What did you learn today?

fygjam

Learning that quite a few things are causing my bloody annoying nasal polyps which have pissed me off now for almost 4 months. Even ruining my sleep at the best of times. The steroid nasal sprays seem to help but need more than that to resolve my issues.

Alcohol is a total no no due to inflammation issues. Ever since about late 2019 I have been on daily aspirin and now the doctor tells me that a bad reaction to aspirin is one of the main reasons for the development of nasal polyps. May need surgery and just waiting for the call to ENT. 

I was really looking forward to a few beers over the Coronation weekend but, as of now, it is no alcohol for me, hope that changes soon.

• Sad 1

While watching the live commentary after the Coronation, some white guy stopped behind the reporter and unfurled a small flag for the camera, a cross of St. George but with a black head in each of the quadrants. Oh God, I thought, must be one of those damned slavery reparation nutjobs, making a childish point at the Coronation due to the much-discussed Royal involvement in the trade. I suppose the flag with the four black heads on it is their symbol now? I had a look at what it meant, and was surprised to learn this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Sardinia#:~:text=It%20is%20composed%20of%20the,Murcia%2C%20and%20the%20Balearic%20Islands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That I had managed to live until today without reading, using or understanding the word "hegemony."

The guy who wrote the spy/assassin  novel I am currently reading on my Kindle made me google it after the third time of use.

Not been missing a lot. 😄

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jambo said:

That I had managed to live until today without reading, using or understanding the word "hegemony."

The guy who wrote the spy/assassin  novel I am currently reading on my Kindle made me google it after the third time of use.

Not been missing a lot. 😄

That's the 31st of December isn't it?

Learned just how hard it is to recover from jet lag the older I get.

Just spent nine days back in the States and can't say I ever got in synch with the 12 hour time difference. Had plenty of sleep, but the body never fully adapted to the change in daylight hours.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

FWIW, the rule of thumb at least used to be 1 day per time zone.

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Learned just how hard it is to recover from jet lag the older I get.

Just spent nine days back in the States and can't say I ever got in synch with the 12 hour time difference. Had plenty of sleep, but the body never fully adapted to the change in daylight hours.

It's strange, I never seem to get jet lag when I arrive in Thailand traveling West to East. But always get in when I arrive back in UK  lasts up to week. Ihave often wondered why coming from East to West is worse. 

Someone told me once that the time of flights can make a difference with daylight etc, but never really understood it. 

0B0A8261-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Unusual for a duck, the Mandarin Duck nests in trees, often high above the water. The mother must coax her ducklings to jump from the nest and make their way to the water, at which point the father rejoins the family and helps to care for the babies.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

It's strange, I never seem to get jet lag when I arrive in Thailand traveling West to East... etc.

Maybe the adrelanine rush of getting there after all the waiting and anticipation?

You're what, 6 or 7 time zones from Thailand?  The US is 11-12 depending on the month.  Change 6 time zones and you're either an early riser or a night owl.  Change 12 time zones and you're a fookin' zombie!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

It's strange, I never seem to get jet lag when I arrive in Thailand traveling West to East. But always get in when I arrive back in UK  lasts up to week. Ihave often wondered why coming from East to West is worse. 

Someone told me once that the time of flights can make a difference with daylight etc, but never really understood it. 

I am the opposite, no probs going to the UK apart from falling asleep by 9 pm for a couple of weeks. Travelling to Thailand seems to take its toll more and more these days, no matter what time I arrive. Takes a good 4 or 5 days for me to adjust and recover.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I'm exactly the same. I do think it might be due to flight times. I fly overnight to get to Thailand, but during the day to get home.

43 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I'm exactly the same. I do think it might be due to flight times. I fly overnight to get to Thailand, but during the day to get home.

I think flight times make a massive difference, the 2130 ish flight out goes through your normal sleeping hours (I never sleep that well on the plane) and arrives 4pm ish in Bkk, by the time you get to Pattaya it's 6pm and I find after unpacking, shower etc I feel quite tired. Normally I will wander out for a few hours for a beer, then back early for a good nights sleep. 

I wake up in the morning and am pretty much into the new time zone straight away.

The afternoon flight home also works out pretty good for me too. I don't sleep on the plane, it lands 1930ish, by the time I get home I am shattered and it's bed time. After a good nights sleep I am back into the time Zone again.

When I fly to Canada, it is a day flight and I seem to adjust very quickly with the travel day just being much longer with them being 5 hours behind.

When I fly home it is a night flight but again I don't sleep, but arrive early morning here, I then have to try to keep awake all day which is impossible for me these days, or take the hit and go straight to bed for a few hours. It totally screws me over for several days until I can get back to my regular sleep pattern.

If there was a day flight back I think I would be fine.

