What did you learn today?

fygjam

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2023 at 2:12 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep, same as the products and food places that make a thing out of "No MSG" .. In Europe it is hidden behind an E number (eg Marmite - E621 )

EDIT - Another common item is Knorr cubes ...Although I think they actually call it MSG..

EDIT 2! - As usual I'm talking bollocks as of course they are not one and the same thing ..
Stanford Uni..
"The reality is, MSG and umami give us the same taste experience. While MSG has a negative connotation and umami has a largely positive one, they actually use the same molecule—an amino acid called glutamate—to activate our taste receptors."

There's a hoodie for Uncle Derek

MSG Black Hoodie

https://unclerogermerch.com/products/msg-black-hoodie

Make Shit Good

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

We used to drink that for a spell in college. Nasty stuff.

"Nasty stuff", i beg to differ, i love the stuff and have done for over 50 years...

But, as with our taste in women, we all like different, and that's a great thing........

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SteveBC said:

"Nasty stuff", i beg to differ, i love the stuff and have done for over 50 years...

But, as with our taste in women, we all like different, and that's a great thing........

Love a good rum, not sure what state I would be in after a litre these days.

I know the next morning wouldn't be trendy for sure!

19 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I'd be on the floor mate.

We used to drink that for a spell in college. Nasty stuff.

Yeah, I had the odd fight with the Captain myself while I was serving my drinking apprenticeship as a teen; nowadays I drink mostly spiced rum and only in moderation, although I have gotten carried away with Sangsom now and then while in Pattaya...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Yeah, I had the odd fight with the Captain myself while I was serving my drinking apprenticeship as a teen; nowadays I drink mostly spiced rum and only in moderation, although I have gotten carried away with Sangsom now and then while in Pattaya...

Me too, as a rum drinker, I found a litre of Samsung very cheap and quite qoffable. Always had a bottle in my room for a night cap.

I had to stop doing it as that bottle started to dissappear far to quickly. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Thai word ควาย and danish word kvaj are pronounsed almost identical and have almost same meanings.

ควาย - water buffalo and idiot

kvaj - cattle (dialect archaic) and idiot.

A few years ago i drove to Bangkok with my wife, for reasons i can't remember now my wife ended up parking at the mall. When we came back to the pick-up there was a note on the windscreen, it took me a while to persuade her to read it out. "You park like a buffalo". I do remind her of the amusing incident once in a while.

• Great Info 1
  • Haha 5

Keep your emergency numbers updated people!!

Last night I was woken up at 3am because my daughter was worried about me. She phoned my mate because that was the only number that she had. He used to live directly opposite me but moved 5km away several months ago (but he still drove over to check on me!)

This morning I gave her my next door neighbour's phone numbers .......!!

I know it wasn't important last night but it COULD have been !!!

• Like 1
  • Great Info 3

52 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Keep your emergency numbers updated people!!

Last night I was woken up at 3am because my daughter was worried about me. She phoned my mate because that was the only number that she had. He used to live directly opposite me but moved 5km away several months ago (but he still drove over to check on me!)

This morning I gave her my next door neighbour's phone numbers .......!!

I know it wasn't important last night but it COULD have been !!!

Very good info. Something I have to remind myself to do, which is something I tend to neglect.

Also, phone settings. Can be a real pain in the ass, but has to be done. I am getting better at it but can be a real challange at times with all of the fcuking updates, etc. Sometimes I just want to chuck the phone a crawl under a Dog damn rock. Fucking tech world = depression IMO.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

The stupid thing is that I have kept everything uptodate on my wall for  health insurance/hospital/funeral  details ... but I totally forgot to update phone numbers for my daughter to call...!!!

Same thing with my sister who is getting "up there" in age.

A couple years ago she did the wise thing and set up everything with wills, etc. Spendt quite a bit of coin doing it. 

But then she doesn't update me with contact numbers I could possibly get a call from. Usually if I don't recognize a number I won't answer. Half the time my voice mail is screwed up so I might not even get a message.

If I have the key phone numbers in my contacts then I will recognize the caller. Without that all of the prep for emergencies and timely health related matters gets thrown out of the window.

I have a dual sim phone which creates additional setting challenges (dropped signals, etc.).

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard of this technique before. Useful knowledge to have as I had a couple of occasions where I was walking my dogs and another dog came at them and attacked. My adrenaline fueled response on those occassions was to reach in and pin the attacking dog to the ground by the neck. Much safer using this technique which is equivalent to a sleeper hold using the collar or a leash wrapped around the neck.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Trip said:

That reminds me of an old story you hear early in your USAF tours. Goes something like, USAF was putting together a training program for technicians on how to test the windscreens of C130s to guard against bird strikes. They needed to standardize it of course and pick something relatively widely available and not subject to save the world weirdos and SPCA types, so they chose a turkey, and specified average size birds, 15 lbs.

Everything went fine at first until one day there was a panicked emergency call from a test facility declaring that cockpit screens were being shattered by the test bird strikes.

The puzzled wonks at USAF didn't know what to do at first, so they asked the subject test facility to describe the steps they took because no one at HQ could re-produce the shattered screens being reported.

Nothing seemed wrong with the steps being taken and finally an exasperated HQ official asked the test facility to send a picture or 3 of their tests.

Once he got the picture, the problem was obvious so he responds to the test facility;

Step-1: Thaw turkey.

Every day is a school day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

I learned that a split second decision that I made (common sense prevailed) , could have cost me very dearly indeed had I decided the other option.

In summary:

My daughter was stranded about 60 miles away last night as she and her mates missed the last train home. She asked if I could drive and pick them up. I'd had three beers and was on my fourth when she called. Upon picking up the keys, I felt need to question myself and basically decided it was not worth the risk, even though I felt (or perceived I felt) ok.

I called her back, and told them to stay at the train station, meanwhile I called a local Taxi firm in Cambridge, explained the situation, gave my Card details and asked them to arrange a lift home, and charge me accordingly with an extra tenner for the driver.

It cost me £130, but here's where I get lucky. Just about 5 mins after the call, I took the dog out for his piss, just around the block. This is at about midnight, just as I turned the corner onto the main road, there was a Traffic Police BMW X5 waiting on a side street entrance, lights off but manned.

Had I been stupid and driven, I'd probably have got pulled over, and  I'd have very likely lost my licence for drink driving, which means no job, no transport and never getting insurance again for a decent car for a very long time. The consequences aren't worth thinking about, not to mention the people I'd have put at risk.

Wise move brother... absofcukingloutely !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

I learned not to order anything again from lazada without changing it to English first.

Thought I knew what I was doing but ordered the same item 3 times ,well glad it's wasn't expensive, and suppose I could always use the other 2 for my knees 555.

1000037855.jpg

I've done that a few times. The thing I have to watch for when ordering something that is sized to fit is if they're advertising Asian or big American sizes.

Wonder if the cold compress would work well as a colling neck wrap for your walks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I've done that a few times. The thing I have to watch for when ordering something that is sized to fit is if they're advertising Asian or big American sizes.

Wonder if the cold compress would work well as a colling neck wrap for your walks.

It looks as tho it coils round my ankle,so if the achilles tendinitis kicks off ,usually when lying down it does once a month,it'll be straight on from frozen to ease the discomfort, whether it works hmm but it'll make it numb.

• Like 1