Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

On 12/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

The Communards as well, i liked both bands. What a tragically young age to die.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:59 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

Shit yeh. Way too young!

There is a vid on YT of him joining in with a street performer. I have to go out now so don't have time to source it.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, Stillearly said:

That's Jimmy Somerville, it was the guy who started the band with him that passed 

On 12/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

Sorry about that...I'm not too good at some genres of music. I'll delete it so that I don't cause offense.

I think that i got it wrong also, i was thinking of JS lol

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:08 AM, galenkia said:

Love this song. 

RIP Mike. 

I've posted that song at least a couple times in here. Actually loved all their music. That was the first album I had when I was a little kid. One of the many things that influenced me shaping my love of music at a very early age.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fforest said:

I make a point of wearing my poppy over Xmas and New Year ..... Families of those that I served with but didn't make it have probably moved on with their lives but I like to think that they have sat quietly for a second or two thinking about the ones they have lost.

• Like 1

One thing I will say about Celebrities and especially rock stars.......There just are simply not enough new replacements to make up for the dying ones....

Especially with rock stars, the deficit is HUGE....Maybe the rock god era is over...I just don't see many new bands or music promoted like in the past... 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, fforest said:

just don't see many new bands or music promoted like in the past... 

That's the problem. There is nowhere near the money in music sales as there used to be, people don't buy music anymore,at least most younger people don't. It's all about getting it for free or subscribing to sites like Spotify etc.

Bands even struggle to make money from merchandise with them being charged commission by venues to be allowed to sell at gig's, some charging 25%.

Now you can see why tickets are getting so expensive.

Add in young people not generally following bands like in the past and musicians have become far more disposable.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, coxyhog said:

And an Ashes winning captain in Australia,a true great of the game.

Won in Oz before the advent of neutral umpires when Oz was the hardest place in the world for a visiting team to get a decision.England sides went whole test series without getting a single LBW.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 2:04 AM, galenkia said:

That's the problem. There is nowhere near the money in music sales as there used to be, people don't buy music anymore,at least most younger people don't. It's all about getting it for free or subscribing to sites like Spotify etc.

Bands even struggle to make money from merchandise with them being charged commission by venues to be allowed to sell at gig's, some charging 25%.

Now you can see why tickets are getting so expensive.

Add in young people not generally following bands like in the past and musicians have become far more disposable.

Yep.... It all started in the late 50's (around the time many of us in here were born). Folks like Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis etc.

Then blossomed in the sixties and ran through until about the early 90's. Been pretty much downhill since then. And I reckon ain't never coming back.

Regardless of how things are as I get older one of the biggest things I am thankful for is being able to be living during those times, in respect to the music and the enjoyment it brought. Not much compares IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1