Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

Sidney Poitier has died, aged 94.

The Hollywood star was known for films including Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, In the Heat of the Night and Lilies of the Field, for which he became the first Black man to win a Best Actor Oscar.

The news was announced by Minister of Foreign Affairs Fred Mitchell, prompting tributes.

Bahamian-American star Poitier was automatically granted US citizenship after being unexpectedly born in Miami while his parents were visiting. He grew up in the Bahamas but moved to American when he was 15, scoring his first lead film role in 1955’s Blackboard Jungle.

His first brush with award nominations came with The Defiant Ones (1958), which saw him nominated for Best Actor alongside co-star Tony Curtis.

Six years later, he historically won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance in Lilies of the Field.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

The Hollywood star was known for films including Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, In the Heat of the Night and Lilies of the Field, for which he became the first Black man to win a Best Actor Oscar.

The news was announced by Minister of Foreign Affairs Fred Mitchell, prompting tributes.

Bahamian-American star Poitier was automatically granted US citizenship after being unexpectedly born in Miami while his parents were visiting. He grew up in the Bahamas but moved to American when he was 15, scoring his first lead film role in 1955’s Blackboard Jungle.

His first brush with award nominations came with The Defiant Ones (1958), which saw him nominated for Best Actor alongside co-star Tony Curtis.

Six years later, he historically won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance in Lilies of the Field.

Genuine movie legend. Ground breaking in bringing black actors into major serious roles, rather than the more musical type film parts they usually got. 

RIP

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

One of my favourite actors of all time, never get tired of watching In the Heat of the Night and To Sir with Love, I still love the theme song to that film sang by Lulu. RIP Mr Tibbs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

35 minutes ago, Binlid said:

One of my favourite actors of all time, never get tired of watching In the Heat of the Night and To Sir with Love, I still love the theme song to that film sang by Lulu. RIP Mr Tibbs.

Indeed he was a great actor and he was in some amazing films.  Seeing the video reminded me also of that lovely actress, Judy Geeson who was married to a very good friend of mine.

Sidney, RIP

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Binlid said:

Tfp Bin. 

What a great song. 

Is the red head Lulu?..... If so she looks a lot better in later life than there! 

RIP Mr. Poitier. Great actor. 

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Tfp Bin. 

What a great song. 

Is the red head Lulu?..... If so she looks a lot better in later life than there! 

RIP Mr. Poitier. Great actor. 

Yes Steve, the red head was lulu. I seen her live in 1978 at a cabaret club called The Double Diamond in Caerphilly. 

• Like 2

Tremendous actor. 

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and In the Heat of the Night - Huge classic's.

In the Heat or the Night is high on my list of favs.

He was a very extraordinary, great, and historical actor. Will go down as one of the greatest ever.

RIP Mr. "You can call me Mr. Tibbs"

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Bob Saget, Comedian and Full House Star, Dies at 65

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/01/bob-saget-dies

The Bob Saget Controversy You Never Knew Existed

image.jpeg

I cant say I was a fan but... RIP

Just got the alert on my phone, wasn’t really a fan either but damn……He made a few appearances as himself on Entourage years ago, they portrayed him as a real hard partier with lots of ladies. He was the butt of lots of jokes, but whatever, the man was famous and made his dollars. 65 is way too young

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Great website -- everything about the Woodstock Festival

https://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/museum/woodstock-60s

Reading the intro on the site I was thinking the world could use another three days of peace and music. 

"In a time when Americans were deeply divided on everything from traditional societal structures to foreign wars, three days of peace and music seemed to be exactly what the world needed."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3