What did you learn today?

fygjam

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I suspect your high productivity is of great importance to keeping your job mate!

Yeah, a couple of the QC guys in Google and Apple were low on targets and the returns guy just thinks he’s better than he is.

IT guy was a surprise though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just learnt how to put my phone apps into folders , so instead of searching through six pages of apps , they are all on the front page ... was prompted by a barfine taking the piss out of me last week .. 555 

Wasn't there a BM on that other forum well known for taking the piss out of barfines?

22 hours ago, galenkia said:

Booted.

Seems to be they decided to sort out their staff after giving us 6 to 8 months to see if we’re suitable. Being a new site for the company it was a whole new hiring process.

Being a forklift driver I’m pretty valuable to them, plus my productivity is high.

Some companies will "strategize" when wanting to "downsize". Instead of just laying people off they develop paperwork in order to fire them for cause. Often when that is the case they do not have to pay unemployment.

It can also be a way for them  to get rid of dead weight who they don't want. 

In my early years I worked at a large medical center. Witnessed a bloodbath. It was really an eye opener.

I wasn't on the list, but I got a good taste of how they operated. Dog eat dog to the max.

So, not long following witnessing those escapades they decided to send me to a specialized, extensive training program. Following the training I was much more attractive to other employers. I took my time interviewing for a much better job. Then when I had the letter of hire in my hand I told the current employer to f**k off. 

I was glad I did, as roughly two years later they disbanded the entire department. 

That whole experience ingrained within me the thought process to always be looking ahead. Stay a step ahead, because you never know when something will jump out in front of you and take your legs out.

• Great Info 1

37 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Some companies will "strategize" when wanting to "downsize". Instead of just laying people off they develop paperwork in order to fire them for cause. Often when that is the case they do not have to pay unemployment.

It can also be a way for them  to get rid of dead weight who they don't want. 

In my early years I worked at a large medical center. Witnessed a bloodbath. It was really an eye opener.

I wasn't on the list, but I got a good taste of how they operated. Dog eat dog to the max.

So, not long following witnessing those escapades they decided to send me to a specialized, extensive training program. Following the training I was much more attractive to other employers. I took my time interviewing for a much better job. Then when I had the letter of hire in my hand I told the current employer to f**k off. 

I was glad I did, as roughly two years later they disbanded the entire department. 

That whole experience ingrained within me the thought process to always be looking ahead. Stay a step ahead, because you never know when something will jump out in front of you and take your legs out.

One of the managers spoke to us today regarding why the people were fired. Turns out it was because they had been warned before about issues and had failed to deal with them and improve their attitude and performance.

As we were a new facility opened last year, nearly everyone started at the same time, so everyone was on the same time frame regarding disciplinary action.

Was just a coincidence that the head of worldwide operations was in our site from the Dominican Republic, so everyone assumed staff cutbacks as this is a quiet time of year for the company.

But we have all been reassured no job cuts are happening, just losing the under performing staff.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just leant that Nicola Sturgeon's husband has been arrested over SNP finances .... 😮

Sunday's headlines in the gutter press anticipated to be

"SNP misappropriated donations used to fund lesbian bolt hole in the Maldives."

You read it here first. 🤣

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Jambo said:

I learned today that for the third month in a row my premium bonds came up again. 🙂

That caused me to check ours,my mum won as did my missus but alas I got sweet FA.

Can't complain as the last two months my winnings have been in three figures.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

That caused me to check ours,my mum won as did my missus but alas I got sweet FA.

Can't complain as the last two months my winnings have been in three figures.

Had £10 of bonds since 1971, never won a bloody penny.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Had £10 of bonds since 1971, never won a bloody penny.

My grandmother bought me one in the late 50's which I guess I've still got.

When interest rates nosedived I put a bit in them for myself,my missus & my mum.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, galenkia said:

One of the managers spoke to us today regarding why the people were fired. Turns out it was because they had been warned before about issues and had failed to deal with them and improve their attitude and performance.

As we were a new facility opened last year, nearly everyone started at the same time, so everyone was on the same time frame regarding disciplinary action.

Was just a coincidence that the head of worldwide operations was in our site from the Dominican Republic, so everyone assumed staff cutbacks as this is a quiet time of year for the company.

But we have all been reassured no job cuts are happening, just losing the under performing staff.

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

I've got a few of these too, that my English mother bought for us all back in the '60s - found them in her house after she passed away. 

You should check if they have won anything, lost bonds not claimed are still listed I believe.

You could be a millionaire Rodney!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, boydeste said:

You should check if they have won anything, lost bonds not claimed are still listed I believe.

You could be a millionaire Rodney!

I contacted NS&I way back in 2006 after I found these bonds and they replied with a very nice letter telling me that the bonds were correctly registered and that I would be contacted at my recorded address if I won anything - however I have changed my address since then and when I went to log in to their website tonight, I get the now almost universal hooha about sending me an OTP to verify my identity - but the number I have for this is my landline which won't take texts and to register my cell number I have to actually phone them in England - so you're right, maybe I am a winner and don't know it, lol - I'll try tomorrow to see what kind of performance it is contacting them by phone and correcting things. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

One of my deliveries has arrived. The one with Aussie bone in lamb short loin...... and I have just learnt to my delight that it is the cut for Barnsley Chops !!

Can't wait for them to defrost enough for me to attack them with a knife !!

Gunna need more than a knife to get through the bone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Gunna need more than a knife to get through the bone.

Yeh.

Before I ordered them I checked out YT and it seemed easy enough to cut through the meat and Cartlidge before bashing it through the natural join in the bone, much the same as ribs.  "Bone in" was 450 baht/kg but individually they were 499/kg..

f**k it... I may just cook each one as a joint or try to debone them..... or maybe I will soon be posting a picture of my hand like @tko ..if I had a camera that is ...

• Haha 3

Just now, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yeh.

Before I ordered them I checked out YT and it seemed easy enough to cut through the meat and Cartlidge before bashing it through the natural join in the bone, much the same as ribs.  "Bone in" was 450 baht/kg but individually they were 499/kg..

f**k it... I may just cook each one as a joint or try to debone them..... or maybe I will soon be posting a picture of my hand like @tko ..if I had a camera that is ...

I learned that us Aussies are being ripped off on lamb prices so expats in Thailand can enjoy a nice feed of chops.

DD paid about $AU20/kg for his lump of loin. Here loin chops are currently $AU30/kg.

Bastards.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I learned that us Aussies are being ripped off on lamb prices so expats in Thailand can enjoy a nice feed of chops.

DD paid about $AU20/kg for his lump of loin. Here loin chops are currently $AU30/kg.

Bastards.

Ah yeh... But I will pay more for my Aussie Red to drink with the lamb than you ...!!

7 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Game changer ...

My wife used to work in a hotel and made many beds, her way of changing the duvet covet takes about 30 seconds. Haven't got a video of her doing it but the video attached appears similar although the girl in the video is annoying.

• Like 1