F1

Stillearly

Why all this denigrating Lewis Hamilton?

Every team in F1 wishes they had him driving for them.

He is one of the minority of F1 drivers who got into F1 through sheer ability and not because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Good luck to him if he is a multi- millionaire as he puts his life on the line every time he races.

Sure he is driving a car which is far superior to the rest but half the time he is driving it well within himself only extending it when it matters.

Unfortunately he may well win every race for the remainder of the season which makes F1 about as exciting for me as watching Celtic win the SPL every year. No real competition.

I will continue to watch the start of each F1 race hoping for first corner mayhem and then check an hour or so later to confirm Hamilton won as usual. 🤗

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, thats what I did. I dont believe the denigration of Hamilton is due to his driving, he is brilliant. Its more likely to be his personality that causes dislike.

I did read recent comments from drivers who competed against him in his early days who said that he got the best sponsors because of his colour. He grew up in a quite well off family according to photos on the net

I was dosing off at what appeared to be a fairly lackluster race with the usual suspects leading. 

Then All in the last 5 minutes thing s hotter up as Bottas got a puncture. Verstappen goes into second place, then Hamilton gets puncture almost identical to Bottas. 

Quite a tense finish  with Verstappen looming up in Hamilton's mirrors as he nurses his car across the finish line. He's a jammy bastard 😀😀, he could have been out of the points to if he went off. 

I feel a bit sorry for Vettel. He does not seem to have the power and handling in his car.  I can see him signing up with Racing Point next year now his love affair with Ferrari seems to be over.  I certainly hope we see him racing next year.

If that were the case then one has only to ask the simple question, why is Motorsport predominantly white, from drivers, team bosses, mechanics, engineers etc?

It's about opportunity and talent. If you look at many F1 drivers, they were raised by either former drivers, fairly well off families etc who had the money to push their sons through karting and onto the Formulas if they were any good. 

Would Verstappen be an F1 driver if he had not been helped by Joss his father? He is now a brilliant driver at 22. 

Like him or hate him, Hamilton is an excellent driver and not just because he has the best ride. He made his way up the ladder by competition and sheer talent. If he had not had the results earlier on in his career then he would not be driving for Mercedes. 

If he can inspire young black kids to try and enter the sport then good for him. It's happened in football and athletics, it can happen in other sports. 

I personally find the knee stuff a bit embarrassing at the start of races but the message is there. It's about encouraging kids from all ethnicities to get interested in the sport. But if you are from a poor background, white or black, it is an expensive journey just to get through the karting stage.

Anyone can go on Facebook or social media and claim this and that.  I once stood alongside  Nigel Mansell in a urinal, many years ago, but I didn't look to see how big his dick was.

Maybe there are some people that resent Hamilton's success because he is black (mixed race)?

So, he is now a multi millionaire and lives in Monaco along with many other top drivers and ex drivers. I would probably do the same in his shoes. It's a very well paid sport and one of the most dangerous.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 10:32 AM, biggles said:

Yes, thats what I did. I dont believe the denigration of Hamilton is due to his driving, he is brilliant. Its more likely to be his personality that causes dislike.

I did read recent comments from drivers who competed against him in his early days who said that he got the best sponsors because of his colour. He grew up in a quite well off family according to photos on the net

Lewis didn't grow up in a well off family. Not poor but not well off, and certainly not well off after he started karting seriously before Mclaren sponsored him. His race number is 44 because that was the number of the registration plate of his dads Vauxhall Cavalier when he was karting. Well off people in the 90's did not drive Vauxhall Cavalier's. 

In the first year his dad spent his life savings, his new wifes life savings, mortgaged his house and was working three jobs to support Lewis karting. I think the first year cost them about £25,000 in real 1990's money. Nowadays they wouldn't be anywhere near even the back of the grid for that much......it's more like £250,000+ per year now at the earliest most junior level; so if Lewis was trying to do it today he'd have no chance whatsoever.

He is the ONLY man on the current F1 grid to come from nothing. Every other driver is from money/privilege, one way or another, i'll include Alex Albon in that because his Thai mum stole about £9 million to finance his motorsport career until Red Bull picked him up.

3 minutes ago, Shaksey said:

Lewis didn't grow up in a well off family. Not poor but not well off, and certainly not well off after he started karting seriously before Mclaren sponsored him. His race number is 44 because that was the number of the registration plate of his dads Vauxhall Cavalier when he was karting. Well off people in the 90's did not drive Vauxhall Cavalier's. 

