Over staying

Siam Addict

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I only use taxis and public transport in Thailand, if I was driving a car or motorbike I think I would be better prepared and have the necessary paperwork/ copies .. 

But as a single traveller I should have some form of identification on me , just incase I was involved in an accident , plus my travel insurance company , policy number  .. 

Yep !       Absolutely mate.      Heavy emphasis on this mate.

On 1/18/2024 at 5:06 AM, Stillearly said:

But as a single traveller I should have some form of identification on me , just incase I was involved in an accident , plus my travel insurance company , policy number  .. 

Bingo. 

Worth it just for that alone mate.

Also, you never know when your mate may take an innocent picture of the US Embassy and get stopped by the armed police!

Pretty sure I would have been arrested that day if I hadn't been able to produce a copy of my passport.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, boydeste said:

Bingo. 

Worth it just for that alone mate.

Also, you never know when your mate may take an innocent picture of the US Embassy and get stopped by the armed police!

Pretty sure I would have been arrested that day if I hadn't been able to produce a copy of my passport.

lol

My Thai driver's license has worked the very few times I've been asked for ID when out and about.  That said I do have a copy of the passport signature page and last extension page reduced down to credit card size and carried in my wallet.  I've never needed it though.

• Like 2

I mentioned it before after it happened, but I got stopped whilst walking through to departures in Don Mueng airport by two female immigration officers. They wanted to check my passport for over stay. They seemed a bit disappointed when they found my recently done extension. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/17/2024 at 10:06 PM, Stillearly said:

I only use taxis and public transport in Thailand, if I was driving a car or motorbike I think I would be better prepared and have the necessary paperwork/ copies .. 

not overstay ... but this chap is in a coma and his family don't know if he has insurance ...

Family set up fundraiser to bring back man injured in Thailand

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-68041359

4 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Sorry to be so harsh. But, I have no emphaty for guys like this, for several reasons.

I don't have sympathy for people that don't bother to take out insurance .... but in this case his family have no idea if he does and he is unable to communicate 🤷‍♂️

it reminded me to start carrying my own details in my wallet

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I don't have sympathy for people that don't bother to take out insurance .... but in this case his family have no idea if he does and he is unable to communicate 🤷‍♂️

Yes, sounds like it would be a good idea to carry a copy of your insurance certificate, as well as a copy of your passport.

My best mate always confirms where his insurance certificate is, just in case something happens to him while in Thailand. Probably a good idea to confirm with a close friend, that you have insurance, in case an event like the guys does occur.

Sounds like the guy probably doesn't have insurance, but maybe there should be a central database that can be assessed by relevant authorities to find out if travel insurance has been taken out.

Sad situation regardless. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Yes, sounds like it would be a good idea to carry a copy of your insurance certificate, as well as a copy of your passport.

My best mate always confirms where his insurance certificate is, just in case something happens to him while in Thailand. Probably a good idea to confirm with a close friend, that you have insurance, in case an event like the guys does occur.

Sounds like the guy probably doesn't have insurance, but maybe there should be a central database that can be assessed by relevant authorities to find out if travel insurance has been taken out.

Sad situation regardless. 

I'm suprised there aren't any companies that give out a a plastic card with your name , policy number and the emergency phone number on it  ... 🤷‍♂️ 

I've done a google search for U.K. insurers but can't see any 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I'm suprised there aren't any companies that give out a a plastic card with your name , policy number and the emergency phone number on it  ... 🤷‍♂️ 

I've done a google search for U.K. insurers but can't see any 

One insurer (staysure?) used to issue one, but that was many years ago.

I put together a business card sized thing, name, passport number, my thai phone number and insurance policy number and emergency contact number on one side, and next of kin numbers (both for Thailand and uk) on the other. 

One is on the table under the TV in the condo, one in my wallet, one in my phone case, one at the condo office. There's also a copy with my two powers of attorney in the uk. Probably overkill, and hopefully never be needed,  but...

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, Stillearly said:

If it (insurance details) wasn’t in his wallet then it’s probably with his belongings where he was staying. Anyone with half a brain would carry a copy of their policy with them, or at least a copy at their accommodation. Thats of course if he had insurance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

If it (insurance details) wasn’t in his wallet then it’s probably with his belongings where he was staying. Anyone with half a brain would carry a copy of their policy with them, or at least a copy at their accommodation. Thats of course if he had insurance. 

