VPN question for you tekkies

Golfingboy

OK very simple question for those in the know…..but might have very serious implications for me in the future…..

I have never had a VPN, but really thinking about it now. What I need to know is….If I am using a site, whether it be an employer, social, whatever whose only strict requirement is that I physically must be in the Montreal area while online……

CAN I GET AWAY WITH CHANGING MY LOCATION TO MONTREAL FROM THAILAND, COLOMBIA, ETC  without them knowing, hence technically not breaking any rules ???

Thanks in advance fellas

19 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

OK very simple question for those in the know…..but might have very serious implications for me in the future…..

I have never had a VPN, but really thinking about it now. What I need to know is….If I am using a site, whether it be an employer, social, whatever whose only strict requirement is that I physically must be in the Montreal area while online……

CAN I GET AWAY WITH CHANGING MY LOCATION TO MONTREAL FROM THAILAND, COLOMBIA, ETC  without them knowing, hence technically not breaking any rules ???

Thanks in advance fellas

Technically, you would be breaking the rules, but the chances of getting caught are limited, as long as you have a Montreal area exit point. They may catch you with a latency test though, especially when they are located in the Montreal area. They won't know where you are, but they will know you are more than 1,000 miles from Montreal.

• Great Info 1

Yes. If you are physically in another place and you use a VPN set to to a different location, the website owner/admin will see you from the location you have selected in the VPN. 

But.... since VPN servers are shared by many other users who have set their VPN program to the same location as you, you are then sharing the same IP address (or range). You have no control over what other people are using the given IP for, thus some websites might restrict services or simply deny access to an IP address from VPNs.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Yes. If you are physically in another place and you use a VPN set to to a different location, the website owner/admin will see you from the location you have selected in the VPN. 

But.... since VPN servers are shared by many other users who have set their VPN program to the same location as you, you are then sharing the same IP address (or range). You have no control over what other people are using the given IP for, thus some websites might restrict services or simply deny access to an IP address from VPNs.

That problem can be limited by using a reputable VPN provider. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Want to thank you fellas for the fast response…..Let’s just say even I won’t be an ex-pat for a while, as planned

Sounds like it might work for a week or a month, but let’s just say they would no doubt look into it given the resources available and I would be SOL

26 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Want to thank you fellas for the fast response…..Let’s just say even I won’t be an ex-pat for a while, as planned

Sounds like it might work for a week or a month, but let’s just say they would no doubt look into it given the resources available and I would be SOL

Most likely.

But why the strict requirement? 

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

Most likely.

But why the strict requirement? 

Good question mate, but as a guy whose big mouth has only been saved by his 300 pound frame many times…..

Nobody’s f—king business but mine….no disrespect intended 

27 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Good question mate, but as a guy whose big mouth has only been saved by his 300 pound frame many times…..

Nobody’s f—king business but mine….no disrespect intended 

None taken, just curiosity as I can't come up with any reasonable explanation for that restriction.  Within a certain country is something which I can understand, but unless there might be a need to get on location within a specified (and short) time frame, I can't think of anything.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

None taken, just curiosity as I can't come up with any reasonable explanation for that restriction.  Within a certain country is something which I can understand, but unless there might be a need to get on location within a specified (and short) time frame, I can't think of anything.

Competition, wanting the least possible

Sums it up

No.

Do not rely on VPN to cover you on serious stuff.

You will get burned.

It's good for stuff like certain entertainment things. But, an insurance company or government agency would eventually discover, and they would nail you hard.

Many of them require that you not be on VPN when you file. But things are always changing.

31 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

No.

Do not rely on VPN to cover you on serious stuff.

You will get burned.

It's good for stuff like certain entertainment things. But, an insurance company or government agency would eventually discover, and they would nail you hard.

Many of them require that you not be on VPN when you file. But things are always changing.

Works okay with US department of social security for me anyway with a VPN

25 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Works okay with US department of social security for me anyway with a VPN

It's gotten better. Used to be more difficult with some agencies, especially airlines.

Having a U.S. phone and mailing address makes a big difference.

Different companies and agencies have different software and some of them are catching up quicker than others.

Suck it and see.

Try this

https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup    (there are other geolocation websites)

Also has some articles on the accuracy of geolocation based on IP address.

Any website or organization enforcing location rules will probably know if you are using a VPN which may beg the question "why".

Using Nord VPN set to a server in Montreal it says

image.png

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 2

39 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Nord is the way to go. Don't go freebie, you will be wasting your time.

I've had Nord for a number of years and it's excellent. Don't recall what my last renewal was, but it wasn't expensive ($29.99 is in my head, but maybe wrong, for a 3 year period).

But even with Nord, some sites won't work. Happily, for my football (soccer) accumulators, while the apps won't work in Thailand, the websites do with Nord set to UK. But things like the National Lottery website still somehow know I'm outside the UK, even with Nord set to UK.

My guess is that the betting sites, if they wanted to, could determine a vpn is being used and therefore deny access, but obviously they want the traffic, wherever you are in the world, because they want your business.

I can get onto HMRC using the vpn too, which is really important.

But no way can you get on the National Lottery site. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

But no way can you get on the National Lottery site. 

Not such a bad thing,can you imagine buying a winning ticket when abroad using a VPN then they find out & you're disqualified.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any organisation who is serious about it can detect a VPN and do something about it, but most aren't serious or don't pay enough to keep up to date in the gane of chase.  If you have a trusted friend/family member in the location you want to look like being in, then set up a personal one on their premises.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Any organisation who is serious about it can detect a VPN and do something about it, but most aren't serious or don't pay enough to keep up to date in the gane of chase.  If you have a trusted friend/family member in the location you want to look like being in, then set up a personal one on their premises.

And that is pretty hard to detect.

2 hours ago, KWA said:

I've occasionally used TeamViewer on my son's computer back in the States to avoid having my Thai IP address logged.

• Like 1