What did you learn today?

fygjam

51 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

My wife used to work in a hotel and made many beds, her way of changing the duvet covet takes about 30 seconds. Haven't got a video of her doing it but the video attached appears similar although the girl in the video is annoying.

Her bottom sheet is a mess!! She'd never pass one of my room inspections that's for sure..!!

Any suggestions as to how I would punish her ???

• Haha 1

Today I have now learnt how to "butcher" 3.4 kg of lamb short loin using blunt knives, a blunt cleaver and a wooden pestle to bash them through the bone ..

Things turned out quite well though. I have a several perfect thick barnsley chops, a couple of perfect thinner ones, two half racks of meaty bones for the slow cooker and some fine looking filleted lamb meat..

Perfick!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Today I have now learnt how to "butcher" 3.4 kg of lamb short loin using blunt knives, a blunt cleaver and a wooden pestle to bash them through the bone ..

Things turned out quite well though. I have a several perfect thick barnsley chops, a couple of perfect thinner ones, two half racks of meaty bones for the slow cooker and some fine looking filleted lamb meat..

Perfick!

Sounds like you'll be quite at home.

Years ago my cousin got a job in the UK and I went to stay (freeload) for a bit.

She said "you'll love English chops that have been cut with the back of an axe and have bone chips shattered throughout."

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Ah yeh... But I will pay more for my Aussie Red to drink with the lamb than you ...!!

I bought 6 bottles of this the other day,usually £12,got them for £7.50....bloody great with red meat....or even without red meat😃.

W7-H2kDMTiWswF_U0YZXsQ_pb_x960.png

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

12 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I bought 6 bottles of this the other day,usually £12,got them for £7.50....bloody great with red meat....or even without red meat😃.

W7-H2kDMTiWswF_U0YZXsQ_pb_x960.png

Christ, you pinch our lamb, now you pinch our grog. £9.70 to £13.40 in Oz.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Her bottom sheet is a mess!! She'd never pass one of my room inspections that's for sure..!!

Any suggestions as to how I would punish her ???

30 seconds to put the duvet in the duvet cover, 5 minutes to make it look fit for a hotel. I am happy with the 30 seconds, similar time to my 'other' efforts in the bed.

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Hahaha!

Now that I know what I ordered, I checked out YT again ... and some use a fucking hacksaw !!

Next time I'll just get a new blade for mine !!!

Before lamb was genetically engineered to come in styrene foam trays covered in cling film, a trip to the butchers for chops involved running the loin through the band saw.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Hahaha!

Now that I know what I ordered, I checked out YT again ... and some use a fucking hacksaw !!

As a matter of interest I looked up "made for purpose" saws for hand butchering. The first thing that struck me was the price, you'd think they were gold plated. After I recovered, other tips were you need a fairly coarse saw, 10TPI or less. Anything finer just keeps clogging up. A 1" wide blade is better than the 1/2" typical hacksaw blade which keeps wanting to roll over.

On the other hand, the made for purpose saws are designed for bone/frozen stuff so no need to thaw out the whole loin, just lop off a couple of Barnsleys whenever required.

Edited by fygjam
  • Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Hahaha!

No need for a bandsaw or hacksaw, use an angle grinder with a cutting blade. I have one you can use. Just remember to wipe it clean of the metal shavings before use. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

What are the 7 different generations?

Generation Names
  • The Greatest Generation – born 1901-1924. ...
  • The Silent Generation – born 1925-1945. ...
  • The Baby Boomer Generation – born 1946-1964. ...
  • Generation X – born 1965-1979. ...
  • Millennials – born 1980-1994. ...
  • Generation Z – born 1995-2012. ...
  • Gen Alpha – born 2013 – 2025.

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

Generation Names

How are the Generation Names Created?

In 1945 following World War II, economists, businesses, and policy makers began labeling generations as a new way to measure and study demographics. The Baby Boomers—those born between 1946-1964—were the first generation to adopt a widely accepted label.

