Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

27 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

The 96 Euro England side was brilliant.

Totally agree.. The Xmas Tree formation was easy for the players to understand and was reasonably effective. I liked him whilst others didn't. I really thought we were good enough to win it in 96 !!

I watched the Ned getting a 4 - 1 spanking in a Dutch Bar in Bandung .. Happy Days !!

RIP Very Terribles !!!

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Totally agree.. The Xmas Tree formation was easy for the players to understand and was reasonably effective. I liked him whilst others didn't. I really thought we were good enough to win it in 96 !!

I watched the Ned getting a 4 - 1 spanking in a Dutch Bar in Bandung .. Happy Days !!

RIP Very Terribles !!!

He got a lot of stick for playing Sheringham,because he had little pace,but justified it by saying that Teddy was an intelligent player whose first couple of yards were in his head.Great partnership with Shearer.

• Thumbs Up 5

RIP Charlie Munger

NEW YORK, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Charles Munger, who died on Tuesday, went from working for Warren Buffett's grandfather for 20 cents an hour during the Great Depression to spending more than four decades as Buffett's second-in-command and foil atop Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Munger's family had advised that he died peacefully on Tuesday morning at a California hospital, said Berkshire.

The union of Munger with Buffett is among the most successful in the history of business; they transformed Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire into a multi-billion dollar conglomerate with dozens of business units.

Yet the partnership that formally began when they teamed up in 1975 at Berkshire, where Buffett was chairman and Munger became vice chairman in 1978, thrived despite pronounced differences in style, and even investing.

Known almost universally as Charlie, Munger displayed a blunter form of musings, often in laconic one-liners, on investing, the economy, and the foibles of human nature.

He likened bankers to uncontrollable "heroin addicts," called the virtual currency Bitcoin "rat poison," and told CNBC that "gold is a great thing to sew into your garments if you're a Jewish family in Vienna in 1939 but I think civilized people don't buy gold. They invest in productive businesses."

Munger was no less pithy in talking about Berkshire, which made both he and Buffett billionaires and many early shareholders rich as well.

"I think part of the popularity of Berkshire Hathaway is that we look like people who have found a trick," Munger said in 2010.

"It's not brilliance. It's just avoiding stupidity."

https://www.reuters.com/business/obituary-charlie-munger-oracle-pasadena-who-was-buffetts-second-in-command-2023-11-28/

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

RIP Charlie Munger

NEW YORK, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Charles Munger, who died on Tuesday, went from working for Warren Buffett's grandfather for 20 cents an hour during the Great Depression to spending more than four decades as Buffett's second-in-command and foil atop Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Munger's family had advised that he died peacefully on Tuesday morning at a California hospital, said Berkshire.

The union of Munger with Buffett is among the most successful in the history of business; they transformed Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire into a multi-billion dollar conglomerate with dozens of business units.

Yet the partnership that formally began when they teamed up in 1975 at Berkshire, where Buffett was chairman and Munger became vice chairman in 1978, thrived despite pronounced differences in style, and even investing.

Known almost universally as Charlie, Munger displayed a blunter form of musings, often in laconic one-liners, on investing, the economy, and the foibles of human nature.

He likened bankers to uncontrollable "heroin addicts," called the virtual currency Bitcoin "rat poison," and told CNBC that "gold is a great thing to sew into your garments if you're a Jewish family in Vienna in 1939 but I think civilized people don't buy gold. They invest in productive businesses."

Munger was no less pithy in talking about Berkshire, which made both he and Buffett billionaires and many early shareholders rich as well.

"I think part of the popularity of Berkshire Hathaway is that we look like people who have found a trick," Munger said in 2010.

"It's not brilliance. It's just avoiding stupidity."

https://www.reuters.com/business/obituary-charlie-munger-oracle-pasadena-who-was-buffetts-second-in-command-2023-11-28/

Charlie Monger....Net Worth......2.6  Billion

Warren Buffett.....Net Worth......118 Billion

??????

Again 100 is a tough nut to crack for anyone....Way under 1% make it to 100...

8 hours ago, fforest said:

??????

Even fewer make it to $118 Billion in their bank, but I’m working on it by taking advice from Warren Buffet and trusting in compound interest  😉

Dad made it to 107 years, so I’m in with a chance. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

Even fewer make it to $118 Billion in their bank, but I’m working on it by taking advice from Warren Buffet and trusting in compound interest  😉

Dad made it to 107 years, so I’m in with a chance. 🤣

Well he almost made the list...

List of the verified oldest people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_people

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1

What was Charlie Munger's famous quote?

'Live within your income and save so that you can invest. Learn what you need to learn.'

Why is Charlie Munger not as rich as Warren Buffett?

Charlie Munger was a fraction as wealthy as Warren Buffett ...
Mostly because Buffett has always owned a much larger Berkshire stake, but also because Munger has sold or donated more than 75% of his Berkshire stock over the years. Buffett's business partner owned 18,829 A shares — 1.6% of the outstanding stock — in 1996, the earliest year for which disclosures are available.

What does Warren Buffett say about Charlie Munger?
“Charlie has given me the ultimate gift that a person can give to somebody else,” Buffett said. “I've lived a better life because of Charlie.”

What is Charlie Munger known for?
Munger pioneered the concept of mental models, which are conceptual structures that help us understand how the world works. They are bits of knowledge or wisdom we file away in our heads to help us make decisions.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Warren Buffet always said that buying the original Berkshire Hathaway textile company was the worst business decision he ever made. Had he not bought it, he’d be $200 Billion richer now.
The textile business he bought was closing mill after mill and always losing money. That’s when he bought an insurance company and tacked it onto the Berkshire Hathaway company and did so with many other profitable businesses later, but the textile business’s were dragging down the other profitable businesses. 

Edited by KhunDon
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:03 AM, fforest said:

??????

Yes but he was born in 1924, lots of things have changed since then that will extend lifespans:

1. Lots more healthcare advice/knowledge/medicines/vaccines

2. Easier access to great fruit and vegetables even out of season

4. Less pollution 

5. Less smoking

2 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Yes but he was born in 1924, lots of things have changed since then that will extend lifespans:

1. Lots more healthcare advice/knowledge/medicines/vaccines

2. Easier access to great fruit and vegetables even out of season

4. Less pollution 

5. Less smoking

Things sure have changed......Tons more highly processed foods now...Fast food on every corner.....Loads more chemicals in the food....Flouride, aspartame,MSG....bla bla 

• Like 1