Current Road Works Pattaya (Threads Merged)

Bazle

16 minutes ago, tko said:

The Pattaya News is reporting that soi Buakhao is to be converted to one way within the next week or two.

North to South, or south to north?

Or, more interestingly,  will it be south to north north of the lengkee/Diana cross roads, and north to south south of it....?!

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I think it would be a good idea to make it one way traffic, it would make it a lot more dangerous for pedestrians as you will have motobikes and even cars speeding past slow moving Baht buses and not to mention motorbikes ignoring the one way system.

I think it should be completely pedestrianized or at least from North of Tree town down to Soi 15, but then all that will do is double the traffic on the side soi's.

• Thumbs Up 1

Soi Bukow works just the way it is....Its one big problem is the Soi Diana intersection....That intersection is in bad need of traffic lights....

The one way makes big losers out of businesses and apartments depending on their location....

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Painter said:

North to South, or south to north?

Or, more interestingly,  will it be south to north north of the lengkee/Diana cross roads, and north to south south of it....?!

And what about the Baht busses and food vendors?

I reckon the best way is to stop ALL traffic apart from motorcycles, baht busses and food vendors. Cars can find their way without using soi Buakhao and delivery trucks can be mornings only ....

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I reckon the best way is to stop ALL traffic apart from motorcycles, baht busses and food vendors. Cars can find their way without using soi Buakhao and delivery trucks can be mornings only ....

Could be a problem if we drink a bar dry by early evening.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, fforest said:

Its one big problem is the Soi Diana intersection....That intersection is in bad need of traffic lights....

Traffic Lights on busy junctions like that do not work in Asia. They do not understand that the junction is a "yellow box" which means that you can't enter it even if green if your exit is not clear. With traffic lights they will just drive into the blocked junction just because they are on green, as will the next one on green will do...

Leave that junction to the "Asian way" is my opinion..

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Traffic Lights on busy junctions like that do not work in Asia. They do not understand that the junction is a "yellow box" which means that you can't enter it even if green if your exit is not clear. With traffic lights they will just drive into the blocked junction just because they are on green, as will the next one on green will do...

Leave that junction to the "Asian way" is my opinion..

It's amazing how well the Lengkee/Buakhao/Diana intersection works without traffic lights. Rarely do you hear any honking of horns. Drivers just bide their time until it's their turn to make it through the intersection. It works well as is, and even with the traffic backups on Buakhao, you still can get from one end to the other in a reasonable amount of time.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Nah. I'd go for odd date/even date like they do with parking on Pattaya Tai. Odd date north to south, even date south to north.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Nah. I'd go for odd date/even date like they do with parking on Pattaya Tai. Odd date north to south, even date south to north.

That would make for some hilarious scenes. Add to the fact most, myself included, more often than not forget what date it is.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

The more I think about Soi Bukow having ZERO sidewalks the worse the idea of having free-flowing traffic seems...

All the walkers are currently protected by the slow-moving traffic.....

And without a 2 way, there will be a whole lot more walkers....

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

They would just love to bulldoze the whole street I am sure...

What a frustration Soi Bukow has been for them....And a non-money maker...

No Trees to cut

No sidewalks to rebuild

No crosswalks to paint or the electronic ones..

No signs to take down

No lighting to install

No need for threats for land encroachment...

No need for nightly police patrols like the beach

Very few if any after-hours clubs to raid

A failed no-motorbike parking

A failed Baht bus ban...

Soi Bukow must just drive bureaucrats nuts because they have not been able to do anything there....

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...

This might be the reason the footpath destruction and reconstruction is moving in fits and starts. They started on putting in new curbs on the north end many, many months ago, but for some reason they didn't continue on the entire length of Beach Rd. Now they're finally getting around to replacing the curbs on the south end, and until they do that's holding up the footpath work. Amazing Thailand.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

They started on putting in new curbs on the north end many, many months ago, but for some reason they didn't continue on the entire length of Beach Rd. Now they're finally getting around to replacing the curbs on the south end, and until they do that's holding up the footpath work. 

I consider those curb stones potentially lethal. 

You stand on one to cross the road, go to take off, and lose your balance because there is not a 90° edge but a 135° one. 

It also means it is more difficult to walk on the raised tarmac of the new road with a single stride from the pavement. 

It wouldn't take much for someone to attempt to dash out in front of a speeding vehicle only to get hit by it as they had lost their balance. 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:57 AM, forcebwithu said:

It's amazing how well the Lengkee/Buakhao/Diana intersection works without traffic lights. Rarely do you hear any honking of horns. Drivers just bide their time until it's their turn to make it through the intersection. It works well as is, and even with the traffic backups on Buakhao, you still can get from one end to the other in a reasonable amount of time.

I agree. Absolutely amazed me in the beginning. Took a long time for me to get to where I understood it and felt at least a little less anxiety.

It's alot about rhythm. But Thai traffic still freaks me out a little. Soi Bucky is an absolute nightmare though. I don't care how anyone cuts it.

The thing I am mostly on guard with when walking or riding are the sneaky fcukers that pop out in front of you coming out of a small side soi. So, I just follow a defensive driving rule - always expect it. Always stay fully focused when in motion, stay relaxed physically but seriously focused mentally. 

Some of the driving I used to do when working in the north loop of Chicago area was unreal. But over time it was like a piece of cake. 

By far the thing to watch out for the most are the idiot farangs on motorbikes. I better not say anything else on that topic, I might get banned. Lets just say....I'd go ballistic.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Always stay fully focused when in motion, stay relaxed physically but seriously focused mentally.

Situational awareness saved my bacon this morning with the incident I posted over in the Great Rant topic. If I hadn't been checking my mirror, what ended up being a sideswipe on my bike could have easily been me getting t-boned by the other bike.

2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Situational awareness saved my bacon this morning with the incident I posted over in the Great Rant topic. If I hadn't been checking my mirror, what ended up being a sideswipe on my bike could have easily been me getting t-boned by the other bike.

Expect anything and everything.

----------------------------

On a side note. Back in the day I worked shitloads of accidents.

There were a lot of different types of accidents, obviously. But often you would hear it - there was the screeeech - boom. And then there was the just boom. 

I would know when enroute before even being dispatched when I heard the just boom ones, it wasn't gonna be pretty.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, KWA said:

Expect a bit of fun and games on the roads next weekend during Pattaya fireworks.  Beach Road closed from 3:00pm on both days and two way traffic on 2nd Road.  More info on The Pattaya News website.

fireworks road closure 2023.jpg

Speaking of fireworks.....

One year I sat on the beach with a friend and watched them on one of the nights. I was staying on Soi 13, it was a nice show and a pleasent evening. Then (I think it was two years later) I lived in VT 6. It seemed like the blasting went on for days. Those events might be enjoyable for some folks, but for me they became a boring, annoyance.

The last couple of nights up here in CM the neighborhood fire cracker heads have started up. It will go on for days. If I remember correctly last year it went on for five straight nights, several hours each night.

No doubt the next few days.... somebody will be losing a finger and eye or their life.

I was on Soi 13/1 drinking on New Years Eve a few years back when the guy blew his face off on Soi 13/2. Nasty stuff.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

I take it I'm not the only guy here who sits in the bar opposite the Soi diana / Pothole junction with a cold beer watching the world go by?.

"hellfire pass" is good entertainment. I've seen a few near misses over the years but as mentioned by another BM, it does seem to work. Little bit like some of the intersections in Manila, but without the gunfire.

• Like 1