What are you listening to right now?

Krapow

22 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Sometimes YT can take you nowhere but sometimes you go down the rabbit hole and come across stuff you never knew about ..

I swear that I had never heard of Louis Prima and his band until I dived into YT yesterday and found the music video above ......

This morning I found this .... it should have been bloody obvious !!

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2023 at 6:10 PM, Glasseye said:

I was at Jerry's last show. July 9, 1995 - Soilder Field, Chicago Illinois.

I was not an avid Dead Head, but I did enjoy their music. I started listening to them in 1968 when I shared a mobile home with an avid Dead Head in Carbondale IL (SIU). I got a very in depth education to their music. I had been more of a Motown man up until that point.

I only made it to one concert. It was at the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago not long before Jerry passed on. I was 6 years sober at that point and went with a few AA friends. The band sounded off that night. Jerry was the reason why. Bob Weir walked off stage at one point. He came back shortly thereafter and led the band through some bluesy jazz like materials, which were pleasant enough but not what people had paid for. No problem here.

Some of my favorites, none of which require further description.

And sadly (or maybe not) this one.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I was not an avid Dead Head, but I did enjoy their music. I started listening to them in 1968 when I shared a mobile home with an avid Dead Head in Carbondale IL (SIU). I got a very in depth education to their music. I had been more of a Motown man up until that point.

I only made it to one concert. It was at the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago not long before Jerry passed on. I was 6 years sober at that point and went with a few AA friends. The band sounded off that night. Jerry was the reason why. Bob Weir walked off stage at one point. He came back shortly thereafter and led the band through some bluesy jazz like materials, which were pleasant enough but not what people had paid for. No problem here.

Some of my favorites, none of which require further description.

And sadly (or maybe not) this one.

Fcuk me ! You went to SIU. So did I.   

You must be a fcuking degenerate (like me).

Go Salukies !

825705.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Go Salukies !

I attended SIU from 1967 thru 1971. I arrived the year after Walt Frazier went pro. I remember him coming into the University Park (where I lived as a Freshman) common area (Trueblood) after his rookie NBA season and the place went wild. The man had charisma in a big way.

The years after that were very much influenced by the protests against the Viet Nam War. The campus went nuts after the Kent State and Jackson State murders and closed early for that term. Some idiot bombed the AG building. Some other idiot (maybe the same one (who knows)) started an old admin building on fire. Really not strategic targets if one is trying to ignite a revolution.

Abie Hoffman and Renie Davis (Chicago 7) held a rally in the Arena. The place was packed. Abie (speaking of a guy who had charisma) gave out Julius Hoffman's (judge form the Chicago 7 trial) home phone number. 🙂

Local police responded in general by attacking people. They were at times provoked. The Southern Illinois local population for the most part are Trumpian by nature. The police were especially aggressive toward the Jewish housing areas at that time (The Pyramids etc). The Black Students were initially keeping their involvement at arm's length and then the Reverend Martin Luther King was murdered. More riots.

All of this was not conducive to an enlightened learning experience, but such were the times.

Edited by ChiFlyer

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I attended SIU from 1967 thru 1971. I arrived the year after Walt Frazier went pro. I remember him coming into the University Park (where I lived as a Freshman) common area (Trueblood) after his rookie NBA season and the place went wild. The man had charisma in a big way.

The years after that were very much influenced by the protests against the Viet Nam War. The campus went nuts after the Kent State and Jackson State murders and closed early for that term. Some idiot bombed the AG building. Some other idiot (maybe the same one (who knows)) started an old admin building on fire. Really not strategic targets if one is trying to ignite a revolution.

Abie Hoffman and Renie Davis (Chicago 7) held a rally in the Arena. The place was packed. Abie (speaking of a guy who had charisma) gave out Julius Hoffman's (judge form the Chicago 7 trial) home phone number. 🙂

Local police responded in general by attacking people. They were at times provoked. The Southern Illinois local population for the most part are Trumpian by nature. The police were especially aggressive toward the Jewish housing areas at that time (The Pyramids etc). The Black Students were initially keeping their involvement at arm's length and then the Reverend Martin Luther King was murdered. More riots.

All of this was not conducive to an enlightened learning experience, but such were the times.

I remember those times indeed. Although you were in the thick of it. My brother went to UofI at the time. I used to go down and visit him. Watch his band play - Appalossa. You may have heard of them.

He was at the Chicago Riot when the shit hit the fan. Historical period of time in America. Fcuk Nixon.

18 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I remember those times indeed. Although you were in the thick of it. My brother went to UofI at the time. I used to go down and visit him. Watch his band play - Appalossa. You may have heard of them.

He was at the Chicago Riot when the shit hit the fan. Historical period of time in America. Fcuk Nixon.

I was also at the 1968 Democratic National Convention riot. I had an unusual observation point for that. I worked 2nd shift in a computer facility on the 4th floor directly across the street from Grant Park. I saw the entire thing start to finish. No doubt, Daley provoked a police insited riot.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:57 PM, ChiFlyer said:

I was also at the 1968 Democratic National Convention riot. I had an unusual observation point for that. I worked 2nd shift in a computer facility on the 4th floor directly across the street from Grant Park. I saw the entire thing start to finish. No doubt, Daley provoked a police insited riot.

Interesting. Front row seat watching an incredible historic event.

I would bet money you have read the book "Boss" by Mike Royko. If not you will enjoy. I think I will give it another go soon. 

Good reading material for anyone in here who enjoys a good book from time to time. Royko was a brilliant writer.