from the 140’s to a best of 76 in about 4 summers. I know if I had kept on and stayed in shape I’d have shot under par soon enough. But snooker IMO is way more exacting, in golf you can actually recover from a bad shot. A guy who is really bad can go from a 35 handicap to a 10 or better with some work. But someone going from sinking a single red to breaks of 70+…….not going to happen unless you’re very special

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

That’s funny Eric. I am the least artistic guy out there, no balance, no rhythm, can’t sing or dance or downhill ski. But in 2010, just when I came back from Thailand, I had 2 new roommates, and first night after work we all got to know each other & had some brews. One of them brought out his guitar, and I messed around a bit and it started making sense! I really liked it and actually produced some nice sounds. Beginners luck maybe? 

It’s never too late, I’m sure if you give it another shot, you’d be amazed at the progress you can make

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

When I was 10 , my headmaster asked me to mime during the singing in assembly .... 🎵 

Haha I had similar with the tambourine as I was told I was out of sequence - little did my primary school know that i was a pioneer of progressive , modernist mid somerset trance music ( made the last bit up)

I wish my 21 years of playing  footy had been in Arsenal's midfield as opposed to the amateur game.

I would still probably have ended up with two f***d knees and a left hip that needs replacing but at least I would have been able to pay for private treatment instead of being somewhere in the NHS never ending queue for treatment.

Playing Baseball at the collegiate level was a real "eye opener" for me. It did not take me long to figure out that I was NOT going to make it to the major leagues or get drafted by any team. It was not because I did not put in the effort back in the 70's to be good at it, worked with a hitting coach etc. I was good, but not great, and you had to be great to get to the pro level or get a look by the scouts.  

When you see "professional" players of any sport, at any pro level, I now know how much effort they had to put into it. Alot of people say, "Oh they were just born with that skill and got lucky" 

Read LeBron James book one time and see how hard he had to work to get to be where he is at.......Steph Curry the same. 

One of my favorite Baseball players, Wade Boggs, the amount of things he had to do to be able to consistently have a 300. Batting average in his career was mind boggling. He would get pissed off if the " hit" he got, did not come off the bat the way he thought it should have. Jesus Christ.....

But...I am glad I found Thailand and, was able to convince the girls I met, I was worth going with for the evening. Hee Hee!   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Playing Baseball at the collegiate level was a real "eye opener" for me. It did not take me long to figure out that I was NOT going to make it to the major leagues or get drafted by any team. It was not because I did not put in the effort back in the 70's to be good at it, worked with a hitting coach etc. I was good, but not great, and you had to be great to get to the pro level or get a look by the scouts.  

When you see "professional" players of any sport, at any pro level, I now know how much effort they had to put into it. Alot of people say, "Oh they were just born with that skill and got lucky" 

One of my favorite Baseball players, Wade Boggs, the amount of things he had to do to be able to consistently have a 300. Batting average in his career was mind boggling. He would get pissed off if the " hit" he got, did not come off the bat the way he thought it should have. 

Mike, I respectfully disagree about the effort versus born skill. That is why we have   1st round draft busts, and we have undrafted guys who make their respective Hall of Fame. Some guys are talented enough to make it to the pros, but have ZERO work ethic - they ARE born lucky IMO. But I think we agree that the very best are the ones who are naturals AND work their asses off practicing. Kobe RIP was a good example, he said if Shaq worked just as hard, they would have had 12 titles together

Boggs and Tony Gwynn(RIP) were maybe the 2 best pure hitters I ever saw. Pete, well as much as I agree they have to let him in the HOF, I think those 4,000+ hits had lots to do with longevity, played until 46? It will never be beaten…I mean facing today’s pitching, and a kid would have to start at 19 and immediately average 200+ hits until he’s 40. No way. 

Don’t feel bad about realizing you weren’t pro material I finally started hitting OK just when I quit at 17, wasn’t scared of the fastball anymore. But I never faced the nasty off speed pitches you probably did ……that changes everything. I remember an announcer during an EXPOS game, they were getting pummelled by the Reds. He said about Jose Rijo IIRC, “ his pitches are almost impossible to hit when you’re WAITING on them” …..now imagine you’re not!  

• Thumbs Up 1