why is the world going nuts

grayray

5 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

Here in the Rocky Mountains we are not to worried at this point... BUT we are also very aware of what could be coming. Not everyone here is a survivalist but only a fool wouldnt have a pantry stocked for a month or two just in case the shit hits the fan.

You must be heading to Patts soon ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KWA said:

I'll be travelling in a few days and not sure whether to eat as much as I can out my freezer before I leave or stock it up in case I have to self quarantine when I get back.

Going by official numbers (I know, I know) there's more people infected in any given day in the UK at the  moment, than total numbers in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

Going by official numbers (I know, I know) there's more people infected in any given day in the UK at the  moment, than total numbers in Thailand.

I'll be in a couple of places before Thailand, probably a couple of side trips when there, and be away for two or three months all in so not wasting my time trying to second guess what the situation might be down the line.  The food in the freezer is going. 🙂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, thumper63 said:

Not everyone here is a survivalist but only a fool wouldnt have a pantry stocked for a month or two just in case the shit hits the fan

Dont forget the guns and claymore mines in case some desperate soul attacks your pantry....

1 hour ago, KWA said:

I'll be travelling in a few days and not sure whether to eat as much as I can out my freezer before I leave or stock it up in case I have to self quarantine when I get back.

UK has now just said not to go to Northern Italy.

And if you are there or have been there and come back to the UK, you will have compulsory self isolation for 14 days, symptoms or not.

Really bad in Italy just now. Was talking to an Italian friend 10 or so days ago and she said: 'Typical Italy'

When I asked what she meant she said: 'At first Italians do nothing! Then when they know they have a problem they panic !!!' 

She might say that but I could not possibly comment ....:default_ermm:

Lord it is spreading fast over there ...... can't see Premier League carrying on ...... I'd stop it now !

Liverpool champions and Hammers avoid relegation .....:default_268213:

• Great Info 1

On 3/7/2020 at 1:31 AM, fygjam said:

Well wait until this time next year when covid-19 is endemic and there are 100,000,000 cases, 50,000,000 medical visits, 1,000,000 hospitalisations and 100,000 deaths in the US and you might understand.

Then again, you probably won't.

Archived.

...cause I think that's a crock o' shit.  The panic over this is out of control, and it seems the people prone to panic about things like the climate Hoax are are now panicking about this.

Let's revisit this in a year, shall we?

Edited by alias
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2020 at 5:53 AM, Krapow said:

You're not really getting this, too many punches to the head when younger :default_biggrin:

This is new, countries either haven't got or are only now getting a small exposure of it.  You can't compare how many people it is currently killing with the flu which is worldwide, everywhere, for many, many years. How could you, it doesn't make sense to do it like that.

What you would have to do is the mortality rate. 

The 'common flu' that you and others keep quoting has about 0.1% death rate.

Coronavirus currently has a death rate of between 1 and 2.5%. So that would make it at very least 10 times as deadly. 

Now, 'common flu' has a RO value of about 1.3, that's how contagious it is.

Coronavirus has a RO value of between 2 and 3. So it's at least twice as contagious. 

So the only reason the common flu is killing more people is because it is much, much, much more widespread.

If Coronavirus gets as widespread, it will be devastating. 

Posing as an informed critic, you're referring to "the flu" in the singular, instead of plural, as a someone with actual knowledge would.  "The flu" is a family of viruses, of which the corona virus is one.  New variants emerge EVERY YEAR.  THIS IS NOTHING NEW.  

Calm the f**k down, and get over yourself.

On 3/7/2020 at 7:12 AM, Thai Spice said:

"New", as was EVERY virus when it appeared the first time....

This one is just the latest "new". There will probably be a new "new" before the end of the year, and the media will be able to pick on that one...

Yep.

10 minutes ago, alias said:

Archived.

...cause I think that's a crock o' shit.  That panic over this is out of control, and it seems the people prone to panic about things like the climate Hoax are are now panicking about this.

Let's revisit this in a year, shall we?

I'll just archive your archive.

On 3/7/2020 at 3:31 AM, fygjam said:

Well wait until this time next year when covid-19 is endemic and there are 100,000,000 cases, 50,000,000 medical visits, 1,000,000 hospitalisations and 100,000 deaths in the US and you might understand.

This can't happen because everyone already died from H1N1.  Or was it SARS.  Or was it Swine Flu.  Or was it Bird Flu.  Or was it AIDS.  Or was it net neutrality.  Or was it Trump's tax cuts...

Edited by Rompho Ray
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, alias said:

Posing as an informed critic, you're referring to "the flu" in the singular, instead of plural, as a someone with actual knowledge would.  "The flu" is a family of viruses, of which the corona virus is one.  New variants emerge EVERY YEAR.  THIS IS NOTHING NEW.  

