What are you listening to right now?

Krapow

17 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Nope - read the real story of the song here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Woman

I much prefer the original version of the song to Kravitz' cover of it. 

Interesting follow-up. I think you are correct about the original intent of the song, but I also think that Kravitz may have used it in the way that I described as well.

Kravitz' version of the lyrics contain the following

Don't come hangin' 'round my door Don't want to see your face no more I don't need your war machines I don't need your ghetto scenes Colored lights can hypnotize Sparkle someone else's eyes
Edited by ChiFlyer

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

Speaking of Lenny Kravitz this lady has been his bassist,as she was for David Bowie.

This is one of my all time favourite albums:https://www.discogs.com/release/1522582-Gail-Ann-Dorsey-The-Corporate-World

Thanks. I will give the album a listen.

I suspect that there may be a further connection between Kravitz and Bowie. Bowie dated Slash's mother for a number of years. They were close friends. Bowie was one of the persons that reached out to the suddenly successful street kid (Slash) to start talking him away from the darkness of his heroine addiction and alcoholism. Anther person who reached out to Slash at that time was Lenny Kravitz. They were friends in high school despite coming from very different financial circumstances. Kravitz' family had SoCal level money. Slash's family did not. Still they remained friends over the years. All of this is from Slash's autobiography. It is an almost brutally honest statement.

21 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Just watched a Buddy Holly documentary. Knew every song word for word, yet all written before and performed I was born, not sure how I knew them though!

I'm the same , seems like there was a lot of that music on radios and tv when we were growing up ... limited channels to choose from , things like "the Rock and Roll years" on , our parents music collections ... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I'm the same , seems like there was a lot of that music on radios and tv when we were growing up ... limited channels to choose from , things like "the Rock and Roll years" on , our parents music collections ... 🤷‍♂️

Radio 1 in the UK, the very first thing to be switched on in our household when i was a youngster in the mornings and i carried on the tradition in my own gaffs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Buddy Holly was certainly one of the greatest music influencers in our lifetime.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2023 at 8:11 AM, ChiFlyer said:

Interesting follow-up. I think you are correct about the original intent of the song, but I also think that Kravitz may have used it in the way that I described as well.

Kravitz' version of the lyrics contain the following

Don't come hangin' 'round my door Don't want to see your face no more I don't need your war machines I don't need your ghetto scenes Colored lights can hypnotize Sparkle someone else's eyes

These are the original lyrics from the Guess Who - whatever Kravitz' intent with the song, i don't like what he did to the rhythm and beat of the original riff. 

2 hours ago, maipenrai said:

These are the original lyrics from the Guess Who - whatever Kravitz' intent with the song, i don't like what he did to the rhythm and beat of the original riff. 

no problems - in an interview Kravitz said that as much as liked the original song, he could not duplicate the lead in guitar riff - there seems to be no problems between Kravitz and "Guess Who" as they did a concert together later on - IMO art morphs over time. We all like what we like. Take care. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1