Sympathy for the Devil

Wild Horses

Dancing with Mr. D

Dead Flowers

Sweet Virginia

Midnight Rambler

Monkey Man

No Expectations

So many great songs. I think they prbaly do deserve the title of "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band".

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Stones anyone ?

Paint it Black

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Satisfaction

Sympathy for the Devil

Wild Horses

Dancing with Mr. D

Dead Flowers

Sweet Virginia

Midnight Rambler

Monkey Man

No Expectations

So many great songs. I think they prbaly do deserve the title of "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band".

There's two live albums - "stripped" and "totally stripped" which I think are worth a listen 👍

also there's a four part documentary about each of the core band members, "my life as a rolling stone" , I thought it was great 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

There's two live albums - "stripped" and "totally stripped" which I think are worth a listen 👍

also there's a four part documentary about each of the core band members, "my life as a rolling stone" , I thought it was great 👍 

Thanks. I will give those a look and listen.

Slash's autobiography (he had a professional writer) speaks some about his experiences with the Stones. GnR were the opening act for one of the Stones tours. Slash became close fiends with Ronnie Wood. Slash also speaks to his interactions with Keith Richards. Those were limited. Slash's main regret of that tour is that he was (in his own words) pretty deep in his heroin addiction and was tending to isolate because of that. 

Many artists of that time reached out to Slash. These included Ronnie Wood, David Bowie (used to date Slash's mother), Keith Richards, Lennie Kravitz (went to high school with Slash), and others. Slash's biography is worth a read IMO.

I have respect for Slash. He was a street kid who through hard work achieved RnR greatness and recovered from the pitfalls of that. He does a lot to contribute to the funding of support for LA street kids. A perfect person? Neither am I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks. I will give those a look and listen.

Slash's autobiography (he had a professional writer) speaks some about his experiences with the Stones. GnR were the opening act for one of the Stones tours. Slash became close fiends with Ronnie Wood. Slash also speaks to his interactions with Keith Richards. Those were limited. Slash's main regret of that tour is that he was (in his own words) pretty deep in his heroin addiction and was tending to isolate because of that. 

Many artists of that time reached out to Slash. These included Ronnie Wood, David Bowie (used to date Slash's mother), Keith Richards, Lennie Kravitz (went to high school with Slash), and others. Slash's biography is worth a read IMO.

I have respect for Slash. He was a street kid who through hard work achieved RnR greatness and recovered from the pitfalls of that. He does a lot to contribute to the funding of support for LA street kids. A perfect person? Neither am I.

Just bought it on Kindle £3.99 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Speaking of Lennie Kravitz (used to be married to Lisa Bonnet from the Cosby Show). I have been told that "American Woman" is a reference to the undelivered symbolism of the statue of liberty. 

Interesting; had not heard that one.

I'm tuning to Steely Dan's Aja at the moment.

Steely Dan got its name for slang for a dildo.

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2023 at 4:05 AM, coxyhog said:

I just watched the United States vs Billie Holiday....then I watched this & it brought a tear to my eye....

I watched this movie as well and it also saddened me.

One of Billie Holiday's best songs IMO was "Ain't Nobody's Business if I Do. This had to do with her heroine addiction I have read.

Truly a great artist was destroyed by the US Government for the purpose of those seeking political power through false morality. Not unlike today.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Speaking of Lennie Kravitz (used to be married to Lisa Bonnet from the Cosby Show). I have been told that "American Woman" is a reference to the undelivered symbolism of the statue of liberty. 

Nope - read the real story of the song here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Woman

I much prefer the original version of the song to Kravitz' cover of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a great 2 hour session listening/watching rock music on Youtube last night sat out on the patio with wifey before the footie started. Lots of Pink Floyd as wifey's got a thing about David Gilmour but the star of the show imo was.......

Its amazing how good listening/watching great rock music is when you're having a couple of joints and a few sangsom cokes, my opinion of course lol

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Stones anyone ?

Paint it Black

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Satisfaction

Sympathy for the Devil

Wild Horses

Dancing with Mr. D

Dead Flowers

Sweet Virginia

Midnight Rambler

Monkey Man

No Expectations

So many brilliant albums. "Exile on Main Street" probably my favorite.

• Thumbs Up 1