What did you learn today?

fygjam

4 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Heard on a TV news report last night: there are an estimated 340,000 fatalities due to motorcycle accidents worldwide every year, which is roughly 26% of the 1.3 million traffic-accident fatalities across the globe.  In the U.S., about 14% of all vehicular deaths are attributed to motorbike accidents.  In Thailand, 74% of all vehicular fatalities, or three out of four, are the result of motorcycle accidents.  That's the highest percentage of vehicular deaths due to motorcycles in the world.

Evil

Rarely does a day go by that we don't read in the local news here of another motorcycle death. If the authorities wanted to get serious about reducing the number of accidents and deaths, all it would take is more enforcement of drink driving, speed, helmet and license laws, in that order.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Unfortunately the folks who pass the laws have little say in their enforcement. As long as the long established 'culture' in the police force prevails, nothing will change. It's not that various Govts don't care, they just have no power, which leads to ignoring so many rules 

• Thumbs Up 3

41 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Today I learnt that the Klingon word for auxiliary backup is "chach" ...

I worked in IT long enough to recognise one of these.

220px-DysanRemovableDiskPack.agr.jpg

They were prone to the occasional head crash. Usually the head on one platter would touch the surface of the platter dislodging a bit of rust which would then migrate through the rest of the platters crashing the heads as it went.

The operator would then swap disk packs and the damaged heads would then destroy that pack as well.

A contractor was telling me about another site where they had had a head crash and of course no backup, auxiliary or otherwise. When the IT manager asked if there was anyway they could get the data back he, the contractor, gave him the filters out of the disk drive saying "that brown stuff, that's your data".

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

I worked in IT long enough to recognise one of these.

For my first 10 years in the Army we used the Larkspur range of radios .. Valve driven from WW1 and WW2 ..

Quite fucking shocking really that I was on the first Clansman course (CMN 001) the first equipment range that included transistors ......  in 1979....!!!

• Surprised 1

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Today I learnt that the Klingon word for auxiliary backup is "chach" ...

Your comment reminded me of my visit to the Star Trek attraction in Las Vegas. It was part museum ending with a very clever mock up of Enterprise's Bridge(?) whilst under a Klingon attack.

What absolutely amazed me was the fact that so many of the visitors took it all so seriously. Not only did a good number of the adults dress up but I overhead conversations where adults were explaining to their kids that the mannequin they were looking at came from Planet "Zod" or wherever. There would invariably then be an explanation of the plot line in which that particular character featured.

I could understand the kids all lapping it up but the adults all seemed to be so serious as though it was all real It was really so bizarre.

ps

British Airways had a Captain Kirk on their Heathrow/Edinburgh shuttle. The first time he introduced himself on the flight I was on every passenger in the cabin started singing "There's Klingons on the starboard side etc etc"

• Haha 1

What did I learn today?

My cunning password to allow me access to HMGov.com's Gateway to check whether my tax calculation  for 2022/23 had been finalized  included a letter in lower case and not upper case as I expected.

It took me half an hour to find where I had hidden my note book of important information.

Fancy starting "dANNY'SPASSWORD" With a small "D."

Needless to say, not finalized yet and they owe me a refund!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

A group of lizards is called a lounge. Had to look that up for my post in the Big Snakes topic.

Where does flange of baboons come from?

The term "flange" for baboons originally came from a sketch on the British TV series "Not The Nine O'Clock News" and escaped into the common vernacular (at least in England) and has been further propagated on the internet. Whether or not it is used by academia is another matter altogether.
Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I just learnt two new things reading the forum. One, there's a market for EMF protection clothing. The other is we have a fifth taste called umami. Every day is a school day.

Bugger. I was going to make some crispy pork belly with sticky rice and a sweet, sour, spicy and salty dipping sauce for a gathering tomorrow.

Now what do I do? Once seen it can't be unseen.

Edited by fygjam

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Bugger. I was going to make some crispy pork belly with sticky rice and a sweet, sour, spicy and salty dipping sauce for a gathering tomorrow.

Now what do I do? Once seen it can't be unseen.

It is nowt but MSG mate .. or Big C has small bottles of "Umami" .. look near the shelves with soy sauces or Teriyaki sauce ..

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It is nowt but MSG mate .. or Big C has small bottles of "Umami" .. look near the shelves with soy sauces or Teriyaki sauce ..

If it's nowt but MSG then why do they have to hide the name?

Next they'll be calling the red wine "aged crimson grape juice with ethanol".

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, fygjam said:

If it's nowt but MSG then why do they have to hide the name?

Next they'll be calling the red wine "aged crimson grape juice with ethanol".

Yep, same as the products and food places that make a thing out of "No MSG" .. In Europe it is hidden behind an E number (eg Marmite - E621 )

EDIT - Another common item is Knorr cubes ...Although I think they actually call it MSG..

EDIT 2! - As usual I'm talking bollocks as of course they are not one and the same thing ..
Stanford Uni..
"The reality is, MSG and umami give us the same taste experience. While MSG has a negative connotation and umami has a largely positive one, they actually use the same molecule—an amino acid called glutamate—to activate our taste receptors."

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I learned a life saving procedure for choking dogs.

I'm scared to watch that. Does the procedure involve an incision deep into the dog's throat? 

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

I'm scared to watch that. Does the procedure involve an incision deep into the dog's throat? 

When I was 14 my best friends dog died choking on a saliva soaked sloppy tennis ball. He always used it for "fetch". One day because of the size of the ball and it's slippery condition the dog leaped up to get it and it got lodged. Died right there on the spot.

Devastated my friend. He was never the same after that.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Zambo said:

Not invasive technique at all. It's an external extraction technique. A simple massaging of the throat with thumbs on the sides of the neck to move the lodged object up and out.

Well worth the watch as the technique is easy to learn and could save yours or someone else's pet in the future. Plus seeing the dog get up immediately after the object is removed is heartwarming.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, biggles said:

Unfortunately the folks who pass the laws have little say in their enforcement. As long as the long established 'culture' in the police force prevails, nothing will change. It's not that various Govts don't care, they just have no power, which leads to ignoring so many rules 

I was in the L.E. field for 30 years. Thankfully, long retired.

I came upon the sad realization about 10 years ago that nothing will really change. I don't care what reforms they try to institute, the culture is too ingrained.