My Liver Must be Shot

Glasseye

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

I had a blood and urines test a couple of weeks ago as part of my repeat prescription renewal. Came through fine, and I have spent decades in the past abusing my body . The liver is resilient if you give it time to recover.

When my sister passes I’ll be in a position where I could retire to Thailand if I wanted to, she has already given me a lot of money, but still has more, plus I will get her two bedroom home in Twickenham which is worth over a quarter of a million.

But it really would not end well, I would just end up stoned and pissed every day, so I try to keep myself healthy through my diet and exercise,

Go somewhere like Hua Hin. Much more laid back. Or,  even Chiang Mai. Lovely place with many things to do and ways to relax without having all the shit in your face.

My issue now is waiting for some back owed funds to come through. Then I will be in a better position to keep busy with the things I want to do, and not so enticed/limited by the lure of sitting around and drinking.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Go somewhere like Hua Hin. Much more laid back. Or,  even Chiang Mai. Lovely place with many things to do and ways to relax without having all the shit in your face.

My issue now is waiting for some back owed funds to come through. Then I will be in a better position to keep busy with the things I want to do, and not so enticed/limited by the lure of sitting around and drinking.

I have a couple of kids so if everything goes according to plan will work longer until their education is complete.

But after that the same situation applies about how to keep busy, fulfilled and happy. I agree somewhere more laid back and not a full on night life location is the way (practically zero self control here).

Also need a bit of cash to get variety of life, a bit of travel, some luxuries.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Zambo said:

I have a couple of kids so if everything goes according to plan will work longer until their education is complete.

But after that the same situation applies about how to keep busy, fulfilled and happy. I agree somewhere more laid back and not a full on night life location is the way (practically zero self control here).

Also need a bit of cash to get variety of life, a bit of travel, some luxuries.

It takes a bit of time mate. As well as the proper funds, and requires a lot of planning. Also important to be flexible, and be prepared for any unexpected issues that will most certainly arise.

Whatever you do, if you are in a rut, get out of it as soon as reasonably possible. There is a lot of enjoyment and happiness out there. Doesn't happen over night.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, galenkia said:

My problem is my addictive and self destructive personality. It’s why too much time doing nothing is not good for me.

Once I get this situation with Jan dealt with I want to get back to work, as I need a structured day and purpose.

There are plenty of folks who could use your help as a vlounteer. Can keep you busy, and the love in return would be inmeasurable. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, galenkia said:

My problem is my addictive and self destructive personality. It’s why too much time doing nothing is not good for me.

Once I get this situation with Jan dealt with I want to get back to work, as I need a structured day and purpose.

My mate retired last year, like yourself a keen biker. He currently delivers plasma for the NHS in the NABB, prior to that he volunteered at the local Hospital taking surveys and generally helping out. That's what led to the plasma (and baby milk) delivery job, after he got chatting to a rider.

Might be worth a thought, at least you wouldn't need to deal with arsehole bosses.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Butch said:

My mate retired last year, like yourself a keen biker. He currently delivers plasma for the NHS in the NABB, prior to that he volunteered at the local Hospital taking surveys and generally helping out. That's what led to the plasma (and baby milk) delivery job, after he got chatting to a rider.

Might be worth a thought, at least you wouldn't need to deal with arsehole bosses.

Great info mate, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, East is West said:

If you have funds to live on   you can pay all your earnings  up to £40,000 a year  into a pension, in a few years a very nice financial situation.

Looking at my last pension statement I actually lost almost £2500. To be honest, I am actually looking at taking money out from it, but I have to be careful for tax reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Looking at my last pension statement I actually lost almost £2500. To be honest, I am actually looking at taking money out from it, but I have to be careful for tax reasons.

I'd recommend you talk for a financial advisors before making any big decision. And perhaps don't make any financial decisions at present

I look after my own investments. One of my share portfolios  in the  recent  months had dropped from lets say for illustration from  228baht, all the way down to 187baht

It would have been easy to panic, and look to switch. Now it's recovered back to 220baht.

You are welcome to PM at any point. I'd never tell you what to do or buy, but happy for you to bounce ideas of me.

