The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

Last job I had was taken out of desperation as I'd been out of work for over a year.  Worked nights, 21:00-07:00 seven days and then 7 days off.  As mentioned at the very least the first day off is just a recovery day and as I was in my sixties it frequently took more that one day to recover.  I remember my daughter saying how much better I looked after I quit.  Did that for 7 years until I hit 65 and social security pension kicked in.  Then I moved to Thailand.

That was in a hospital lab in a rural setting and maybe the most gratifying job I'd had as I got a lot more patient contact than I'd ever had in other similar jobs.  But yes, after 7 years I was definitely all done.
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, redwood13 said:
Last job I had was taken out of desperation as I'd been out of work for over a year.  Worked nights, 21:00-07:00 seven days and then 7 days off.  As mentioned at the very least the first day off is just a recovery day and as I was in my sixties it frequently took more that one day to recover.  I remember my daughter saying how much better I looked after I quit.  Did that for 7 years until I hit 65 and social security pension kicked in.  Then I moved to Thailand.

That was in a hospital lab in a rural setting and maybe the most gratifying job I'd had as I got a lot more patient contact than I'd ever had in other similar jobs.  But yes, after 7 years I was definitely all done.

Getting out early is worth millions in my mind (both in dollars and seconds of time).

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, redwood13 said:

Well done seeing it through. I'm sure the effort seems well worth it now.

• Like 1

Circuits class called off late notice, maybe instructor was ill or something.

So decided to go and test my running, see if i could do the same as i was before covid, which was the last time i was running on treadmills. 

Done 5km in 30mins, which pleased me, same as i used to do. And plus not long back from 3 weeks holiday, where apart from scuba, i didn't do any exercise. So getting back to fitness.

Happy enough, though would have preferred an hour's circuits.

HIIT tomorrow evening, have booked a spin class just incase the instructor is still off. Good cardio workout, a proper spin class where they get you as if cycling up a hill, and working your arms as well. 

• Thumbs Up 6

48 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Circuits class called off late notice, maybe instructor was ill or something.

So decided to go and test my running, see if i could do the same as i was before covid, which was the last time i was running on treadmills. 

Done 5km in 30mins, which pleased me, same as i used to do. And plus not long back from 3 weeks holiday, where apart from scuba, i didn't do any exercise. So getting back to fitness.

Happy enough, though would have preferred an hour's circuits.

HIIT tomorrow evening, have booked a spin class just incase the instructor is still off. Good cardio workout, a proper spin class where they get you as if cycling up a hill, and working your arms as well. 

I do 45 minutes at 6mph on the treadmill every day, keeps my weight down as I am not doing anything else currently, and keeps my fitness up.

No interest in weight training anymore, don’t want to aggravate my right shoulder as it can give me pain.

• Thumbs Up 6

22 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I do 45 minutes at 6mph on the treadmill every day, keeps my weight down as I am not doing anything else currently, and keeps my fitness up.

No interest in weight training anymore, don’t want to aggravate my right shoulder as it can give me pain.

I just alleviated pain in both shoulders.... completely. If you ease into it with light shoulder exercises you will be able to eliminate the shoulder pain. Guarenteed !   It's liberating mate.

Or.... you can continue to be a true mashcocist.

55555 !

Edited by Glasseye
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Helps me more mentally TBH.

But aye, physically as well, get the breakfast buffets off :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, galenkia said:

I am off to do 30 minutes on the treadmill at 6kph (not quite up to 6mph). Then about 30 minutes of fixed weights. Would be walking up my ridge for about 2 hours total, but the weather here in Wales is yet again wet and miserable.

I do agree though that my fitness regime is better suited to walking distances rather than pushing weights. Seem to lose more weight when upping the walking.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I am off to do 30 minutes on the treadmill at 6kph (not quite up to 6mph). Then about 30 minutes of fixed weights. Would be walking up my ridge for about 2 hours total, but the weather here in Wales is yet again wet and miserable.

I do agree though that my fitness regime is better suited to walking distances rather than pushing weights. Seem to lose more weight when upping the walking.

Walking is the only thing I’m interested in now, to old to worry about gaining muscle.

Plus I enjoy it as well.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Wanking is the only thing I’m interested in now, to old to worry about gaining muscle.

Plus I enjoy it as well.

Would help one arm, at least ...

OptimalFarflungHusky-size_restricted.gif.4dd1f3f0f908011bc2ed6151424bdd7b.gif.49fdb59e8f702af39ec0d86231c485dc.gif

• Haha 3

Aims/hypothesis

The associations of sitting, standing, physical activity and sleep with cardiometabolic health and glycaemic control markers are interrelated. We aimed to identify 24 h time-use compositions associated with optimal metabolic and glycaemic control and determine whether these varied by diabetes status.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-024-06145-0

• Confused 1

Any of you guys who live here, find yourself eating less because of the brutal heat? 

I have lost 3 pounds in the last month....even though yes, being in an air-conditioned home, you still have to go out and about. Just seems like my appetite is just not as strong right now. 

I normally weigh about 205 lbs, just checked, I am at 202 lbs. 

Yesterday at the gym, someone said to me "you look a bit thinner"? 

IMG_2826 (1).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

Any of you guys who live here, find yourself eating less because of the brutal heat? 

I have lost 3 pounds in the last month....even though yes, being in an air-conditioned home, you still have to go out and about. Just seems like my appetite is just not as strong right now. 

