The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

2 minutes ago, AJSP said:

Thanks. For me, I have to do a mixture of cardio ( walk, bike, row) plus weights and gentle home stretches etc as I find that covers all bases with the weights n cycling really toning the muscles- it’s just fitting it all in which I need to make time to do. 
pretty sure you can get back into it !

All sounds very sensible if you are pushed for time I find the online Yoga videos like a Adrienne really good. 10 to 15 minutes long,  warm up before hand and guaranteed you'll get a good work out, strength,  balance and flexibility. 

I can easily run 5k outdoors but a yoga video challenges me more as my flexibility needs work.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AJSP said:

This is one motivating factor. Two Spanish ladies were in the gym totter day and certainly kept me there 15 mins longer than I had planned 😜

Certainly can be used for good wank material.   🤪

Can also be hazardeous on a treadmill. I would end up on the floor with a broken neck.

I often will take a short break when I run into a special attraction on my walks. I pull out the mobile and have a check on my location (lol). I often will resist though doing that. If I don't I won't be able to keep up my heart rate. 

I have a method that has helped me. I just say to myself.... "You can't fcuk them all". A sort of reality check, yet in a good way. Because it always brings an internal smile. Because I know I can't fcuk them all, but at least I can fcuk some of them.

• Haha 3

This guy is one year older than I am. I must say.... he's got my respect.

Talk about being in shape !

Jesus H. !   The scene of him strapping on that bag of ice and then trudging through the snow. Holy Toledo !

That bag must weigh a friggen ton.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Surprised 1

8 hours ago, Yessongs said:

All good inputs by everyone, good to see some of us taking our health seriously these days. No big revelation here but...you can be relatively healthy and go out eat/drink and STILL act like a "Rock Star" occassionally, just balance it all out with a good exercise program. One other thing I wanted to mention, I see alot of guys NOT doing cardio, because they just hate it. In my opinion a big mistake. Cardio burns fat and is essentail to good blood flow and really good for your heart. I am on a 3/2 schedule, 3 days at the gym, then 2 days of cardio on the treadmill here at the house. Following week, 3 days of cardio, then 2 days at the gym. I like this program and been doing it for many years now.

One other thing, I use "bands" as part of my routine too...especially good for shoulders. Like alot of us, I am NOT getting any younger and found that doing overhead military press was taking a toll on me, my neck was really sore day after. Using bands are a good way to take care of this problem. I bought the orange ones 6 months ago here. It may look easy, but they are not, but much better on the neck you know. 

Being smart and not trying to lift more then you are capable of doing is key too. Check your ego at the door you know. I tell you, I see some guys my age both Thai and others, doing way more then they should be doing. A complete disaster waiting to happen you know. If you blow out a disk in your back or something else....it is not going to be pleasant.

Keep up the good work gentlemen......

I only do cardio, I have no interest in trying to gain muscle at my age, just keep fit and my weight down.

• Like 2

I was interested in losing weight rather than building muscle. When I was at the gym I did free weights, fixed weights and cardio yet I found I lost more weight and felt better by walking on the ridge (30 mins uphill) near my house. The weight dropped off.

When I was at the gym, I wasn't hauling big weights but had quite a few aches and pains, but walking seems to have boosted my mental strength and, with less aches as well as the loss of weight.

Only problem I have presently, is that we have had one sunny day in the last 2 weeks and it's forecast for rain for the next 10 days. Difficult to get out for long walks, although I am still doing over 8000 steps everyday. 

The wife was given two quality bikes from a family friend who has upgraded her family's bikes. Just need to get a saddle that won't split me down the middle and, maybe, with a little sun, we can all get out for a ride.

Weight for me is still hanging around 89 kilos (added a few pounds when in Thailand) and still eating well. Overall, feel healthy and at an acceptable weight but a few pounds less is the goal.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I was interested in losing weight rather than building muscle. When I was at the gym I did free weights, fixed weights and cardio yet I found I lost more weight and felt better by walking on the ridge (30 mins uphill) near my house. The weight dropped off.

When I was at the gym, I wasn't hauling big weights but had quite a few aches and pains, but walking seems to have boosted my mental strength and, with less aches as well as the loss of weight.

Only problem I have presently, is that we have had one sunny day in the last 2 weeks and it's forecast for rain for the next 10 days. Difficult to get out for long walks, although I am still doing over 8000 steps everyday. 

The wife was given two quality bikes from a family friend who has upgraded her family's bikes. Just need to get a saddle that won't split me down the middle and, maybe, with a little sun, we can all get out for a ride.

Weight for me is still hanging around 89 kilos (added a few pounds when in Thailand) and still eating well. Overall, feel healthy and at an acceptable weight but a few pounds less is the goal.

The thing about lifting is it strengthens muscles around your spine and joints. If done properly (slowly and with light weights) it can really add to eliminating joint aches and pains). There will naturally be intial soreness when starting out. But over time can significantly reduce joint pain, and help to limit joint injuries.