In terms of fee, I can be bought off with a coffee and a cake!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'd recommend you talk for a financial advisors before making any big decision. And perhaps don't make any financial decisions at present

I look after my own investments. One of my share portfolios  in the  recent  months had dropped from lets say for illustration from  228baht, all the way down to 187baht

It would have been easy to panic, and look to switch. Now it's recovered back to 220baht.

You are welcome to PM at any point. I'd never tell you what to do or buy, but happy for you to bounce ideas of me.

In terms of fee, I can be bought off with a coffee and a cake!!

Financially I’m in a good position, with Jan’s money and flat it’s about half a million in total, and that’s not including my own money,so I’m pretty much sorted money wise for the rest of my life.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Even the best financial minds and plans can go belly up. Investing is like a minefield. Many people (including myself) got hit hard during the 2008 housing crash. Many who followed the advice of the "experts" got burned bad or completely wiped out. 

The banks and Dog damn rating agencies that had so many stocks and various investments AAA rated, etc. seriously fcuked over millions of people. Also seriously fcucked up the World economy.

In reality we are still in recovery, and some of the safeguards/regulations they followed with are a friggen joke.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, galenkia said:

Financially I’m in a good position, with Jan’s money and flat it’s about half a million in total, and that’s not including my own money,so I’m pretty much sorted money wise for the rest of my life.

Not my business what else you've got, but half a million can be easily blown.  Even without buying a place to stay, a car, bike or any other big price ticket item if you draw £2,000 per month and increase this annually by 3% to cover inflation it won't last 17 years.  Buy a couple of Business Class returns over here each year and it's down to under 15 years.

Now if it's invested wisely and you have a full state pension to come things look a bit better, but make sure you have done all the sums.

You've mentioned before that you don't expect to be a centenarian, but you don't know that for sure until it's too late!

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, KWA said:

Not my business what else you've got, but half a million can be easily blown.  Even without buying a place to stay, a car, bike or any other big price ticket item if you draw £2,000 per month and increase this annually by 3% to cover inflation it won't last 17 years.  Buy a couple of Business Class returns over here each year and it's down to under 15 years.

Now if it's invested wisely and you have a full state pension to come things look a bit better, but make sure you have done all the sums.

You've mentioned before that you don't expect to be a centenarian, but you don't know that for sure until it's too late!

The flat won’t be sold unless I’m desperate for money. Jan’s flatmate Sally is staying there, and I may move in myself.

I will put my CV online sometime next year and get back working so I won’t have any issues regarding money.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/27/2023 at 8:38 AM, galenkia said:

I'm the same 3k + lost during covid ,the last 4 months it's gained over 1k ,I already sent for  request pack to take cash oot , 55 now but I think I'll leave it since intrest on savings ect are high,seen one today offering 8% ,but there's a maximum you can put in.

• Great Info 1

On 11/27/2023 at 2:19 PM, galenkia said:

Don't hold onto it to long ,just like my friend Mr paul who passed away in Feb,had bought condo in chang mai,all ready to retire in 2 years,could have made the move earlier, but kept working away to top up ,one thing we cant buy is time as ye know.,enjoy while ye can.

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Don't hold onto it to long ,just like my friend Mr paul who passed away in Feb,had bought condo in chang mai,all ready to retire in 2 years,could have made the move earlier, but kept working away to top up ,one thing we cant buy is time as ye know.,enjoy while ye can.

Yeah, Jan’s cancer has made me reavalute my life. I have lost my parents in their 50’s and will soon lose my sister at 57.

I am 55 with a past that I don’t know how I’m still alive now. So now I’m past caring basically.When I lose Jan I have nothing so I really don’t fucking care anymore.

• Sad 2

On 11/28/2023 at 2:22 PM, galenkia said:

The flat won’t be sold unless I’m desperate for money. Jan’s flatmate Sally is staying there, and I may move in myself.

I will put my CV online sometime next year and get back working so I won’t have any issues regarding money.

Then stick with CD's. The interest returns are high now, and safe. Ladder the cd's (you can learn more about that later). Stick with safe, live below your means, find happiness in the small things and you will have a good life.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Dear G. 

Just be careful and take your time please. 

Good financial advice isn't free but it's damwell worth it if you find the right people to deal with. 

Good win for QPR tonight. 

"The right people" being the operative words. Best bet is get someone you know and trust to recommend someone 

• Like 1