App. Issues

Glasseye

54 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Thanks I don't have that function on the phone.

I use google translate constantly, but I am not good at doing the screen shot thing. I need to work on that some, but I usually hate when people send me screen shots.

On a PC I can handle just about anything. But with mobiles it can be a real pain in the ass when out in 40 degree direct sun light. That kind of thing can put me into a bit of a tizzy.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I do as little on my phone as possible, much preferring to use the PC, but some things you just can't avoid. And the phone seems to be the way of the future, the GF hardly even bothers with the TV any more, preferring to watch stuff on her Apple iPhone.

1 minute ago, Toy Boy said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, I do as little on my phone as possible, much preferring to use the PC, but some things you just can't avoid. And the phone seems to be the way of the future, the GF hardly even bothers with the TV any more, preferring to watch stuff on her Apple iPhone.

Wait until she gets older and her eyes start to go. One of the main reasons I use the laptop. That and I can't hit the bloody correct keys on the mobile virtual keyboard. Amazed at the guys, and gals, that can zip along typing with just their thumbs. Wish my eyes were good enough so I could see how they do it. :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

I agree with all of the above. The little I watch tv anymore it is something sent from my PC. The trend is toward mobile though, and I reckon no matter what have to get more adept with it.

A few years back I had a few sit downs with my sister who is 16 years older than I am. Most people in her age group were resistant to learn computer usage. I don't really blame them. BUT, I knew that in order to function she had to begin to learn. In her good health she could live many more years. Without beginning to tackle the associated learning curve associated she would later encounter many obstacles. Over time she began to piece things together fortunately. It wasn't easy but I kept the drum beat going. She is coming along with it.

It's sad how it has taken over and sucks so much out of us. But as with many other things in life we have limited control over it. If we don't stay current with it we are at a real disadvantage. Many people are going to be royally fcuked over because of it.

Folks who recognize the gap that is widening should help others at a disadvantage when they can, and help each other. Because it really is about us vs. them. If we don't speak out, or participate in trying to make things more sensible then we are as much of the problem. Often it takes a collective stink bomb to get small changes accomplished. We go to battle every day with these mother fcukers, and in the end we will lose the war. There is too much stacked against us. But I ain't going down without a fight, that's for damn sure !

17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Wait until she gets older and her eyes start to go. One of the main reasons I use the laptop. That and I can't hit the bloody correct keys on the mobile virtual keyboard. Amazed at the guys, and gals, that can zip along typing with just their thumbs. Wish my eyes were good enough so I could see how they do it. :default_biggrin:

Spot on and think about it.... arthritis, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

After the 2nd 45 minute session at a nearby branch of the bank that begins with B..... I finally got my sign on mobile (fcuk using the PC account) and ATM card issues sorted out. All the crap they are doing with their app security is a massive cluster.

Be prepared... it is super easy to get "locked out" and a major pain to fix. It will happen to some of you eventually and then you will understand what I am talking about.

Thought I would post this in here, even though it ain't really app. related.

Computer in general has been acting up a bit lately. And I know it's not on my end (at least i"m pretty sure).

Anyone else noticing some "strangness going on".

Well I've come across an issue with one of my apps when I use my Gmail on my tablet or my phone's to send out an email or reply when I press the microphone to use my voice instead of typing because I'm a lazy prick I get a message saying this app does not support voice recognition. Normally I would just say okay I guess I've got a type but it has supported voice recognition for years I've used it and now all of the sudden today it's decided it doesn't support it.

It's got to be a Gmail Google app thing because I then downloaded SwiftKey which I really like don't know why I didn't do it sooner and I can use dictation in emails and everything with that anybody else experience something similar?

• Great Info 1

40 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Well I've come across an issue with one of my apps when I use my Gmail on my tablet or my phone's to send out an email or reply when I press the microphone to use my voice instead of typing because I'm a lazy prick I get a message saying this app does not support voice recognition. Normally I would just say okay I guess I've got a type but it has supported voice recognition for years I've used it and now all of the sudden today it's decided it doesn't support it.

It's got to be a Gmail Google app thing because I then downloaded SwiftKey which I really like don't know why I didn't do it sooner and I can use dictation in emails and everything with that anybody else experience something similar?

