The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

Achilles tendinitis or a cramp..I may have once or twice a month  I get this,usually when laying in bed,ankle just siezes up and can't put weight on it ,very difficult to walk,few hours later gone like nothing happened,very strange,probably brought on by hiking ect,happened in Thailand twice now waking up in the morning, had to wait till afternoon to go out.

Not sure if a podiatrist could help.

You might try a Magnesium tablet prior to bed. Helps with cramping and nerve/muscle issues.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Achilles tendinitis or a cramp..I may have once or twice a month  I get this,usually when laying in bed,ankle just siezes up and can't put weight on it ,very difficult to walk,few hours later gone like nothing happened,very strange,probably brought on by hiking ect,happened in Thailand twice now waking up in the morning, had to wait till afternoon to go out.

Not sure if a podiatrist could help.

Often caused by dhydration.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I’m on a diet since 11th September but really starting to cut down in August when in holiday. I was 120kg then. When I commenced dieting properly on 11th september I was 117.8kg now down to 106.2kg with a target of 100kg.

I’m on a total diet replacement whereby you have replacement ‘meals’ with each being c 220kcals each and you’re supposed to have 4 per day but I generally have 3 per day.

I do however cheat and have beers on a Friday and Saturday with some food on the weekend as I just can’t do a 7!day strict programme.

But be just starting introducing exercise to my routine so hoping this will aid the process and get to my goal by the end of November but then the hard part is sticking to / re introducing daily healthy eating and exercise. I fear I may have to do at least 2 days on the TDR meals to keep a weekly balance - let’s see 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

17 minutes ago, AJSP said:

I’m on a diet since 11th September but really starting to cut down in August when in holiday. I was 120kg then. When I commenced dieting properly on 11th september I was 117.8kg now down to 106.2kg with a target of 100kg.

I’m on a total diet replacement whereby you have replacement ‘meals’ with each being c 220kcals each and you’re supposed to have 4 per day but I generally have 3 per day.

I do however cheat and have beers on a Friday and Saturday with some food on the weekend as I just can’t do a 7!day strict programme.

But be just starting introducing exercise to my routine so hoping this will aid the process and get to my goal by the end of November but then the hard part is sticking to / re introducing daily healthy eating and exercise. I fear I may have to do at least 2 days on the TDR meals to keep a weekly balance - let’s see 

Excercise is the key, and lots of it. Along with cutting down booze intake.

4 beers 5 days a week = >< 3,000 calories,

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Excercise is the key, and lots of it. Along with cutting down booze intake.

4 beers 5 days a week = >< 3,000 calories,

For me it’s a combo of all 3 -  I need to eat a bit healthier, exercise and cut down the booze - all achievable 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, AJSP said:

I thought I was doing well getting down to 74 kgs from 81kgs in 6 months. 
Well done in getting shot of 14kgs, keep it up, you’ll feel a whole lot better for losing the lard. 🤗

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Hey...I am not just a 1 trick pony either...50 pound barbell curls too LOL!  

I do a lot of my lifts with just a standard bench bar (I think they are typically 45 pounds, if i remember correctly). Including curls. 

Then mix in dumb bell single curls while sitting on a bench (elbow on knee), isolating the bicep (drop the weight on the floor at point of exhaustion). 

Form, and balance, and timing (rest between sets) are key for maximizing. Along with focus, and proper safe technique. Also... limit distractions whenever possible. I've never used a work out partner (IMO can be very detrimental and even hazardous).

Lifting can be meditation if approached the right way.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Very nice! Pet hate of mine in gyms is watching some knucklehead with a too large a weight using momentum to do the same exercise.  

Textbook from you😎

Yes, forearms don't move, stay by your side. Don't swing it.

Textbook as you say from Mr Yes.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, AJSP said:

I have the Huel meal replacement shakes, full of all the vitamins and minerals you need and just under £2 per serving.

Have one in the morning for breakfast.

Then will eat again in the evening around 8pm and have a proper meal.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, AJSP said:

But be just starting introducing exercise to my routine so hoping this will aid the process and get to my goal by the end of November

Sounds like you are doing fantasticly well🤞

Several of you on here putting me to shame, not been to a gym for a month now. My excuse of moving to Thailand is wearing a bit thin now!!

This may not apply to you, but find when I restart exercise after a long lay off(more than a month), I will put on weight a first.

Muscle weighs more than fat, my weight will go up for a few weeks, plateau and then begin falling. Muscle burning more calories begin to kick.