Hopefully that makes some sense. LOL

• Like 2

Pretty sure I've only suffered from jet lag once and that was coming home .... not sure why I was affected on that occasion ..... First thing I normally do when I get on a plane , is to set my watch to the time at my destination and try and get into the sleep patterns ...  if not,  just keep on drinking 🍺🍺🍺 🙃

Edited by Stillearly

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

I think flight times make a massive difference, the 2130 ish flight out goes through your normal sleeping hours (I never sleep that well on the plane) and arrives 4pm ish in Bkk, by the time you get to Pattaya it's 6pm and I find after unpacking, shower etc I feel quite tired. Normally I will wander out for a few hours for a beer, then back early for a good nights sleep. 

I wake up in the morning and am pretty much into the new time zone straight away.

The afternoon flight home also works out pretty good for me too. I don't sleep on the plane, it lands 1930ish, by the time I get home I am shattered and it's bed time. After a good nights sleep I am back into the time Zone again.

When I fly to Canada, it is a day flight and I seem to adjust very quickly with the travel day just being much longer with them being 5 hours behind.

When I fly home it is a night flight but again I don't sleep, but arrive early morning here, I then have to try to keep awake all day which is impossible for me these days, or take the hit and go straight to bed for a few hours. It totally screws me over for several days until I can get back to my regular sleep pattern.

If there was a day flight back I think I would be fine.

Hopefully that makes some sense. LOL

I'm the exact same. 

Night flight going, in hotel in Bangkok by about 6pm, make sure and stay awake until about 10/11pm, sleep through, pretty much adjusted.

Morning flight back, home by about 9/10pm, bed by about 11pm, sleep through , pretty much adjusted.

Last year i had to do the Thai Air 12.30pm flight going, as it was the only one then going. Arrived early morning in Thailand, totally f***d me up, tried to stay awake, hadn't slept on the flight, started to feel physically sick about afternoon time, so slept for 3 hours. Definitely helped, but took me ages to get adjusted. Made a mental note to never, ever do the daytime flight, arrive early morning in Thailand again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

I'm the exact same. 

Night flight going, in hotel in Bangkok by about 6pm, make sure and stay awake until about 10/11pm, sleep through, pretty much adjusted.

Morning flight back, home by about 9/10pm, bed by about 11pm, sleep through , pretty much adjusted.

Last year i had to do the Thai Air 12.30pm flight going, as it was the only one then going. Arrived early morning in Thailand, totally f***d me up, tried to stay awake, hadn't slept on the flight, started to feel physically sick about afternoon time, so slept for 3 hours. Definitely helped, but took me ages to get adjusted. Made a mental note to never, ever do the daytime flight, arrive early morning in Thailand again. 

Yes, I arrive at 0535 in September so at some stage will need an afternoon nap before going out. probably screw up my clock.

15 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

FWIW, the rule of thumb at least used to be 1 day per time zone.

15 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

In years past it took me two days to adapt to US time. First day back it wasn't too bad, but the second day I was a zombie, but by the third day I was doing ok.

Besides being four years older since the last trip, this trip I spent a fair amount of time in a windowless room working on code during the day. In hindsight I think the reduced exposure to daylight really hindered me getting over the jet lag.

My head finally hit the pillow in my own bed at about 02:00 am this morning. Had a good five hours of sleep and am feeling pretty good now. That fits with studies that state traveling west reduces the effects of jet lag. YMMV as noted in Nightcrawler's post.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/jet-lag

Flying east or west makes a difference to jet lag

Your circadian rhythm (body clock) is less confused if you travel westward. This is because travelling west ‘prolongs’ the body clock’s experience of its normal day-night cycle (the normal tendency of the body clock in most of us is slightly longer than 24 hours). Travelling eastwards, however, runs in direct opposition to the body clock. If you suffer badly from jet lag, it may be worthwhile considering a westerly travel route if possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/jet-lag

Flying east or west makes a difference to jet lag

Your circadian rhythm (body clock) is less confused if you travel westward. This is because travelling west ‘prolongs’ the body clock’s experience of its normal day-night cycle (the normal tendency of the body clock in most of us is slightly longer than 24 hours). Travelling eastwards, however, runs in direct opposition to the body clock. If you suffer badly from jet lag, it may be worthwhile considering a westerly travel route if possible.

Going west from Heathrow to Soyouwannaboomboom is a hell of a journey...555

• Haha 1

There are 6,670,903,752,021,072,936,960 possible solvable Sudoku gridsthat yield a unique result (that's 6 sextillion, 670 quintillion, 903 quadrillion, 752 trillion, 21 billion, 72 million, 936 thousand, 960 in case you were wondering). That's way more than the number of stars in the universe.

14 minutes ago, forqalso said:

There are 6,670,903,752,021,072,936,960 possible solvable Sudoku gridsthat yield a unique result (that's 6 sextillion, 670 quintillion, 903 quadrillion, 752 trillion, 21 billion, 72 million, 936 thousand, 960 in case you were wondering). That's way more than the number of stars in the universe.

Then why can I solve Sudoku games at those odds but can't win the PowerBall at odds of 76,676,600:1. Probability stinks!

20 minutes ago, Zambo said:

"way more" isn't very scientific. Can you put a number to it?

For some counting is as simple as 1, 2, 3 and more than 3. Solves a lot (more than 3) of problems.