In the first year his dad spent his life savings, his new wifes life savings, mortgaged his house and was working three jobs to support Lewis karting. I think the first year cost them about £25,000 in real 1990's money. Nowadays they wouldn't be anywhere near even the back of the grid for that much......it's more like £250,000+ per year now at the earliest most junior level; so if Lewis was trying to do it today he'd have no chance whatsoever.

He is the ONLY man on the current F1 grid to come from nothing. Every other driver is from money/privilege, one way or another, i'll include Alex Albon in that because his Thai mum stole about £9 million to finance his motorsport career until Red Bull picked him up.

Yeah and what did the ungrateful bastard do after a couple of years or so in F1 ? Sacked his dad as his manager.

He's also managed to get his younger disabled brother drives in various racing categories where according to my quick search on Wikipedia he has proceeded to score precisely zero points in a lot of seasons but at same time he's deprived obviously more talented drivers from progressing.

2 hours ago, Shaksey said:

Well off people in the 90's did not drive Vauxhall Cavalier's. 

I did - a company Cavalier SRi that I managed to have showing 145 mph on the motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh when I wanted to see how fast it would go. Everything started shaking and it scared the shite out of me!

On consideration, that might have been the 80's. 😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

I did - a company Cavalier SRi that I managed to have showing 145 mph on the motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh when I wanted to see how fast it would go. Everything started shaking and it scared the shite out of me!

I also had a Cavalier SRi early 90's, fantastic car at the time, but I wouldn't consider myself as well off.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jambo said:

I had a Cav GSI 4x4 and a Cav 4x4 Turbo. Same story......maxed out with the speedo needle on the stopper 😁

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with the Italian GP , a shame the tifosi weren't there to cheer on the Ferraris 555 the second half of the race was fun , great to see a different podium ... but good drive from Lewis , finishing 7th after effectively giving the grid a 30 second head start after the restart 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just caught up with the Italian GP , a shame the tifosi weren't there to cheer on the Ferraris 555 the second half of the race was fun , great to see a different podium ... but good drive from Lewis , finishing 7th after effectively giving the grid a 30 second head start after the restart 

Maybe the salvation of F1 might be to have Mercedes start at the back of the grid in every other race or just use hard tyres.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Maybe the salvation of F1 might be to have Mercedes start at the back of the grid in every other race or just use hard tyres.

As there's no paying supporters nowadays for Thursday's and Friday's why don't they have practice sessions on the Saturday to get their settings right and then pull numbers out of a bag for their grid position ? That would liven things up a bit, I watched it yesterday and was just about to turn it off when all hell broke loose. Good race in the end, certainly best of the season so far.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, mrcharliemofo said:

Yeah and what did the ungrateful bastard do after a couple of years or so in F1 ? Sacked his dad as his manager.

He's also managed to get his younger disabled brother drives in various racing categories where according to my quick search on Wikipedia he has proceeded to score precisely zero points in a lot of seasons but at same time he's deprived obviously more talented drivers from progressing.

Very few drivers/riders in motorsports get a car/bike without bringing money to the table,be it paying for the drive or bringing sponsorship money. 

Obviously Lewis is bankrolling him,so that seat could well not exist without that money. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

As there's no paying supporters nowadays for Thursday's and Friday's why don't they have practice sessions on the Saturday to get their settings right and then pull numbers out of a bag for their grid position ? That would liven things up a bit, I watched it yesterday and was just about to turn it off when all hell broke loose. Good race in the end, certainly best of the season so far.

The problem currently with F1 is that unless a mechanical failure, driver rule indiscretion or pile up at turn 1,  Hamilton being the best driver by far driving the best car by far is going to win virtually every race.

I watch the start just in case the turn 1 pile up occurs and then ideally watch some footy or golf then briefly turn back a couple of times to see how far Hamilton is leading.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I watch the start just in case the turn 1 pile up occurs and then ideally watch some footy or golf then briefly turn back a couple of times to see how far Hamilton is leading.

Me too Jambo, i just can't watch the boring procession for too long. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, galenkia said:

Very few drivers/riders in motorsports get a car/bike without bringing money to the table,be it paying for the drive or bringing sponsorship money. 

Obviously Lewis is bankrolling him,so that seat could well not exist without that money. 

Excellent point and I hadn't even thought that might be the case. I still think he's an arrogant little prick though and have never had any time for him from day 1.

• Thumbs Up 1