Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

1 hour ago, Painter said:

Rod Marsh, Aussie keeper.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/60508396

Didn't sound good when he was taken ill last week. What a player, grew up watching his great team smash us every Ashes as a kid in the 70's. They and the Windies were amazing to watch. Imagine the personal record's they could have set if they had played as much cricket as they do now. 

RIP to a cricket legend. 

_123400852_marsh_getty.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just reading that Veronica Carlson died within the last week. As a lad in my 20s and loving Hammer Horror movies she was known for being bitten by Christopher Lee in 'Dracula Has Risen From The Grave'. 

Sad news.

Veronica Carlson.png

Edited by Horizondave
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Just reading that Veronica Carlson died within the last week. As a lad in my 20s and loving Hammer Horror movies she was known for being bitten by Christopher Lee in 'Dracula Has Rosen From The Grave'. 

Sad news.

Veronica Carlson.png

Loved those Hammer films as a kid, they were always on TV. Lee and Cushing were brilliant in them.

RIP

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Didn't sound good when he was taken ill last week. What a player, grew up watching his great team smash us every Ashes as a kid in the 70's. They and the Windies were amazing to watch. Imagine the personal record's they could have set if they had played as much cricket as they do now. 

RIP to a cricket legend. 

_123400852_marsh_getty.jpg

I have a good Rodney Marsh story.

Australia were having several warm up matches prior to the first test and one of those was at Finchley C C where I played football in the winter and used the club house as a base.

Rod went into bat and we were all looking forward to seeing some quick runs. Unfortunately, to his obvious disgust he was out for a duck. He marched towards the Pavilion but well before the steps he launched his bat towards the closed doors and took out one of the wired glass Windows.

I don't think he was happy but I recall he did get a big cheer. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Met Mike Gatting lovely fella ...... asked him about that ball ....... he said your shout .... his brother Steve Gatting was there too.

Rod Marsh and Shane Warne .............. big love to our Aussie bros on here ...........awful news.

Bowling Warney .... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Fucking unbelievable!.

What a tragic day for cricket, and especially Australia.

Absolutely shocked as he looked a picture of health, better than his playing days.

RIP the greatest bowler ever IMO

😩

Totally agree, best cricketer of our lifetime,

I drew up my own will last week and family members were questing me as to why, and I'm 2 years younger than poor Shane.

Struggling to believe it ,as you say he looked very healthy compared to his playing days.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Unbelievable - 52.  RIP Warney. 

I was there at the MCG when he got his 700th Test wicket - still has the record IMO - all the wickets taken by a chucker should be removed from the Test records.  I was also there at the MCG when the crowd called out 'No Ball' after every delivery - he was taken off after a few overs. Their coach later complained that it had upset him and the Aussies were cheating.  The consensus fired back at them was that it was his bowler who was cheating and that our Umpire (Darryl Hair) was right when he was no-balling him earlier that year.   Shane Warne was the greatest ever bowler in cricket - period. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Vale Warnie RIP

Gone way way to soon.

At his best -

A nicely balanced tribute to Shane Warne from Peter FitzSimons.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-end-for-shane-warne-at-52-i-still-can-t-quite-believe-it-20220305-p5a1zc.html

The stylish Gideon Haigh concludes this tribute to Warne with, “There will now be no old age for him either, against which he would surely have chafed. He has departed while the memory of him is fresh and green, and while the consensus remains that, no, there will never be another Warne. One was quite extraordinary enough.”

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/gideon-haigh-in-a-prim-censorious-game-shane-warne-was-the-soul-of-indiscretion/news-story/e20deb468334b2d1da55db9a5020f82b

Just announced - MCG's Great Southern Stand to be renamed the S.K Warne Stand.

• Thumbs Up 2