In my case there  was a time when lifting my arms to reach things above me was difficult due to pain in my shoulders. After a couple months of lifting those pains disappeared.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

I only do cardio, I have no interest in trying to gain muscle at my age, just keep fit and my weight down.

From what I've read your body starts to shrink at around 60 & the best way to delay that is with resistance exercises.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

From what I've read your body starts to shrink at around 60 & the best way to delay that is with resistance exercises.

When I was made redundant in February last year I weighed 61 kilograms, now I’m around 70 as I put on weight from being inactive. But I’m back at the gym again so my weight is dropping.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, galenkia said:

When I was made redundant in February last year I weighed 61 kilograms, now I’m around 70 as I put on weight from being inactive. But I’m back at the gym again so my weight is dropping.

70kg is no issue at your height, your too skinny for this board😉

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

The thing about lifting is it strengthens muscles around your spine and joints. If done properly (slowly and with light weights) it can really add to eliminating joint aches and pains). There will naturally be intial soreness when starting out. But over time can significantly reduce joint pain, and help to limit joint injuries.

In my case there  was a time when lifting my arms to reach things above me was difficult due to pain in my shoulders. After a couple months of lifting those pains disappeared.

I have a set of weights at home and also have bands, they are used pretty regularly. I also have upped my protein intake and reduced carbs. I seem to have more muscle than before and the mirror looks better when passing.

I am also a house husband, domestic engineer, home maker and that keeps me moving. I am retired and can relax, but I am never sitting down for long. The stairs are also climbed about 20 times a day. Having an 8 year old daughter also keeps you on your toes.

I am pretty happy with my lot right now.

• Like 2

One of the most striking effects of age is the involuntary loss of muscle mass, strength, and function, termed sarcopenia []. Muscle mass decreases approximately 3–8% per decade after the age of 30 and this rate of decline is even higher after the age of 60 [,]. This involuntary loss of muscle mass, strength, and function is a fundamental cause of and contributor to disability in older people. This is because sarcopenia increases the risks of falls and vulnerability to injury and, consequently, can lead to functional dependence and disability [,]. A decrease in muscle mass is also accompanied by a progressive increase in fat mass and consequently changes in body composition, and is associated with an increased incidence of insulin resistance in the elderly [,,,]. Furthermore, bone density decreases, joint stiffness increases, and there is a small reduction in stature (kyphosis). All these changes have probable implications for several conditions, including type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and osteoporosis.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/preserve-your-muscle-mass

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 3

3 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

One of the most striking effects of age is the involuntary loss of muscle mass, strength, and function, termed sarcopenia []. Muscle mass decreases approximately 3–8% per decade after the age of 30 and this rate of decline is even higher after the age of 60 [,]. This involuntary loss of muscle mass, strength, and function is a fundamental cause of and contributor to disability in older people. This is because sarcopenia increases the risks of falls and vulnerability to injury and, consequently, can lead to functional dependence and disability [,]. A decrease in muscle mass is also accompanied by a progressive increase in fat mass and consequently changes in body composition, and is associated with an increased incidence of insulin resistance in the elderly [,,,]. Furthermore, bone density decreases, joint stiffness increases, and there is a small reduction in stature (kyphosis). All these changes have probable implications for several conditions, including type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and osteoporosis.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/preserve-your-muscle-mass

^^^ Good one.

It's a bitch getting old, ain't it ?

You can't reverse nature, that's for sure. But there are so many things  people can do that will (while they can) contribute to their long term well being.

• Thumbs Up 3

At present (last 9 weeks) I’ve been suffering from sciatica in my right hip and leg and the pain is unbearable at times, especially when taken with the pain in my spine. 
Had an appointment with the physio nurse at my Gp’s two weeks ago but had to cancel as I couldn’t stand for more than one minute. 
So it’s life on the couch at the moment with the occasional foray to the loo and morphine in tablet and liquid form.  
Normally it goes away after 6 weeks, but this time it’s here to stay.  
Got another appointment with physio nurse next week, so hopefully I’ll get some exercise routines from her that aren’t too painful, but I’ve a feeling they will be a bitch, but hey, there are plenty of people who are worse off than me. 
Also got a booster jab booked around the same time and I’m determined not to cancel this one as I had to for the last one. 

Wife and son have both been fantastic and nothing is too much trouble for them to do to make me as comfortable as possible.  
It’s good to have family close by that you can turn to when you’re not well.  
Best thing I ever did when I married my wife. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

At present (last 9 weeks) I’ve been suffering from sciatica in my right hip and leg and the pain is unbearable at times, especially when taken with the pain in my spine. 
Had an appointment with the physio nurse at my Gp’s two weeks ago but had to cancel as I couldn’t stand for more than one minute. 
So it’s life on the couch at the moment with the occasional foray to the loo and morphine in tablet and liquid form.  
Got another appointment with physio nurse next week, so hopefully I’ll get some exercise routines from her that aren’t too painful, but I’ve a feeling they will be a bitch, but hey, there are plenty of people who are worse off than me. 
Also got a booster jab booked around the same time and I’m determined not to cancel this one as I had to for the last one. 