Not everyone carries paper copies around with them .... a lot of companies are paperless and most people have apps on their phones these days 

18 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Not everyone carries paper copies around with them .... a lot of companies are paperless and most people have apps on their phones these days 

True, but I know 2 that do,(3 if you count yourself) 😉 my wife and son when they travel to Thailand.😉

Despite the fact they both have Thai passports which would give them access to some medical facilities, but obviously not as good as a decent insurance policy would provide. 

In fact, I also have a copy at home.

I’ve yet to buy travel insurance for them in the UK from a company that doesn’t send me printed copies of the insurance policies when asked, which I scan and print off copies for her to take with her, which includes phone numbers for her to call in UK if a medical problem occurs and if either of them requires hospital treatment. She carries it with her at all times, it’s no big deal. 

If the guy in question did have travel insurance, but didn’t tell anyone, then the chances of anyone finding a copy is minute and his family have to find the £60k elsewhere. 

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would hazard a guess there is a significant minority that it doesn't even cross their mind they should carry a copy of their insurance card for their own protection.

I'm not one of them as I always have on my person or in my hydration backpack when out running a copy of my passport and insurance. I also have copies on my phone, but realize that won't do me much good if I'm incapacitated as its password protected.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Thanks for the clarification.

I am still working on updating wills, poa's, etc.

The number of privacy authorization forms etc., is mind boggling.

Good to have on you a hotel biz card, and home contact (relative or POA) with you also. So, even if you don't have certain info. on your person at least they would know where you are staying and maybe could locate contact info. in your room.

59 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

True, but I know 2 that do,(3 if you count yourself) 😉 my wife and son when they travel to Thailand.😉

Despite the fact they both have Thai passports which would give them access to some medical facilities, but obviously not as good as a decent insurance policy would provide. 

In fact, I also have a copy at home.

I’ve yet to buy travel insurance for them in the UK from a company that doesn’t send me printed copies of the insurance policies when asked, which I scan and print off copies for her to take with her, which includes phone numbers for her to call in UK if a medical problem occurs and if either of them requires hospital treatment. She carries it with her at all times, it’s no big deal. 

If the guy in question did have travel insurance, but didn’t tell anyone, then the chances of anyone finding a copy is minute and his family have to find the £60k elsewhere. 

After thinking about this.....   There may be some kind of registry required by law. Where anyone with certain types of insurance are entered into a data base indicating the name of the company and period of coverage.

In the U.S. each state (as far as I know) has a  "department" of insurance. I am wondering if there is such a thing (auto filing of data).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Painter said:

One insurer (staysure?) used to issue one, but that was many years ago.

I put together a business card sized thing, name, passport number, my thai phone number and insurance policy number and emergency contact number on one side, and next of kin numbers (both for Thailand and uk) on the other. 

One is on the table under the TV in the condo, one in my wallet, one in my phone case, one at the condo office. There's also a copy with my two powers of attorney in the uk. Probably overkill, and hopefully never be needed,  but...

You have your stuff together. Good one !  I am wrapping up the POA's soon. Once that is completed will have a card for the 24/7 main contact (that service coordinates all medical, insurance and contact info.,wills and it ain't very expensive), and another separate set of contact numbers. 

In addition all related insurance cards, and cc for proof of payment means.

"Don't leave home without it"

Defo. not overkill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/21/2024 at 7:43 PM, boydeste said:

I mentioned it before after it happened, but I got stopped whilst walking through to departures in Don Mueng airport by two female immigration officers. They wanted to check my passport for over stay. They seemed a bit disappointed when they found my recently done extension. 

I was hit up once for that a while back. I believe it was in CM airport.

2 rookies and 1 dickhead. The 2 rookies were pleasant. The one dickhead was "fake nice". He seemed to have the kind of attitude I think you experienced.

Kind of like he was showing off and thought he sensed a good target. But he missed big time as everything was in order. I was respectful  and curteous throughout as anyone should be in such circumstance. As he was finishing up I shot a look at the other two guys (like, this guy is an idiot). The non-verbals back from them were (yeah, he's a dickhead).  

Two minutes later I was on my way. 

• Thumbs Up 2