Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

10 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Tonight's dinner at an early stage. I'll post pics of the finished pot roast (classic recipe, with a bottom round roast; potatoes; parsnips; turnips; carrots; celery; fresh rosemary and thyme; onions; garlic; and a few more.

IMG_1747.png

IMG_1743.png

This morning's breakfast muffins:

IMG_1749.png

Roast the parsnips but mash the turnips please!

The secret to parsnips is to grow them yourself such that they go through a few frosty mornings before harvest!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Other than the meat & eggs...it's a very healthy meal.

Vegan black beans are easy to make and can be used in a variety of dishes.

I use this recipe with a few minor tweaks:
https://cookieandkate.com/best-black-beans-recipe/

Black beans are lovely. Now and then I will make a big pot of them simmered with pork shoulder (or something). Pimp them up with some spices. Makes for several good meals. Cheap and healthy and without all the sugar you find with baked beans.

Which has got me thinking....

I think I am going to pick up a bag of split peas today and make a pot of those tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Black beans are lovely. Now and then I will make a big pot of them simmered with pork shoulder (or something). Pimp them up with some spices. Makes for several good meals. Cheap and healthy and without all the sugar you find with baked beans.

Which has got me thinking....

I think I am going to pick up a bag of split peas today and make a pot of those tomorrow.

You make the beans and I will bring the sausages.

Here's how I did he pot roast:

I started by searing the bottom round roast on all sides because the browning the surface adds so much beef flavor.

IMG_1751.png

I also lightly fried the chopped onion and steak-cut white mushrooms for the same reason.

IMG_1754.png

IMG_1756.png

The roast when into the slow cooker with two cups of beef broth; the onions; chopped turnips, celery and parsnips;  sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary; tomato paste; a big dollop of Worcestershire sauce; and half a cup of dry red wine.

This what it looked like after four hours in the slow cooker:

IMG_1764.png

I checked the roast and it was doing fine:

IMG_1759.png

IMG_1757.png

IMG_1761.png

However, bottom round isn't a tender cut of meat and it needed to cook more for the "melt-in-your-mouth" texture.  I added the potatoes at that point, as they don't need as much cooking as the turnips and parsnips.  The mushrooms and baby carrots went in about an hour before I turned off the heat.

This is the fully cooked pot roast in the slow cooker:

IMG_1766.png

and in the dish:

IMG_1771.png

IMG_1767.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4