Your favourite childhood toys.

Butch

Just now, boydeste said:

I had a set of those, we used to call them Keknockers, not sure of the real name.

We called them Klackers. Responsible for more childhood injuries than lawn darts.

lawndart.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I too had an action man and also a wind up train set as a youngster.

Meccano and lego sets kept me busy for hours.

The train set was replaced with a Skalextric track and a few race cars.

I still have some of the toy cap guns that we used chasing each other around the park, as well as a Shado intercepter from the UFO series, complete with the front missile that still fires!

Yep, I had one as well, metallic green with the SHADO sticker on the side and orange skids, big yellow missile that would fire if you pulled the spring trigger back underneath then pressed the small clip on the side of the ship!.

Still got it somewhere, possibly I think it it was a Dinky toy as well.

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

Yep, I had one as well, metallic green with the SHADO sticker on the side and orange skids, big yellow missile that would fire if you pulled the spring trigger back underneath then pressed the small clip on the side of the ship!.

Still got it somewhere, possibly I think it it was a Dinky toy as well.

Mine sits here on my memorabilia shelf. Looks like I have lifted the front panel for some reason in the past.

20240212_202350.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I was six, Davey Crockett was a huge craze in the U.S.  The most exciting Christmas gifts I ever got were a coonskin cap and long rifle.

382007153d345e114a56be89cd8fbbf2.jpg

hobby-kits---life-like-products-inc---kentucky-long-rifle--full-size-rifle-model---4-feet-5-inch----p-image-274003-grande.jpg

After that, I definitely fell into the model-building category.  From the time I was seven or eight, almost all my toys were kits- cars, planes, ships, space ships, figures. whatever could be glued together and painted.  

My specialty was balsa airplanes that could be flown.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 163104.png

I, too,  continued with model-building in adulthood, especially during the times I was laid up with injuries.  It was a great way to pass the time.

My nephew was a Star Wars fanatic back when the first film came out in 1978.  For his birthday, I bought him a set of all the Star Wars figures available at the time.  Since he already had most of them,  my sister, a thrifty woman, held them back so they could later be sold in their original packaging.  Forty-six years on, he still has them in mint condition in the original packaging along with the receipt.  Their value at auction has been estimated between $5,000 and $10,000, depending where they would be sold.  Collectors outside the U.S. tend to pay more.  He  kept the figures with which he played heavily and even they are worth between $5 and $20 each in worn condition.  

Evil

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Hard to pick a favorite toy. Like Xmas, you're excited with the new toy, play with it for a short while, then quickly lose interest. Kind of like today's young adults and their short attention span. :default_biggrin:

But of the toys that kept my interest longer than most, hot wheels would be one of them.

image.jpeg

Oh heck yes. 

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Daisy.jpg

Had me a Crossman (gas power). Everyone else had Daisy pumps. 

Thing actually helped me learn about guns and how deadly they can be (even a bb gun). Taught me the understanding of how terrible it is to take the life of another creature.

10 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Had me a Crossman (gas power). Everyone else had Daisy pumps. 

Thing actually helped me learn about guns and how deadly they can be (even a bb gun). Taught me the understanding of how terrible it is to take the life of another creature.

In the sticks where I grew up; hunting is a way of life. Our credo was more or less don't brandish a weapon unless you are prepared to use it; shoot to kill, and eat what you kill. Everyone I grew up with was taught how to use weapons about the same time they started riding bicycles without training wheels. It's still that way today.

But back to childhood toys, still my favorite bicycle and they can bring thousands these days for survivors in good condition.The below Schwinn Stingray is on offer on ebay for $4795.

Schwinn.jpg

14 minutes ago, Trip said:

In the sticks where I grew up; hunting is a way of life. Our credo was more or less don't brandish a weapon unless you are prepared to use it; shoot to kill, and eat what you kill. Everyone I grew up with was taught how to use weapons about the same time they started riding bicycles without training wheels. It's still that way today.

But back to childhood toys, still my favorite bicycle and they can bring thousands these days for survivors in good condition.The below Schwinn Stingray is on offer on ebay for $4795.

