How far ahead do you book your flights?

Bazle

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I flew back to UK in June with EVA and nicked 2 of the back support cushions to use on the coach and in my sons' cars because of my bad back.

Bloody useful they were too !!!

Ahh mate, it felt like I had been in "the position" for 4 hours. The only thing missing was a sadistic Provost in the Cabin Crew, but true to form the food was also shit , so I felt at home.

I've found the perfect solution though, when flying econ I now drop 5mg of valium, as it is a muscle relaxant and also helps me sleep. When I arrive, I'll drop 2.5mg for the first night (as long as I've not had too much booze as it is a bad combo apparently) and I'm then sorted.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I prebooked  "special" seafood meals and everything was bloody delicious !! 

I always prebook the fruit meal on Eva, generally I eat in the airport lounge before each flight anyway, but find the fruit platter quite nice and easy to eat.

• Great Info 2

15 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I always prebook the fruit meal on Eva, generally I eat in the airport lounge before each flight anyway, but find the fruit platter quite nice and easy to eat.

*noted.

The meals on EVA were not brilliant last time I flew. Definitely going to pre book low gluten meal this trip, which just stung my CC for the thick end of £1600, Econ outward and PE inbound. Add £350 sovs to the taxi to and from LHR and that's 2 grand before I've even stepped foot in town and paid hotel, which is coming in at £740 for 21 days in Mar/Apr. (Page 10)

So, at the time of writing I'm £2700 in the bin just to get to pattaya and have somewhere to sleep.

Factor in daily budget on top, which is usually £100 per day then that's pushing £5 grand for 21 days, give or take.

As an indicator, that's 25% of the cost of my first ever house.

• Like 2

I always book far ahead, this time in May for a January flight with EVA in Premium Economy from Vancouver; it cost me considerably more than the exact same flight pre-covid but I didn't think the prices would go down and I don't believe they have, although I haven't checked lately - mind you, I've never seen much variation in the prices from YVR because this route just doesn't have the volume of your LHR departures. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maipenrai said:

I always book far ahead, this time in May for a January flight with EVA in Premium Economy from Vancouver; it cost me considerably more than the exact same flight pre-covid but I didn't think the prices would go down and I don't believe they have, although I haven't checked lately - mind you, I've never seen much variation in the prices from YVR because this route just doesn't have the volume of your LHR departures. 

Just out of interest, which other carriers fly to LOS from YVR?. Is it a busy route?.

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

Just out of interest, which other carriers fly to LOS from YVR?. Is it a busy route?.

There are several - perhaps I made a wrong assumption by stating that we don't have the volume from there as one must remember what a huge Asian population Vancouver has and there are always family groups of them flying back and forth; however, I got spoiled by years of pleasant and trouble-free flying with EVA in PE and only stopped because for a couple of years they dropped the PE class out of YVR and I changed to Cathay Pacific instead which I found nowhere as good as EVA but once I discovered that PE was on again with EVA I booked with them again right away. I ended up flying out of Thailand with Korean Air during covid and liked their service but their PE was ridiculously expensive when I checked it. 

• Great Info 2

9 hours ago, Butch said:

*noted.

The meals on EVA were not brilliant last time I flew. Definitely going to pre book low gluten meal this trip, which just stung my CC for the thick end of £1600, Econ outward and PE inbound. Add £350 sovs to the taxi to and from LHR and that's 2 grand before I've even stepped foot in town and paid hotel, which is coming in at £740 for 21 days in Mar/Apr. (Page 10)

Page 10 was were we used to stay when we went to Pattaya. It's decent, and good location.

Stayed out past Jomtien/Sattahip way last month, cracking hotel, but no use if you want to be in the middle of Pattaya -

https://www.ravindraresort.com/

• Like 1

Have noticed that Air China are now showing regularly in Skyscanner. Flights for out in January and back in April start around £561, although via agents. Even BA (Qatar Airways flights) are showing from £566 out of Gatwick. Gulf Air and Malaysian offering good deals as well.

Always helps to reduce air fares through larger choice.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Have noticed that Air China are now showing regularly in Skyscanner. Flights for out in January and back in April start around £561, although via agents. 

On another forum, I think I read the catch is the long stopover time. 

16 minutes ago, Bazle said:

On another forum, I think I read the catch is the long stopover time. 

They are offering a good connection outbound (few hours) but the return flight schedule has a 7 hour stopover in Beijing. For me that is not a problem, as you can use their transit lounge (not salubrious but acceptable). The saving is important and I like Beijing airport.

