Good bye EVA

Siam Addict

I have always flown EVA Air, first using enhanced economy and for years it cost around £1,000 return, then as my knees deteriorated I started using Business class and for 5-6 years the tickets cost about £2,000 return.

Last year business class jumped to £4,000 return but first trip in a three years so I finally paid thinking this is a one off and prices will drop. But no! Priced flights this December and Eva return is between £4,000 and £4,400. Things are now basically back to normal but prices have remained high, double what they were 3 years ago how can EVA justify this?

I am now looking at other flights Thai are no better and I prefer the direct flights but I am now looking at a one stop possibly Etihad with a three hour stopover, tickets are about £2,000 so half price.

Has anyone flown with Etihad?

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 3

Yes Etihad , Emirates and Qatar are all great 

like you I prefer non stop flights , but would definitely go via the ME if I found Business seats for £2k ....

what time of year are you looking at ?

When I was looking they were all similar prices for Business at £4K 

edit just saw you are looking at December, that's a brilliant price for anytime of the year , but for Dec amazing ... 👍

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Same with me. Was not impressed with EVA or Thai. My next flight will be with Emirates via Dubai,  although nothing wrong with Etihad although I have not used them for several years  Quatar are doing some good deals but no idea what the service is like  

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

I'm still looking at the diffent airlines and so far Etihad are the cheapest, don't know if there is a reason for this? I have not seen any bad reviews.

Looks like a sale on ... also says last call , so maybe finishing soon ..

IMG_5914.jpeg

I would just book it 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

I'm still looking at the diffent airlines and so far Etihad are the cheapest, don't know if there is a reason for this? I have not seen any bad reviews.

Haven't heard anything against Etihad, would personally prefer Emirates because of the A380, best plane ever as far as I am concerned as a passenger.

18 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Same with me. Was not impressed with EVA or Thai. My next flight will be with Emirates via Dubai,  although nothing wrong with Etihad although I have not used them for several years  Quatar are doing some good deals but no idea what the service is like  

Same here, I'd heard how great EVA were and although I'm not a fan of direct flights I decided to book with them for my last trip.

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Check in at Heathrow was a long winded pain, I got shouted at by one of their reps at the gate for not having a face mask FFS ( no one else has either luv so what's the issue ? ), the food was below average, the entertainment was nothing to write home about and the seat was uncomfortable after 6-7 hours. Would I use them again ? Only if the price was dirt cheap and it definitely hasn't been any time I've looked.

In the last 2 years I've used Singapore, Qatar, Eva and Saudia and the cheapest and by far the best was Saudia by a country mile.

Like you though I'm paying extra next time and using Emirates again as for me they have always been better than the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've flown EVA for 20 years and was completely happy with EVA price and experience wise. Since Covid have been flying Biz with whomever has the best price and route, will do so until EVA returns to their pre-covid business model. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

For me i don't give a f**k about the food, entertainment etc. It's basically just a way of getting from A to B. I mostly always just read a book anyway.

I want it over as fast as possible, so to that end i never book anyone else than EVA or Thai. 

I prefer EVA out of the 2 of them, but not much in it. Just a bit more professional, and you can actually get to speak to someone in London if you need to call them.

This time next week we'll be waiting to board EVA, and already booked Thai for Easter next year. 

f**k doing stopovers, non stop for me is the priority, but that's just me, to each their own ...

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Looks like a sale on ... also says last call , so maybe finishing soon ..

IMG_5914.jpeg

I would just book it 

According to Etihads website sale ends 18th of July, so I will book in the next couple of days!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Haven't heard anything against Etihad, would personally prefer Emirates because of the A380, best plane ever as far as I am concerned as a passenger.

Flight from London to Abu Dhabi and the return leg is on a A380 to and from Bangkok is on a Boeing 777

Never flew on a A380 but always wanted to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a brief look at prices last week. I found an EVA flight on the Austrian Airways site for "back to normal" business prices, but obviously LHR to Vienna to BKK. 15/16 hours each way. Just had another look and can't find it!

Wish I'd booked it then, but I need another months recovery before I can commit...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Krapow said:

For me i don't give a f**k about the food, entertainment etc. It's basically just a way of getting from A to B. I mostly always just read a book anyway.

I want it over as fast as possible, so to that end i never book anyone else than EVA or Thai. 

I prefer EVA out of the 2 of them, but not much in it. Just a bit more professional, and you can actually get to speak to someone in London if you need to call them.

This time next week we'll be waiting to board EVA, and already booked Thai for Easter next year. 

f**k doing stopovers, non stop for me is the priority, but that's just me, to each their own ...

But what do you really think?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

the food was below average, the entertainment was nothing to write home about and the seat was uncomfortable after 6-7 hours.

On my trip last month:-

- The food was perfect every meal. but I had pre-ordered seafood meals. Perhaps extra care was taken.(?). Wine and gin were shite, luckily I had a skinfull in the departure lounges.

-  Despite the cabin looking newly refurbished it was uncomfortable due to the width of the seat at the shoulders. Luckily I pre-booked aisle and nobody was seated next to me. The only good thing was that the head support pissflaps were new and stiff so kept their shape for the whole flight.

- The entertainment was total crap. Didn't watch a thing except where I was on the map. This was as expected so I read Crouchies latest book..perfect for flying!

As an aside, on the return leg one of the trolley dollies had had the "eye rounding operation" and looked in a permanent state of surprise!! I'm damned sure she didn't blink all flight !!! FAF !

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

If anybody needs yet another reason not to fly EVA, I have just received an email from Heathrow to say that from next month LHR will be inside the ULEZ so it'll be even more expensive if my sons want to drop me off there ...LGW here I come !!!

I might even consider Bristol .. Has anybody tried it to Thailand ???

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

If anybody needs yet another reason not to fly EVA, I have just received an email from Heathrow to say that from next month LHR will be inside the ULEZ so it'll be even more expensive if my sons want to drop me off there ...LGW here I come !!!

Yes it is 29 August, but you need to confirm that your car is liable for payment, as most cars are exempt. I have a 2008 Astra which is exempt and I will be parking my car for 10 days in Hounslow, Greater London in September.

Maybe you have already checked your car liability, but for info the link will allow anybody to check if they are liable to pay the ULEZ charge.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

Heathrow inside ULEZ is the biggest joke of the century....as if a few cars are going to make any difference to huge gas turbines burning thousands of gallons of Jet A-1....which is diesel oil without the lubricant....I used to run my van on it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Yes it is 29 August, but you need to confirm that your car is liable for payment, as most cars are exempt. I have a 2008 Astra which is exempt and I will be parking my car for 10 days in Hounslow, Greater London in September.

Maybe you have already checked your car liability, but for info the link will allow anybody to check if they are liable to pay the ULEZ charge.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Thanks for the link Dave.

I just checked my motors and they are both exempt.

The van being new I thought would be OK, but I too have an older Astra and that is also OK, I guess because it is too old to count.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Never tried Bristol Derek but you aroused my interest. As I knew to be the case there is nothing direct and KLM are your only one stop option.

https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/flights/results/?_sid_=R-5cgya0C6Laxu7KrlBfMfE-TMbLcuxz7no_aSTO3d5VAjZskq5Qt7wDVEdDadc1z#/flights/BRS-BKK/2024-03-05/2024-03-26/1adults

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Don't forget there is a £5 fee to just drop off at both Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
That is why I now take the bus to and from the airport.

• Thumbs Up 2