The generations before the Baby Boomers were named retroactively. Baby Boomers achieved their generational label due to the spike in birth rates following the war and a clear end date with the introduction of birth control.

The Census Bureau first referred to the years between 1946 and 1964 as the “Post War Baby Boom.” As the people born in this boom started to age, ad agencies began using the term “Baby Boomers” to help them target the demographic. This was the first and last time a generation’s “official” name had it’s origin in a government agency.

For Generation X, Douglas Coupland wrote a book in 1991 titled, Generation X: Talents for an Accelerated Culture, that was about the anonymity he and his contemporaries felt growing up in the shadow of Baby Boomers. The letter “X” was meant to signify this generation’s desire not to be defined.

Millennials simply refers to the generation who came of age during the 2000 millennium. In 1993, Advertising Age was credited with creating the term "Generation Y." Strauss and Howe used the term “Millennials" because the members of the generation did not want to be associated with their predecessors, Generation X. Soon after, Advertising Age conceded that Millennials was a better name and insisted that "Generation Y” was only a placeholder until more was discovered about them.

Similarly, the name of the post-Millennial generation, Generation Z, will likely change as more is discovered about the youngest generation.

Government, the advertising industry, and individuals have all had a hand in naming the generations. The naming of generations is arbitrary and typically takes time to evolve before becoming “official."

Who Sets the Dates of Generations?

There are no “official” start and end dates for the generations, except for the Baby Boomer generation. The Census Bureau claims to only define the Baby Boomer generation (1946-1964) as they were first to draw attention to the birthrates that increased from around three million a year to over four million a year following World War II.

Because there is only a general consensus on when the various generations begin and end, the date ranges differ depending on the group or study. Some define the date range of generations by where there is a shift in the social mood of an age cohort. Historians will define the date range of generations based on historical events. Demographers will define the date range of generations based on the shifts in birth rates. Others believe that to some extent the media shapes the boundaries of generations.

Defining the date ranges of generations is not an exact science, nor should it be. The dates that define the generations are useful tools for analysis, but they should be thought of as guidelines, rather than official distinctions.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

I have just learnt that my favourite beer, Leffe Brun, is owned by InBev Belgium which is the European operating arm of Anheuser-Busch, the company that brews Budweiser Light... which is going through a boycott due to recent advertising with a bloke in a skirt on the can.

Will I join the boycott next time in PBG? Will I f**k!

Other beers that I might have flipped to are Stella and Hoegaarden ... but they are also A-B brews......

• Great Info 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Today I learned that the jack I thought was in the car is missing.

Yes I am angry but at least the discovery was made at home and not at the side of the road.

Decades ago when I lived in Isaan the rule was to carry 2 warning triangles in the car. It was pure coincidence that whenever there was a police stop there was also a street vendor nearby selling them!!

If you want to know where your jack is look for a lopsided thai style house ... it'll be used to straighten in whilst they fill the hole.....

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Decades ago when I lived in Isaan the rule was to carry 2 warning triangles in the car. It was pure coincidence that whenever there was a police stop there was also a street vendor nearby selling them!!

If you want to know where your jack is look for a lopsided thai style house ... it'll be used to straighten in whilst they fill the hole.....

LOL !

On 4/12/2023 at 10:22 PM, fygjam said:

Generation Names

‘Entitled’ Gen Z is the most difficult generation in the workplace: poll

https://nypost.com/2023/04/21/gen-z-is-the-most-difficult-generation-in-the-workplace-poll/

Heard on a TV news report last night: there are an estimated 340,000 fatalities due to motorcycle accidents worldwide every year, which is roughly 26% of the 1.3 million traffic-accident fatalities across the globe.  In the U.S., about 14% of all vehicular deaths are attributed to motorbike accidents.  In Thailand, 74% of all vehicular fatalities, or three out of four, are the result of motorcycle accidents.  That's the highest percentage of vehicular deaths due to motorcycles in the world.

Evil

• Sad 2