I flew this route before and enjoyed the inflight service which I was expecting to be poor, I was surprised how good it was. I also wanted to see Shanghai and previously I had a 17 hour stop over allowing me a night in town.

I would definitely use them again. There was no restriction on alcohol such as on Finnair although I am talking 'cattle class'.

Luckily my flight on Finnair in 14 days will be in Premium Economy so a few drinks will be in order.

4 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I have spent the afternoon researching dates for my winter trips. It's a balance for me because I book a 3 month trip, followed by a two month trip, or visa versa. 

Flying in November for two months on Eva, followed by 3 months is not cost effective, but giving a two week window from my French trip to get a new passport and a visa, I have a date to fly that gives me my 5 months with a week or so at home in February for £1600 all in.

This wasn't the plan, but all around these dates adds at least a couple of hundred quid if booked now and judging by what happened last year the likelihood is that these prices are going to go up very quickly as we move closer to the dates. Also many of the dates have limited availability too, certainly for the cheaper price.

I am sat in the pub with a pint trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or not.

@Bazle this is all your fault.  Lol

I meant to post this here. Lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Butch said:

The most popular route for me was Calgary-YVR, Air Canada to NRT, ANA to BKK. Got delayed by a strong headwind in 2011, was supposed to be United on last leg…..the Japanese greeted us, apologized profusely, gave us bus ticket to Haneda & 3,000 yen cash, where I caught THAI to BKK…..very professional. Holiday was delayed all of 5 hours

There is an AC flight direct from YVR these days on a 787…..wish they had that years ago

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been looking to book the wife and son for the month of August 2024 ( I’m staying in England). Best I can get direct is £1157 with Eva or £1145 with Thai. 

I think that’s probably the best we are going to get but wondered if folk had any thoughts on that ?

2 hours ago, AJSP said:

Been looking to book the wife and son for the month of August 2024 ( I’m staying in England). Best I can get direct is £1157 with Eva or £1145 with Thai. 

I think that’s probably the best we are going to get but wondered if folk had any thoughts on that ?

I booked similar just as the middle east started to kick off. 

£3300 for 3 of us, July/August, booked direct with EVA, I never use an Agent now, always book direct. Paid £3240, used miles to get £60 off.

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I know it's the Summer holidays .. but that seems expensive ... I would put your dates in Kayak or Skyscanner and set up a weekly email alert for prices ... I doubt they will go up from there , but might come down a bit .. 

Have an alert on with both, Thai has went up. 

These prices have been the same since Covid. Unless there's more competition, I don't see any change, as people are paying for them.

Though obviously if you're flexible, not school holidays, mid week to mid week for whatever, a fair bit cheaper.

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I know it's the Summer holidays .. but that seems expensive ... I would put your dates in Kayak or Skyscanner and set up a weekly email alert for prices ... I doubt they will go up from there , but might come down a bit .. 

ta - I think they will hover around that figure quotes sadly 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I booked similar just as the middle east started to kick off. 

£3300 for 3 of us, July/August, booked direct with EVA, I never use an Agent now, always book direct. Paid £3240, used miles to get £60 off.

Have an alert on with both, Thai has went up. 

These prices have been the same since Covid. Unless there's more competition, I don't see any change, as people are paying for them.

Though obviously if you're flexible, not school holidays, mid week to mid week for whatever, a fair bit cheaper.

Indeed - it seems to be the norm now. Even the non directs are pricey 

did see Saudi for £668 though but not ideal 

Demand is still fairly high for some global routes. Mate at work has been wanting to fly to NZ for ages, prices have effectively doubled plus some more since his cancelled Covid trip.

The ME situation is not going to help, especially if it escalates into something more serious.

I think the cheapest you'll get a flight to LOS would be during rainy season, outside of school holidays (EVA's "high season" is June - Sept) and possibly during a sale or promotion.

Without doubt the £320 return I was paying in 2000 with EVA which also gave me 2 nights accommodation in BKK as part of the deal (through a TA) seems to have been exceptional value as it was less than half a weeks wages at the time.

ultimately we have to put up with it. Prices won't come down any time soon and if a labour Govt gain power in the UK, then expect a large levy of "green taxes" or "carbon taxes" per pax to offset the cost of your flight.

airlines did get into massive debt during covid, so they are recouping that repayment. One thing that struck me is that if Lufthansa are still using 747-8's and A340's which are arguably 2 pretty expensive Aircraft to run, then they must be doing fairly well to justify that bottom line.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1