Apologies if you are well aware of it.  But thought it worth a mention so you are not discourage by your weight changing as you exercise.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

All good inputs by everyone, good to see some of us taking our health seriously these days. No big revelation here but...you can be relatively healthy and go out eat/drink and STILL act like a "Rock Star" occassionally, just balance it all out with a good exercise program. One other thing I wanted to mention, I see alot of guys NOT doing cardio, because they just hate it. In my opinion a big mistake. Cardio burns fat and is essentail to good blood flow and really good for your heart. I am on a 3/2 schedule, 3 days at the gym, then 2 days of cardio on the treadmill here at the house. Following week, 3 days of cardio, then 2 days at the gym. I like this program and been doing it for many years now.

One other thing, I use "bands" as part of my routine too...especially good for shoulders. Like alot of us, I am NOT getting any younger and found that doing overhead military press was taking a toll on me, my neck was really sore day after. Using bands are a good way to take care of this problem. I bought the orange ones 6 months ago here. It may look easy, but they are not, but much better on the neck you know. 

Being smart and not trying to lift more then you are capable of doing is key too. Check your ego at the door you know. I tell you, I see some guys my age both Thai and others, doing way more then they should be doing. A complete disaster waiting to happen you know. If you blow out a disk in your back or something else....it is not going to be pleasant.

Keep up the good work gentlemen......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

All good inputs by everyone, good to see some of us taking our health seriously these days. No big revelation here but...you can be relatively healthy and go out eat/drink and STILL act like a "Rock Star" occassionally, just balance it all out with a good exercise program. One other thing I wanted to mention, I see alot of guys NOT doing cardio, because they just hate it. In my opinion a big mistake. Cardio burns fat and is essentail to good blood flow and really good for your heart. I am on a 3/2 schedule, 3 days at the gym, then 2 days of cardio on the treadmill here at the house. Following week, 3 days of cardio, then 2 days at the gym. I like this program and been doing it for many years now.

One other thing, I use "bands" as part of my routine too...especially good for shoulders. Like alot of us, I am NOT getting any younger and found that doing overhead military press was taking a toll on me, my neck was really sore day after. Using bands are a good way to take care of this problem. I bought the orange ones 6 months ago here. It may look easy, but they are not, but much better on the neck you know. 

Being smart and not trying to lift more then you are capable of doing is key too. Check your ego at the door you know. I tell you, I see some guys my age both Thai and others, doing way more then they should be doing. A complete disaster waiting to happen you know. If you blow out a disk in your back or something else....it is not going to be pleasant.

Keep up the good work gentlemen......

All good stuff here Yes.

Indeed, military press is not good. It can cause serious neck problems. I gave up doing them years ago. I also will not do deep squats with heavy weight or dead lifts.

Cardio is extremely important for a number of reasons. There may be periods where I can't get into a good lift routine, but cardio is always happening. I now get a lot of it from bicycling. Also my basic cardio wherever I am is walking, usually weighted down with groceries (or whatever). The walking is good for not only calorie burn, but vascular/heart strength (critical when getting older), and balance (also critical as we age).

Walking also builds stregth in muscles that may not be apparant, such and ankle/lower leg. I don't know how many times I have taken an odd step on a curb and bounce right back. If I hadn't had that ankle stregth and flexibility I would have gone down with a serious twist or sprain. If that happens you can go down for days, which can really screw up the program as well as make you miserable.

Walking comes before all else. Then you add on from there if you chose. The walking should always be the priority and can be very enjoyable (see things and meet people that you never would otherwise). It is such a simple thing that adds so much to your physical and mental well being. Really is difficult to measure the benefits, and it is free.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Sounds like you are doing fantasticly well🤞

Several of you on here putting me to shame, not been to a gym for a month now. My excuse of moving to Thailand is wearing a bit thin now!!

This may not apply to you, but find when I restart exercise after a long lay off(more than a month), I will put on weight a first.

Muscle weighs more than fat, my weight will go up for a few weeks, plateau and then begin falling. Muscle burning more calories begin to kick.

Apologies if you are well aware of it.  But thought it worth a mention so you are not discourage by your weight changing as you exercise.

Thanks. For me, I have to do a mixture of cardio ( walk, bike, row) plus weights and gentle home stretches etc as I find that covers all bases with the weights n cycling really toning the muscles- it’s just fitting it all in which I need to make time to do. 
pretty sure you can get back into it !

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, lazarus said:

Plus...if you're on the treadmill at the gym you won't miss seeing the locals working out ... 😉

395256707_7269362303082299_3763189028445720167_n.jpg

395185985_7269362343082295_963751121493141708_n.jpg

This is one motivating factor. Two Spanish ladies were in the gym totter day and certainly kept me there 15 mins longer than I had planned 😜

• Haha 5