Wife and son have both been fantastic and nothing is too much trouble for them to do to make me as comfortable as possible.  

Have you tried nerve flossing? I had ne er heard of NF before running across it accidentally on youtube one day looking for nerve exercises. NF worked for me to relieve the electric shock pain when the sciatica would act up every time I stood up. It's temporary relief but I found myself repeating it every hour I was awake and I'm convinced that, that bit of focused exercise on the nerve area caused the nerve to stop griping much quicker than it would have otherwise.

Any way, like most things these days needing repair, plenty of youtube videos about it.

• Great Info 3

3 hours ago, KhunDon said:

I had sciatica 12 years ago , was in complete agony ....a couple of epidurals ( which only worked temporarily ) then a root nerve ganglion block resolved it for me , plus I have been doing Pilates to increase core strength ever since .. good luck it's a b'stard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Basically I’m living on takeaway food currently as I’m always at the hospice every afternoon onwards. Have a nice Italian restaurant and Chinese takeaway nearby so I can still eat healthy by ordering veggie food.

I know she appreciates it mate, hope she is not suffering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have come to the realization that it is time for me to start watching my figure again. When I got sick around New Year's, I was around 120kg, and now I am back up there again from a low of 106 around March 1. I was so obsessed with stopping the drop that I have been shovelling stuff into my mouth at will nonstop since the spring....guess I am not too sick anymore ! 14 kg in 8 months sounds like a lot, but honestly for me it is not considering I have zero restrictions and have carbs like cereal right before bed almost every night

But.....It is very obvious that I was not going to get away with that forever, turning 48 in MAY, as has been said above we ain't getting any younger. I too want to lift weights again, I know the benefits very well. But I am just so tired, any kind of labour just fatigues me so much, but I won't blame Long COVID 100%- I am getting closer to 50, was a lazy c**t the last 10-12 years, and the Zoloft+ BETA blocker combo is not exactly correlated with dancing on the ceiling

I still know it wasn't all in my head- when your heart suddenly beats 150+ just getting out of bed and you're frightened to spend more than 30 seconds on the bowl, and have to piss seated,something was very wrong. Living a pretty normal life since May, they have always assured me my heart is fine,  but FFS I feel like I aged 25 years- and that is AFTER losing between 70-100 pounds from my peak. But like I have stated, unless you are a billionaire and can run every advanced test possible, neurological, vitamins, etc......good luck getting a true cure. They would rather just feed you some pills and implement a Band Aid solution

Anyway, I am much happier than when I thought I was a dying man,,,,,one day at a time

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

59 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Have come to the realization that it is time for me to start watching my figure again. When I got sick around New Year's, I was around 120kg, and now I am back up there again from a low of 106 around March 1. I was so obsessed with stopping the drop that I have been shovelling stuff into my mouth at will nonstop since the spring....guess I am not too sick anymore ! 14 kg in 8 months sounds like a lot, but honestly for me it is not considering I have zero restrictions and have carbs like cereal right before bed almost every night

But.....It is very obvious that I was not going to get away with that forever, turning 48 in MAY, as has been said above we ain't getting any younger. I too want to lift weights again, I know the benefits very well. But I am just so tired, any kind of labour just fatigues me so much, but I won't blame Long COVID 100%- I am getting closer to 50, was a lazy c**t the last 10-12 years, and the Zoloft+ BETA blocker combo is not exactly correlated with dancing on the ceiling

I still know it wasn't all in my head- when your heart suddenly beats 150+ just getting out of bed and you're frightened to spend more than 30 seconds on the bowl, and have to piss seated,something was very wrong. Living a pretty normal life since May, they have always assured me my heart is fine,  but FFS I feel like I aged 25 years- and that is AFTER losing between 70-100 pounds from my peak. But like I have stated, unless you are a billionaire and can run every advanced test possible, neurological, vitamins, etc......good luck getting a true cure. They would rather just feed you some pills and implement a Band Aid solution

Anyway, I am much happier than when I thought I was a dying man,,,,,one day at a time

Really hope everything works out for you mate, we all have our issues, it’s just having the mental strength to deal with them. I’m on three medications just to deal with my mental health issues.

I’m pretty f***d up and shortly to have to bury my sister next to her 18 year old daughter, f**k me,that will be hard,but you have to try to cope.

Wish you all the best mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Yeah Matt, I have my version of "Natt" at home here....I help her and am her designated personal trainer LOL! 

Of course, she thinks her butt is still too big. 

I am working on a few gals at the gym....will post some videos/pics when I get them. The gals at the gym I go to, are really cool. 

IMG_9842.JPG

Oh, Jesus H. !!!    I'm speechless

• Thumbs Up 1