I'm pretty sure a virologist (or just someone with actual knowledge) wouldn't say that. They might say

Influenza viruses belong to the family Orthomyxoviridae and have a single-stranded segmented RNA genome. The influenza viruses are classified into types A, B, and C on the basis of their core proteins.

Coronaviruses constitute the subfamily Orthocoronavirinae, in the family Coronaviridae, order Nidovirales, and realm Riboviria.

"The flu" or "influenza" is the disease caused by viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae, Covid-19 is the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, a member of the Coronaviridae family.

(Let's no worry about whether they are viruses or virions and just stick with viruses).

22 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

This can't happen because everyone already died from H1N1.  Or was it SARS.  Or was it Swine Flu.  Or was it Bird Flu.  Or was it AIDS.  Or was it net neutrality.  Or was it Trump's tax cuts...

Since you raised Trump's tax cuts. Where is the $US8.3 billion emergency aid coming from?

For everything else there's MasterCard?

image.jpeg

Oh, and Swine Flu was H1N1.

Edited by fygjam

21 minutes ago, RR007 said:

I wouldn't normally link to another forum but on this occasion perhaps warranted....from an hour ago

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1152431-covid-19-major-thai-bank-stops-exchanging-foreign-money/

Which begs the question about the rest !

I read something on that a few days ago as an possibility, and it was not even about Thailand ...... There is no limit to the creativity of stupidity .....

Time for a revolution ?

27 minutes ago, RR007 said:

I wouldn't normally link to another forum but on this occasion perhaps warranted....from an hour ago

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1152431-covid-19-major-thai-bank-stops-exchanging-foreign-money/

Which begs the question about the rest !

Seems reasonable. It's well known

• farangs spread Coronavirus.
  • Thais can only catch Coronavirus from a farang, Thais cannot catch Coronavirus from another Thai.
  • only farangs (and a few Cambodian and Burmese girls of low morals) use FX booths.

A ban on Telegraphic Transfers is being considered to stop the international spread of Coronavirus.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Seems reasonable. It's well known

• farangs spread Coronavirus.
  • Thais can only catch Coronavirus from a farang, Thais cannot catch Coronavirus from another Thai.
  • only farangs (and a few Cambodian and Burmese girls of low morals) use FX booths.

A ban on Telegraphic Transfers is being considered to stop the international spread of Coronavirus.

The same reasoning applied (applies ) to HIV ....

Now, more seriously, how long will it take for one the official to come up with a Corona test for a work permit, marriage visa, pensioner visa ? 

9 hours ago, Krapow said:

UK has now just said not to go to Northern Italy.

And if you are there or have been there and come back to the UK, you will have compulsory self isolation for 14 days, symptoms or not.

Italy isn't on my list for now, and when I do go there it's much further south than the problem areas. However, anyone that goes to Italy outwith the areas on lockdown should be aware the virus is already outwith there.  A friend has a case announced at work and schools have been sent home in the Naples area.

I hadn't heard about the UK ordering self isolation though. but it makes sense.

5 hours ago, alias said:

Sigh!

Your ignorance knows no bounds, but isn't surprising considering your previous. 

I am calm,  you're doing the shouting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KWA said:

Italy isn't on my list for now, and when I do go there it's much further south than the problem areas. However, anyone that goes to Italy outwith the areas on lockdown should be aware the virus is already outwith there.  A friend has a case announced at work and schools have been sent home in the Naples area.

I hadn't heard about the UK ordering self isolation though. but it makes sense.

Yea, but gives an indication of what the UK is going to do. 

Get the freezer emptied!

11 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yea, but gives an indication of what the UK is going to do. 

I'll tell you what they're going to do and have done which is strip shelves of carsie paper. I just been up Aldi before the sprogs mothers return from school runs and theres bugger all

I'm not stock piling lol I need some shithouse paper. Worse case scenarion the yellow pages will be utilised

Interesting bit of psycho babble on the Sky News about the bog roll panic buying:

"

Dr Dimitrios Tsivrikos: expert in consumer and behavioural science at the University College London

Dr Tsivrikos explained the difference between disaster panic and general panic, with toilet paper becoming a symbol of the latter

"Disaster panic is normally for something you have more information on, such as a natural disaster," he said.

"You know it is going to happen and you usually know it will last a couple days and you can prepare by being somewhat rational with what you buy.

"But in public health issues we have no idea about the time or intensity and we get messages on a daily basis that we should go into panic mode that we buy into more than we need to. It's our only tool of control."

He said that because toilet paper has a longer shelf-life than many food items, is prominently featured in aisles and is big in size, we are psychologically drawn to purchasing it in times of crisis.

He said: "The bigger they are, the more important we think they are.

"If we had an international sign for panic it would be a traffic warning sign with a toilet paper roll in the middle."

Source: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-are-people-panic-buying-and-why-toilet-paper-11952397

• Like 1