IMG_2826 (1).jpg

My weight has little to do with my day-to-day diet, all related to beer (i don't drink wine or stronger stuff). But apart from the beer calories there are unwise food choices while drinking beer - fish & chips and pies being the main ones but also nuts and cheese if drinking on the balcony at home).

If i cut out beer for 4 - 6 weeks my weight will go down. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

IMG_2826 (1).jpg

The heat hasn't affected my eating habits, it's my exercise routine that has been affected.

I've never cared for indoor exercising, so the brutal heat has really put a dent in my usual exercise routine of a daily bike ride or walkabout. I also haven't been on a hash run for about six weeks as I can't see myself enjoying running around jungle trail in the later afternoon heat of the day.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am sure knee pain or stiffness has been covered before, but i think no harm to raise again.

I have got as much improvement as i think i can by exercise, but still have stiffness after exercise in one of my knees. Quite bad stiffness the following day.

Anybody found tablets that work?

I see possible supplements are:

Glucosamine (tried this before but didn't notice much change.        Type II Collagen
Boswellia Serrata
MSM
Turmeric
Piperine

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

I am sure knee pain or stiffness has been covered before, but i think no harm to raise again.

I have got as much improvement as i think i can by exercise, but still have stiffness after exercise in one of my knees. Quite bad stiffness the following day.

Anybody found tablets that work?

I see possible supplements are:

Glucosamine (tried this before but didn't notice much change.        Type II Collagen
Boswellia Serrata
MSM
Turmeric
Piperine

pain cream.jpg

Just come back from the gym ... just had an induction as I move to a new circuit ... my eccentric weights are now 30% ( moved up from 20% ) more than the concentric movement.. the aim is to control both movements ... and eventually get to 50% difference 💪

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Zambo said:

My weight has little to do with my day-to-day diet, all related to beer (i don't drink wine or stronger stuff). But apart from the beer calories there are unwise food choices while drinking beer - fish & chips and pies being the main ones but also nuts and cheese if drinking on the balcony at home).

If i cut out beer for 4 - 6 weeks my weight will go down. 

Yep, beer is the killer for most all of us without question. Don't drink any alcohol as a general rule at home here. Not trying to get into your personal business but..do you have a regular exercise routine? You can drink beer..if you balance it out with cardio especially.....

21 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The heat hasn't affected my eating habits, it's my exercise routine that has been affected.

I've never cared for indoor exercising, so the brutal heat has really put a dent in my usual exercise routine of a daily bike ride or walkabout. I also haven't been on a hash run for about six weeks as I can't see myself enjoying running around jungle trail in the later afternoon heat of the day.

I am just the opposite, love indoor exercise, always have. Weight training is a must for me...sadly here, no outdoor jogging for me, even in the cool season, just too hard as far as the heat. I certainly miss the cushion foam track back in Calif at the local High School. Cardio too is a must for me.....

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_4145 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Yep, beer is the killer for most all of us without question. Don't drink any alcohol as a general rule at home here. Not trying to get into your personal business but..do you have a regular exercise routine? You can drink beer..if you balance it out with cardio especially.....

I am just the opposite, love indoor exercise, always have. Weight training is a must for me...sadly here, no outdoor jogging for me, even in the cool season, just too hard as far as the heat. I certainly miss the cushion foam track back in Calif at the local High School. Cardio too is a must for me.....

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_4145 (1).jpg

I have a beer cut off valve. After about 4 of them I don't want anymore.

The calories are burned off the next day with my bike ride and lifts in the gym (4 or 5 times a week). 

Occassionally take a 5 day break.

All seems to keep me in reasonable balance, and enables me to enjoy some brews. Getting super loaded is rare. But, every now and then a little extra is managable. Like today.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I am at the gym 3 times a week for an hour, not so easy to check but i expect for weight control that has minimal effect, more for mobility and  keeping muscles in tone. For cardio i do 2km runs 4 times a week (some on a treadmill) so thats about 4 x 130 = 520 calories.

Thats it for regular exercise, so the greater amount of calories burnt will be walking to work and back and general living and breathing.

Looks like beer control will have to be kept in place, but nothing better than a couple of ice cold draft san miguel for stress relief when needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

I am at the gym 3 times a week for an hour, not so easy to check but i expect for weight control that has minimal effect, more for mobility and  keeping muscles in tone. For cardio i do 2km runs 4 times a week (some on a treadmill) so thats about 4 x 130 = 520 calories.

Thats it for regular exercise, so the greater amount of calories burnt will be walking to work and back and general living and breathing.

Looks like beer control will have to be kept in place, but nothing better than a couple of ice cold draft san miguel for stress relief when needed.

One year I cut down beer intake. I'd guesstimate about 8 beers/week reduction = roughly 150 x 8 = 1,200 calories.

Watched my carbs and worked out regulary. Lost 40 pounds in 1 year. I have pretty much kept it off ever since.

Not ever gonna quit beer completely. Life is meant to be enjoyed.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Glasseye said:

One year I cut down beer intake. I'd guesstimate about 8 beers/week reduction = roughly 150 x 8 = 1,200 calories.

Watched my carbs and worked out regulary. Lost 40 pounds in 1 year. I have pretty much kept it off ever since.

Yes agreed with that including the carbs. I'm in the process of losing 5kg so not too challenging. Then try to stabilise.

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Many times people have said to me "If you stopped going to the pub you wouldn't have to go to the gym".

My reply is always "That's two of the things that I enjoy most you want me to stop,no effing way".

• Thumbs Up 6