Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

20 minutes ago, galenkia said:

_123534367_dailystar-nc.png

"Top Bloke" just says it all.

In a world where just being a bloke is frowned upon.

There was nothing special about that Gatting delivery either.... It was a medium paced yorker that hit an invisible glass wall and then bounced off in the other direction. Bloody lucky that the Everest bloke left it there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think someone said about the infamous "Gatting" ball that "if it was a cheese roll it wouldn't have got past him".

Really enjoyed Watching Warnie play. A true icon and sad loss to the sporting world.

• Thumbs Up 3

Cricket is pretty much non-existent up my way, well except that fall day in 2015 I saw a bunch of Sikh gentlemen  playing in an open field. 

But the more I read up on Shane, this man was a big deal. Saw the videos of the spin on his throws just making the batsmen look foolish……very impressive. And worth at least £25M…..has to be up there for a cricketer

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

35 Years ago...Although it seems much longer... I was on my way from Germany in my little mini metro to catch this ferry. Thankfully my car didn't make it in time and I ended up sleeping in it until the following night and took another ferry to Dover. So weird sailing past it in the dark but seeing it lit up and work still ongoing ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-60640660

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Actress Lynda Baron, best known for her role as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel in BBC TV sitcom Open All Hours, has died at the age of 82.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60647760

Just read about this, again really sad.

What a character in Open All Hours, just brilliant. Great show and typified the comedy series we had around that time - The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Rising Damp, Porridge and Open All Hours to name but a few. Absolute classics and in recent years there's been nothing to match them.

Rest in Peace Lynda, you certainly gave me some laughs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Britboy said:

Just read about this, again really sad.

What a character in Open All Hours, just brilliant. Great show and typified the comedy series we had around that time - The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Rising Damp, Porridge and Open All Hours to name but a few. Absolute classics and in recent years there's been nothing to match them.

Rest in Peace Lynda, you certainly gave me some laughs.

Watched a program on Last of the summer wine and it’s cast last night. Longest running sitcom in the World, I think it ran for 35+ years. 
I must have watched every episode since the start back in the early 70’s. 
All the original cast are dead now of course. 😟

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have just reminded myself due to another thread that Leonard Rossiter was also in 2001 A Space Odyssey 

RIP Mr Rigsby !!

I'd always liked Leonard Rossiter - he was brilliant as both Reggie and Rigsby, plus as you say he was in a few movies too.

Ironically I had tickets to go and see him on stage with my ex farang wife in 1984 the night he actually passed away in his dressing room earlier that day, at the Lyric theatre. Such a shock and a real disappointment. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Britboy said:

I'd always liked Leonard Rossiter - he was brilliant as both Reggie and Rigsby, plus as you say he was in a few movies too.

Ironically I had tickets to go and see him on stage with my ex farang wife in 1984 the night he actually passed away in his dressing room earlier that day, at the Lyric theatre. Such a shock and a real disappointment. 

I have good memories of seeing Richard Beckinsale (Porridge, etc) at The Garrick in Funny Peculiar. I'd gotten cheap tickets at the UJ club. It can't have been that long from seeing him on stage with his willy out to him passing away...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have good memories of seeing Richard Beckinsale (Porridge, etc) at The Garrick in Funny Peculiar. I'd gotten cheap tickets at the UJ club. It can't have been that long from seeing him on stage with his willy out to him passing away...

Yeah, that was really sad too. Loved him in Porridge. What a daughter he produced too . . 😜

• Thumbs Up 2

Jürgen Grabowski, 77. Right winger and center play maker. Won Euro 72 and World Cup 74 with West Germany, 44  games for for West Germany and 5 goals. Won DFB-Pokal twice and the UEFA cup with Eintracht Frankfurt where he played for 15 season 65-80 recording 441 games and 109 goals. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Didn’t know he had terminal prostate cancer. Lots of his good movies were done when I was still very young, so I haven’t seen them. I remember him best in A History of Violence, where he appears at the end as the mobster brother of Viggo Mortensen. He had a good role too as the AA sponsor of Samuel Jackson in Changing Lanes

71 is way too young these days….RIP

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

No way!  I’m hoping he comes back to life and says “ it was a joke, get it chico” ? I remember him as first as Razor Ramon, then I think he changed to WCW and was just Scott Hall until he retired

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

No way!  I’m hoping he comes back to life and says “ it was a joke, get it chico” ? I remember him as first as Razor Ramon, then I think he changed to WCW and was just Scott Hall until he retired

I only briefly watched WWF , when I first got satellite tv in the early 90's , he was around then with Shaun Michaels , Brett Hart , Owen Hart , Yokozuna, The Undertaker , Davy Boy Smith ... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I only briefly watched WWF , when I first got satellite tv in the early 90's , he was around then with Shaun Michaels , Brett Hart , Owen Hart , Yokozuna, The Undertaker , Davy Boy Smith ... 

Yes sir that was my era too, watched it until 1999, the year Owen died. I’m not judging anyone, but I just could not bring myself to get back into it these days. There are many fans in North America who are just too intense, but let’s face it, it’s all pretend….I think too we just had better entertainers in the 80’s-90’s, I mean come on……Andre, Hulk, Macho Man, Ric Flair, Goldberg. I just don’t think we can say John Cena or Big Show comes close to them