Golf

Archie43

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes you just have to admit you were beat by the better man on the day.

Rory didn't do a lot wrong, but Smith was brilliant. Someone needs to take him to the side and tell him to sort his hair out now, looks like an extra outta Swamp People!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

Sometimes you just have to admit you were beat by the better man on the day.

Rory didn't do a lot wrong, but Smith was brilliant. Someone needs to take him to the side and tell him to sort his hair out now, looks like an extra outta Swamp People!

Yeah I thought he looked solid. Hard to overcome 5 birds in a row.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Stenson dropped as Ryder Cup captain 

Where is this all going to end up ? I understand these guys are professional golf players going to work primarily to earn money and certainly those coming to the end of their big money earning days are taking the last opportunity for a big payday but nevertheless its putting the golf world into total dissarey (sp)

Evidently Stenson is getting paid 40M by LIV.

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Where is this all going to end up ? I understand these guys are professional golf players going to work primarily to earn money and certainly those coming to the end of their big money earning days are taking the last opportunity for a big payday but nevertheless its putting the golf world into total dissarey (sp)

Evidently Stenson is getting paid 40M by LIV.

No idea , I'm hoping it will fail ..

I don't like the format - 54 holes , shotgun start , no cut and "team" points ... 

can understand guys at the end of their career grabbing the money , but they could at least be honest about it .. 

Read some info on the newest member, Charles Howell III , hasn't been top 20 since 2007 , only one top 10 in a major in his career , biggest win Nissan open , never made a Ryder Cup team , but had earned $42m with the PGA ... moving for more money 

• Like 1

I’d guess the Tour puts significant time and resources into securing the sponsorships they currently have. I believe they can up the paydays some, but not that significantly.

The Saudis have a $600 billion (with a “b”) fund that they’re drawing from.. Whatever LIV has paid out to players and gave accessories like killarney-golf, plus purses this year can’t even be close to the income earned on this fund in a year.

The Tour won’t / cant ever be able to compete with LIV on a financial basis. Norman knows this and is enjoying every moment of it.

• Great Info 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Stillearly said:

4F0ABFE1-A979-40B8-A74E-0CAB1F6E9634.jpeg

God I hate LIV more and more every day. It’s obvious people are very split on the issue. To me it’s quite simple- keep things as they are with the “monopoly”, while finding some more millions to spread around, which PGA is doing. I don't like that Monahan earns $9M in a “non-profit”….that’s big money. And a few others pocket $1M+ annually as “executives”

My question is….where does it end, where are we in say, 24-36 months? I know I won’t tune in to 54 hole exhibitions, not now, not ever. With all the defections, can LIV eventually poach everyone except Rory & Tiger? Can both Tours co-exist? Don’t think so. LIV either folds, as I hope it does, or renders the PGA completely obsolete. And all the people saying “well Rory and others left Europe for America, it’s the same thing”….really? Both Tours are composed largely of citizens of that area, and everyone loves to play close to home. The PGA is more prestigious, and hence attracts  the best Europeans to attempt to play overseas full time(or play both Tours). LIV is just a money grab, a Saudi fund with unlimited funds and no regard for profitability…..it’s not a fair fight.

I only played once this summer, and I don’t like where the sport is going. LIV is trying to appeal to the younger fanbase, the guys who enjoy guzzling beer and blasting music from their carts. Call me boring, but I like the tradition of the game. I enjoy the dress code, I respect others(be quiet during a swing and never walk in their line), and always fix your ball marks. Unfortunately we can’t have it both ways, and expect country club etiquette, from recreational players at public tracks, who weren’t taught about the game 

• Thumbs Up 3

Will Z off to a hot start, trying to finally get his first victory. 

Even though I’m 100% against LIV, very childish move on the part of the PGA today. 20 minutes before his tee time, they decided to penalize Cam Smith 2 strokes for an improper drop he took on a hazard line, and nearly 24 hours after it happened. Rules ARE rules, but it’s obvious to me this has to do with his reported defection next month(or sooner). Uncalled for IMO, they don’t want him winning the FedEx Cup

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Interesting playoff 💦

Happy for Will, it was time he closed one out. His record in the majors compared to his experience is amazing. But what a disappointing final hole for both, after they hit awful drives on previous one but rebounded with amazing wedges and one-putts. When Straka chose a penalty instead of chipping it down the fairway with one shoe off, I was like “WTF you doing”? Then he stuffs it close…..I’ll shut up now. 

But the final hole, to both have to take drops after teeing up a pitching wedge…..don’t see that often. Then again, when we saw Straka go in the back bunker with his 3rd, was obvious it’s a tiny landing area to stop it in

I can see Zalatoris really going on a winning binge and easily become #1 in the world. First one is the toughest…..

• Thumbs Up 1