London - brekkie

AJSP

14 minutes ago, AJSP said:

This guy hunts out done great offerings - I’m a fan of bubble n squeak!

Being a bit of an old Cockney winkle myself,I was in the Beffnal Green area just a few days ago, but didn't get time to nosh on a proper fry up. 

I too am a fan of bubble and squeak which is also rhyming slang for "Greek"

That video had made me Hank Marvin now, but I only have eggs and bread in the house this morning. 

Tempted to see if my local greasy spoon is open  today   its a Bank Holiday. 

12 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Being a bit of an old Cockney winkle myself,I was in the Beffnal Green area just a few days ago, but didn't get time to nosh on a proper fry up. 

I too am a fan of bubble and squeak which is also rhyming slang for "Greek"

That video had made me Hank Marvin now, but I only have eggs and bread in the house this morning. 

Tempted to see if my local greasy spoon is open  today   its a Bank Holiday. 

Hehe 

try Mile End road for a good nosh 😎

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nadia said:

the best brekie is the regency cafe pimlico cheap and good quality. closely followed  e pellicci in bethnal green only a small place but very nice

Does brekkie come served with an extra LARGE cup of tea by any chance? LOL

YTH1sPGRl85OkYa59zDrJSkQNvz1c7sCxu0loCK_hKY.jpg.webp

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Can you still get Pie, mash & eel liquor? 😄

I think there are only 2 Pie & Mash restaurants left, but not checked since Covid.  

Revolting stuff. No need to eat that shite in today's world, even out of nostalgia. The pies used to have lumps of gristle in them, made from the cheapest cuts of meat. These days, you would only feed them to a dog 😁😁

I was occasionally forced to eat it as a kid. The green  liquor was not made of eels but a type of parsley sauce., but jellied eels used to be an East End  favourite for the working classes. . Again Revolting to my palate, anyway. Can't imagine taking a bird out for dinner to a pie and mash these days😁

There used to be a place in Kingsland High Rd in Hackney that had live eels in a tub outside. Long since closed and replaced by a Chinese restaurant. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Revolting stuff. No need to eat that shite in today's world, even out of nostalgia. The pies used to have lumps of gristle in them, made from the cheapest cuts of meat. These days, you would only feed them to a dog 😁😁

I worked with a guy when I was based in Birmingham who fed his German Shepherd on pie and chips he used to buy on his way home from a local chippy.

He tried other food but the dog just loved chippy steak pie and chips.

• Surprised 1

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

I worked with a guy when I was based in Birmingham who fed his German Shepherd on pie and chips he used to buy on his way home from a local chippy.

He tried other food but the dog just loved chippy steak pie and chips.

Reminds me of a chippy story from where I grew up. The local 25st barber used to allegedly have 15 pints 🍻 of beer on a Saturday then get to the chippy for 10pm, order two portions of fish n chips, one for the journey in the taxi back to his house and the second one to eat at home whilst watching match of the day !

some man that 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, AJSP said:

Reminds me of a chippy story from where I grew up. The local 25st barber used to allegedly have 15 pints 🍻 of beer on a Saturday then get to the chippy for 10pm, order two portions of fish n chips, one for the journey in the taxi back to his house and the second one to eat at home whilst watching match of the day !

some man that 

Crazy, I normally order a kids fish and chips as I cant eat a normal portion. Whilst it’s our National dish I reckon probably ~75% of them are shit. It’s the chips that are mostly shit, with soggy under cooked/browned chips.