Never used voice to text in Gmail before. Just tried and got the message "no permission to enable voice typing". That's the same message I was getting on one of my websites I coded that has a page for looking up names. Always bothered me I couldn't use voice to text for the lookup.

Did a bit of searching on the problem just now and that led me Languages & Input under settings. There you can change the input to Google Voice Typing, which solved the problem with both Gmail and the name lookup page. Problem is, once you tap out of Google Voice Typing, it reverts back to Gboard. It looks like everytime you want to use voice to text you'd have to go into settings and change it for a one time use.

There must be a way around that, but now I don't need to waste any more time trying to figure that out because of your mention of SwiftKey. I downloaded the app and it works great for voice to text and as a regular keyboard. So a big thank you for that!

52 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Never used voice to text in Gmail before. Just tried and got the message "no permission to enable voice typing". That's the same message I was getting on one of my websites I coded that has a page for looking up names. Always bothered me I couldn't use voice to text for the lookup.

Did a bit of searching on the problem just now and that led me Languages & Input under settings. There you can change the input to Google Voice Typing, which solved the problem with both Gmail and the name lookup page. Problem is, once you tap out of Google Voice Typing, it reverts back to Gboard. It looks like everytime you want to use voice to text you'd have to go into settings and change it for a one time use.

There must be a way around that, but now I don't need to waste any more time trying to figure that out because of your mention of SwiftKey. I downloaded the app and it works great for voice to text and as a regular keyboard. So a big thank you for that!

Yeah I have always used SwiftKey in the past I don't know why I didn't install it on my tablet in my new telephone as well now it's there voice typing back life is good😊

36 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Yeah I have always used SwiftKey in the past I don't know why I didn't install it on my tablet in my new telephone as well now it's there voice typing back life is good😊

One problem with the voice to text is it censors words. Fortunately that "feature" can be turned off in SwiftKey. Why it's a problem is the name lookup I use is for hash names, and some contain offensive words like F*** Off. :default_biggrin:

21 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

One problem with the voice to text is it censors words. Fortunately that "feature" can be turned off in SwiftKey. Why it's a problem is the name lookup I use is for hash names, and some contain offensive words like F*** Off. :default_biggrin:

I couldn't find where to turn off the censorship I looked in settings and couldn't find it for SwiftKey how did you do it?

2 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I couldn't find where to turn off the censorship I looked in settings and couldn't find it for SwiftKey how did you do it?

When you have the "say something" screen up, there's a gear icon to the left of the microphone icon. Tap that and you should see "Block offensive words" at the top of the settings.

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

When you have the "say something" screen up, there's a gear icon to the left of the microphone icon. Tap that and you should see "Block offensive words" at the top of the settings.

Yes that was the ticket thank you very much I was pulling my hair out and I don't have much left trying to figure it out

15 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

12 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Yes that was the ticket thank you very much I was pulling my hair out and I don't have much left trying to figure it out

This ^^^   And the other related posts are very interesting to me.

Larry, when I first met you I was a phone idiot (still am). It sometimes amazed me how you did so many things talking into your hand. I thought to myself I will never figure out how to do that and all of the other tech related shit.

I've come a long way since then. Yet, I have many more mountains to climb.

I will look into this swiftkey thing when the time allows. Maybe start the learning curve, maybe not.

Either way, thanks much to you and Force.

• Like 1

Up until a few days ago I was able to touch the microphone on Google Chrome and use it to set an alarm using a voice command. That no longer works. Whether it's do to installing SwiftKey or an OS update a few days ago, I don't know.

I suspect the OS update is to blame as the microphone used to be tied in with Google Assistant. Now to activate Google Assistant it requires a .5 sec push and hold on the power button.

As usual two steps forward with improvements and then one step backwards.

58 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Up until a few days ago I was able to touch the microphone on Google Chrome and use it to set an alarm using a voice command. That no longer works. Whether it's do to installing SwiftKey or an OS update a few days ago, I don't know.

I suspect the OS update is to blame as the microphone used to be tied in with Google Assistant. Now to activate Google Assistant it requires a .5 sec push and hold on the power button.

As usual two steps forward with improvements and then one step backwards.

I think updates are one of the primary ways things get whacked out.

Sneaking shit into your phone or onto your PC under the guise "we're making your app. better". 

Stinking cnuts, they are't fooling anybody. Bastards the lot....