Schwinn.jpg

Don't give a hoot where people lived, or that their grandad taught gun safety, etc., or whatever. Never cared for taking the life of another creature, personally (and don't give me that canned response "well you eat meat, don't cha, blah blah blah).

That Stingray looks "pimped up", not original. Only a complete fool would pay that asking price.

10 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Don't give a hoot where people lived, or that their grandad taught gun safety, etc., or whatever. Never cared for taking the life of another creature, personally (and don't give me that canned response "well you eat meat, don't cha, blah blah blah).

That Stingray looks "pimped up", not original. Only a complete fool would pay that asking price.

Different strokes different folks.

I grieve for the sentient lettuce though.

Yeah, wouldn't pay near that asking price and it does look tarted up. I would pay up to $1000 for a good survivor if I could find one near me. I think it'd be a nice living room conversation piece, but then I keep a restored 1972 Honda Mini trail 50cc there as it is. Still miss my Heathkit ...

HK.jpg

2 hours ago, Trip said:

Different strokes different folks.

I grieve for the sentient lettuce though.

Yeah, wouldn't pay near that asking price and it does look tarted up. I would pay up to $1000 for a good survivor if I could find one near me. I think it'd be a nice living room conversation piece, but then I keep a restored 1972 Honda Mini trail 50cc there as it is. Still miss my Heathkit ...

HK.jpg

Could be fun I reckon. Kind of looks like a "bogmobile".

9 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Could be fun I reckon. Kind of looks like a "bogmobile".

We used to jump ramps with it. Didn't last long after that so went to the Honda which had for that time 'advanced' suspension.

4 hours ago, Trip said:

We used to jump ramps with it. Didn't last long after that so went to the Honda which had for that time 'advanced' suspension.

lol     I bet you "racked" that spot between your balls and asshole quite a few times.     

14 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Märklin and Lima electric railways.

Lego, meccano and similar. All tossed together in a massive box and used as my fantasy told me to use them.

Please enlighten us with more detail.      😃

Mallard.jpg

I was given a Hornby train set one Christmas with the engine exactly like the above. Over time I added accessories until it completely filled the available floor space.

I remember that it could be a little temperamental  with something array with the electrical connection at times.

Long after it ceased to be a toy the engine was on show in a display cabinet but what finally happened to it I do not recall.

On 2/11/2024 at 9:12 PM, Butch said:

In the USA I think he was called GI Joe, in the UK it was Action man. I had 5 "Action men" , my "squad" Parachutist, Diver, 2x Pongo, and an Astronaut. They were inherited from my brothers, so came with missing hands, "bulletholes" made by a screwdriver and other stuff, but they were my sqaud, and we had some great adventures.

Most importantly, they all had an SLR (or FN) rifle each, and thus were indestructible.

Yep - the "Gasworks Gang" saw some pretty tough action back in the day, and always came through.

864e55eb4b5ed35f6f8315ff5a8d136d.jpg

Untitled.jpg

28983-1-medium.jpg

96198b0d3e99a06ed5e1b3f74b4890e5.jpg

Action Man he could do everything except dress himself 

Remember getting woken up in the early hours on Christmas Day by my son 

to put a frogman suit on , nearly lost a eye 

29 minutes ago, richy65 said:

Another big favourite, i used to paint the players in WBA colours 

IMG_2600.webp

Both of your toys look great, i can't remember either of those. For football and cars we had subbuteo and hot wheels as mentioned in other posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Loved my bike , Blue Grifter about 1976/77 

IMG_6588.jpeg

Nice looking bike.

My brother had a chopper (I think similar to the schwinn stingray mentioned by Trip) which i had a nasty downhill accident on with a high speed front wheel wobble. Mine was a drop handlebar racer, which i felt much safer on 

3 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Nice looking bike.

My brother had a chopper (I think similar to the schwinn stingray mentioned by Trip) which i had a nasty downhill accident on with a high speed front wheel wobble. Mine was a drop handlebar racer, which i felt much safer on 

I got a Peugeot Racer in about 1980 , they hadn't tightened up the handlebars properly ... I cycled it home from the shop and when I tried to do a sharp turn , I went over the handlebars  ... this was before helmets .. my Dad went apeshit with them .. they replaced the bike completely 

• Surprised 1