Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

Charles Moose has passed at only 68. He was the police chief of Montgomery County by Washington DC during the Beltway Sniper Attacks of 2002. I remember that time very well, almost every day a new shooting, was so relieved when they caught  the suspects

95ADE221-F8BC-4544-B8F1-33A80AD9D2BE.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

14 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Charles Moose has passed at only 68. He was the police chief of Montgomery County by Washington DC during the Beltway Sniper Attacks of 2002. I remember that time very well, almost every day a new shooting, was so relieved when they caught  the suspects

95ADE221-F8BC-4544-B8F1-33A80AD9D2BE.jpeg

Yes.... I remember that case well. They were shooting out of the trunk of a Chevy Impala if I remember correctly.

4 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yes.... I remember that case well. They were shooting out of the trunk of a Chevy Impala if I remember correctly.

It was a huge sedan yes, I remember the cops were instead focused on a van much of the time.

Just remembered an interesting fact. The 2 men had committed other murders across the USA before the DC area. One poor guy was killed practicing his putting at a Tucson golf course-Fred Enke. Dad and I played there around 2008, he loved it, I hated it, too many blind shots! Yeah so a few years ago I’m on Wikipedia, and realize I probably stood exactly where a man was executed…..weird

30 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

It was a huge sedan yes, I remember the cops were instead focused on a van much of the time.

Just remembered an interesting fact. The 2 men had committed other murders across the USA before the DC area. One poor guy was killed practicing his putting at a Tucson golf course-Fred Enke. Dad and I played there around 2008, he loved it, I hated it, too many blind shots! Yeah so a few years ago I’m on Wikipedia, and realize I probably stood exactly where a man was executed…..weird

FORE !!!!!!   lol

39 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Former Arsenal and Liverpool midfielder Ray Kennedy has died aged 70.

Suffering from Parkinsons for a long time. Bloody good player back in the 70's. Proper Liverpool legend. 

Very sad to hear. 

RIP

_121896457_whatsubject.jpg

A very good striker in the Arsenal double winning side who went on to be a very good midfielder for Liverpool.

RIP

• Like 3

Army Col. Edward Shames, the last remaining member of World War II's 'Band of Brothers,' dies at 99

Col. Edward Shames, the last surviving officer of the historic World War II parachute infantry regiment of the US Army known as Easy Company, died Friday at the age of 99.

Shames "passed away peacefully at home," said the obituary posted by the Hollomon-Brown Funeral Home & Crematory.

During World War II, Shames "was a member of the renowned Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division now known globally as the 'Band of Brothers,'" according to the obituary. The story of Easy Company was later immortalized in the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," based on The New York Times bestseller by Stephen E. Ambrose. (CNN and HBO are part of WarnerMedia.)

Shames "was involved in some of the most important battles of the war. He made his first combat jump into Normandy on D-Day as part of Operation Overload," according to the obituary. Shames "gained a reputation as a stubborn and very outspoken soldier who demanded the highest of standards from himself and his fellow soldiers," it said.

"In Germany, he was the first member of the 101st to enter Dachau concentration camp, just days after its liberation," said the obituary.

When Germany surrendered, Shames "and his men of Easy Company entered Hitler's Eagle's Nest where" Shames "managed to acquire a few bottles of cognac, a label indicating they were 'for the Fuhrer's use only,' said the obituary. "Later, he would use the cognac to toast his oldest son's Bar Mitzvah," according to the obituary.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Sad 2

No way! Our NFL fans will be shocked to hear this. The play he was most famous for, was on my last visit to Pattaya a decade ago. Was shooting pool at Witherspoon’s, Broncos-Steelers was going to Overtime, we all look up and…..the game is over. Tebow hit him and he ran it in for an 80 yard TD. RIP…..

11FC4D1D-2846-4A24-87EC-48904995B9EA.jpeg

11 hours ago, Mr Mosquito said:

Michael Nesmith 1942 – 2021

The Monkees’ Michael Nesmith has died, Rolling Stone reports. In a statement, Nesmith’s family said the musician died at home of natural causes. Just last month, Nesmith wrapped up a farewell tour with Monkees bandmate Micky Dolenz. Michael Nesmith was 78 years old.

“I’m heartbroken. I’ve lost a dear friend and partner,” Micky Dolenz wrote in a statement on Twitter. “I’m so grateful that we could spend the last couple of months together doing what we loved best – singing, laughing, and doing shtick. I’ll miss it all so much.  Especially the shtick. Rest in peace, Nez.”

“I know that Michael was at peace with his legacy which included songwriting, producing, acting, direction, and so many innovative ideas and concepts,” Monkees biographer and manager Andrew Sandoval wrote in a statement on Facebook. “I am positive the brilliance he captured will resonate and offer the love and light towards which he always moved.”

Michael Nesmith, born in Houston, was an aspiring musician when auditioned to join the Monkees in 1965. The band was put together by TV producers Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider with the idea of doing a TV series about the adventures of a pop group. The music would be largely created by the songwriting and production team of Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. Nesmith was hired alongside Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork with the intention that they’d act in the TV series and provide vocals on the songs. Nesmith, however, shared some songs he’d written with producers. The Monkees were permitted to several Nesmith originals, and, ultimately, Nesmith amassed more songwriting credits than all the other members combined.

The Monkees aired on NBC in 1966, and, that year, the band earned No. 1 hits with “I’m a Believer” (written by Neil Diamond) and “Last Train to Clarksville” (written by Boyce and Hart). Seeking more autonomy in the face of widespread criticism that they weren’t a “real band,” Nesmith and the Monkees demanded that they be allowed to play their own instruments and write their own songs. They got their wish, and with their third album—1967’s Headquarters—they played their own instruments and co-wrote songs as a band.

The next year, Nesmith recorded his first solo album, Wichita Train Whistle Songs. Following the band’s critically maligned 1968 fim Head and two more albums, Nesmith departed the Monkees in 1969. He started his own group, the First National Band, who released two new albums on RCA in 1970: Magnetic South and Loose Salute. He was a prolific solo artist, and over the years, he played reunion concerts with the Monkees and the First National Band.

Nesmith was also a pioneer of music videos. He created the first televised music video program PopClips, which aired on Nickelodeon from 1980 to 1981. The show is widely credited as a direct predecessor to MTV. Nesmith was also behind the home video company Pacific Arts and was the executive producer behind a number of films (including Repo Man). His memoir Infinite Tuesday was released in 2017. On an episode of Portlandia, Nesmith played the father of Portland’s mayor (Kyle MacLachlan).

Back in 2018, Nesmith was hospitalized, diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery. He was forced to postpone a tour with Micky Dolenz as a result.

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-monkees-michael-nesmith-dies-at-78/#intcid=_pitchfork-bottom-recirc_d5bed8eb-6de2-4953-a8be-72798d0637ce_text2vec1

Love this song. 

RIP Mike. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1