Your favourite childhood toys.

Butch

In the USA I think he was called GI Joe, in the UK it was Action man. I had 5 "Action men" , my "squad" Parachutist, Diver, 2x Pongo, and an Astronaut. They were inherited from my brothers, so came with missing hands, "bulletholes" made by a screwdriver and other stuff, but they were my sqaud, and we had some great adventures.

Most importantly, they all had an SLR (or FN) rifle each, and thus were indestructible.

Yep - the "Gasworks Gang" saw some pretty tough action back in the day, and always came through.

864e55eb4b5ed35f6f8315ff5a8d136d.jpg

Untitled.jpg

28983-1-medium.jpg

96198b0d3e99a06ed5e1b3f74b4890e5.jpg

• Like 3

I had two. Regular and the diver. Remember making a large, compartmentalised box to house everything. Also made a large tent for them.

Wouldn't have been my favourite toy though, that would have had to be my bike.

• Like 2

Bit of a toss up between Action Man figures and Star Wars figures.

Had some of the vehicles for both of them.

Not so much toys, but I really loved Airfix planes as a kid, really enjoyed building them and painting them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Not so much toys, but I really loved Airfix planes as a kid, really enjoyed building them and painting them.

Same with me, I remember building models more than anything - not many airplanes, but lots of cars, especially road racing cars from the '60s which remain a passion today. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, galenkia said:

A few years ago when I lost my Mum and my brothers turned into official cunts, I took up Airfix again mate. Very theraputic as you can get the whole kits including the paint for about £12 give or take. Don;t bother with the Corsair though, it's a fucking nightmare.

Paints are cheap anyway, Ebay them, grab yourself a couple of models or give me your address as I've got a couple of kits going begging anyway and will happily post them to you.

Here are my attempts, all nicely presented on a stolen EVA Air blanket.

PXL_20240211_210702886 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20240211_210710663 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20240211_210715488 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20240211_210725651 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20240211_210731626 (Medium).jpg

Although the scales are different , it's not about that so much, more about the journey. Tamiya do some really good scaled stuff which is cheap and fun to make.

(note the Bren gun carrier is smaller scale than the rest)

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Butch said:

In the USA I think he was called GI Joe, in the UK it was Action man. I had 5 "Action men" , my "squad" Parachutist, Diver, 2x Pongo, and an Astronaut. They were inherited from my brothers, so came with missing hands, "bulletholes" made by a screwdriver and other stuff, but they were my sqaud, and we had some great adventures.

Most importantly, they all had an SLR (or FN) rifle each, and thus were indestructible.

Yep - the "Gasworks Gang" saw some pretty tough action back in the day, and always came through.

864e55eb4b5ed35f6f8315ff5a8d136d.jpg

Untitled.jpg

28983-1-medium.jpg

96198b0d3e99a06ed5e1b3f74b4890e5.jpg

I had a similar parachutist but not sure if it was action man or not, had to fill the body with water then let him fly. Was playing with it on some fields by the M5 in West Bromwich once and a load of Police turned up to see what was going on because they thought it was really a parachutist coming down to land!

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, richy65 said:

I spent endless hours building Airfix WW2 aeroplanes, had loads hanging off my bedroom ceiling.

Honestly mate , I found, and still find it so therapeutic to do. My daughter helps me paint the camo (actually she does the lot herself) and it is a cheap hobby. Initially my head was in a bad place, so the concentration level took me away for a bit, then I found it actually relaxing, as I didn't aim for perfection, just followed the instructions.

There's a lot to be said for closing out the world and getting into a zone like that. I actually use my mum's old crochet lens complete with light to help.

i was the same as a kid, nicking my Mum's needle thread on a bobbin, sellotape on the ceiling with one bit attached to the front and one to the rear, always followed by BF109's lol/

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

Honestly mate , I found, and still find it so therapeutic to do. My daughter helps me paint the camo (actually she does the lot herself) and it is a cheap hobby. Initially my head was in a bad place, so the concentration level took me away for a bit, then I found it actually relaxing, as I didn't aim for perfection, just followed the instructions.

There's a lot to be said for closing out the world and getting into a zone like that. I actually use my mum's old crochet lens complete with light to help.

i was the same as a kid, nicking my Mum's needle thread on a bobbin, sellotape on the ceiling with one bit attached to the front and one to the rear, always followed by BF109's lol/

I used to love it, had to get everything perfect. I'd even paint the pilot before gluing him into the cockpit.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Just now, richy65 said:

I used to love it, had to get everything perfect. I'd even paint the pilot before gluing him into the cockpit.

Parachute on the front in orange!

I did that as well, but my painting skills were less than perfect (as you can see by my display lol)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard to pick a favorite toy. Like Xmas, you're excited with the new toy, play with it for a short while, then quickly lose interest. Kind of like today's young adults and their short attention span. :default_biggrin:

But of the toys that kept my interest longer than most, hot wheels would be one of them.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Best Xmas gift ever , was about five or six when I got it , still remember opening it 

IMG_6582.jpeg

Had the action man as well , with Jeep and trailer .. also had a smaller version called "little big man" 

Think I used to spend longest playing with my wooden fort , soldiers , cowboys and Indian figures 

they're still all up in my Dads loft ... 555

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, galenkia said:

but I really loved Airfix planes as a kid,

8 hours ago, Butch said:

I took up Airfix again mate.

7 hours ago, richy65 said:

I spent endless hours building Airfix WW2 aeroplanes, had loads hanging off my bedroom ceiling.

Me Too !

Ships and planes !! Even Woolies had cheap ones for sale too...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK I had many…..GI JOE and Transformers were the main ones. LEGO too, Jesus the prices some of these are going for today is crazy…then again what 9 year old got these for his birthday and would never open them waiting 40 years to sell ? 

Omega Supreme

Cobra Hydrofoil

Yellow Castle 

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Football.jpg

What is it, is it electric? We had a soccer game called subbuteo which had a similar look but definitely not electric - flick to kick. Oh and a much bigger playing field.

3 minutes ago, Zambo said:

What is it, is it electric? We had a soccer game called subbuteo which had a similar look but definitely not electric - flick to kick. Oh and a much bigger playing field.

Yeah, electric. They vibrated their way across the table.

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

Those things sucked ! Took forever to set up. Ended up binning it.

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Klackers.jpg

Ha !

3 hours ago, Zambo said:

Spent hours playing subbuteo cricket with my bro. Think we invented bazball.... 

Mum's probably still got the scorebooks we kept

Put me down as another airfix fan, but mine rarely got painted after construction 

• Thumbs Up 1

I too had an action man and also a wind up train set as a youngster.

Meccano and lego sets kept me busy for hours.

The train set was replaced with a Skalextric track and a few race cars.

I still have some of the toy cap guns that we used chasing each other around the park, as well as a Shado intercepter from the UFO series, complete with the front missile that still fires!