COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

31 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I think it is far too early to start doing Post Mortems only the Covid pandemic as the patient (Covid ) is still very much alive.

What was done or should have been, what worked and what didn't work will probably be the subject of discussion for sometime to come, but none of actual know with any certainly at this stage.

Blame the Media,blame Governments, blame Scientists, blame Social Media, blame the People, blame big Biotech etc etc etc

We all have access to information, or disinformation and make a choice as to which we want  to believe, often based on our own preconceived notions or ideas.

Places like Denmark and Hong Kong are going back to Lockdown and Covid restrictions as their numbers grow,whilst places such as UK have lifted most restrictions. 

Personally,I look at it this way...............

Whilst I have my own opinions, but I am not a qualified expert in virology, I am not a politician, I am not a conspiracy theorists nor a freedom fighter for civil liberties. 

I think that it is pretty futile a this stage to argue over the handling of a Virus which is still at large and affecting large numbers of people across to he globe. We cannot simply assume to hat it's all over. But we must hope that it is. We must also hope that further more deadly and infectious strains of the virus do not emerge. We simply don't know. 

What I do know. Without to he need to quote Media or scientific research,is that PEOPLE are responsible for the spread of contagious viruses. They come knocking at our door. 

What is obvious,is that Covid relies on human contact to grow and survive.  Lockdowns worked as an interim solution for reducing numbers of infected people,which in turn would reduce the numbers of hospitalisations and deaths related to Covid symptoms, particularly during the first two waves of Covid. 

Omicron and it's sub variant are now the most common and less potent that previous strains. Therefore,whilst infections are still high, the symptoms are less damaging,especially for those who have been vaccinated. 

We are living with the virus, but different countries are at different stages and Covid looks like it will be here to stay for some time. But during that time. However long that may be. New treatments are and will be developed to treat severe cases in the most vulnerable, whilst herd immunity continues in others.

What happens if more mutations occur that are more severe and worst than Delta? The answer is that none of us really know

That is not doom and gloom, it is just a possible scenario that we should not ignore. 

For now it seems likely that we can live with Omicron and that it's infection rates and associated deaths and hospitalisations with gradually reduce across the world. 

In my opinion,we should rejoice as restrictions are lifted, but not take them for granted. It's not over until it's over.

We were asked to make sacrifices, whether that be vaccination, wearing face protections, self isolation and social distancing etc. Most of us have complied, one way or another.

Let's hope that all of these things have been  worthwhile  doing at the time or currently, and I think they were or still are, to different degrees. Nothing to do with politics either. 

Denmark are not going back into Lockdown. The average daily death of people with covid is currently about 30.

You're welcome!

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

He better hope he don't test positive as he will have died from COVID. Nobody seems to have died from old age, clinical illness etc in the last 2 years. 

It seems the flu has been near eradicated too....555

cheers

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

He better hope he don't test positive as he will have died from COVID. Nobody seems to have died from old age, clinical illness etc in the last 2 years. 

It's all here mate. For UK at least

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending31december2021

Old age is not recorded as a reason for death. It's usually either Natural causes or heart failure etc.

• Like 1

Personal anecdotal reports concerning the veracity (or not) of Covid are about as good as a small bowl of peanuts at the pub. No one cares unless drunk. :default_drinks:

Interesting...for those who like to read and can understand tables and graphs:

Tracking covid-19 excess deaths across countries
In many parts of the world, official death tolls undercount the total number of fatalities

As covid-19 has spread around the world, people have become grimly familiar with the death tolls that their governments publish each day. Unfortunately, the total number of fatalities caused by the pandemic may be even higher, for several reasons. First, the official statistics in many countries exclude victims who did not test positive for coronavirus before dying—which can be a substantial majority in places with little capacity for testing. Second, hospitals and civil registries may not process death certificates for several days, or even weeks, which creates lags in the data. And third, the pandemic has made it harder for doctors to treat other conditions and discouraged people from going to hospital, which may have indirectly caused an increase in fatalities from diseases other than covid-19...

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker?utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=20220219&utm_content=ed-picks-article-link-6&etear=nl_special_6&utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=2/19/2022&utm_id=1055648

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Africa accounts for just 3.6% of doses administered globally, partly because of hesitancy but mainly because it has struggled to get supplies and distribute them.

To build a vaccine industry, Africa must embrace the private sector
Without a shift in focus, the continent risks always being at the back of the queue

The global vaccination drive has been both inspiring and depressing. Inspiring because a combination of ingenuity, private-sector endeavour and effective government action has led to 4.9bn people around the world receiving at least one jab in one of the largest mobilisations of medical resources in history. Depressing because 3bn people, mainly in poorer countries, have yet to receive a single shot and because the distribution of vaccines has been mired in autarky and bickering.

Of the world’s regions, Africa has come out worst: it accounts for just 3.6% of global administered doses, partly because of hesitancy but mainly because it has struggled to get supplies and distribute them. Governments across the continent understandably want to escape from the back of the vaccine queue. Many of them, backed by supporters in the rich world, have focused on chastising pharmaceutical groups and arguing that intellectual property must be compulsorily licensed. That is a bad idea...

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2022/02/19/to-build-a-vaccine-industry-africa-must-embrace-the-private-sector?utm_content=ed-picks-article-link-4&etear=nl_special_4&utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=2/19/2022&utm_id=1055648

Edited by lazarus

4 hours ago, lazarus said:

Personal anecdotal reports concerning the veracity (or not) of Covid are about as good as a small bowl of peanuts at the pub. No one cares unless drunk. :default_drinks:

Interesting...for those who like to read and can understand tables and graphs:

Tracking covid-19 excess deaths across countries
In many parts of the world, official death tolls undercount the total number of fatalities

As covid-19 has spread around the world, people have become grimly familiar with the death tolls that their governments publish each day. Unfortunately, the total number of fatalities caused by the pandemic may be even higher, for several reasons. First, the official statistics in many countries exclude victims who did not test positive for coronavirus before dying—which can be a substantial majority in places with little capacity for testing. Second, hospitals and civil registries may not process death certificates for several days, or even weeks, which creates lags in the data. And third, the pandemic has made it harder for doctors to treat other conditions and discouraged people from going to hospital, which may have indirectly caused an increase in fatalities from diseases other than covid-19...

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker?utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=20220219&utm_content=ed-picks-article-link-6&etear=nl_special_6&utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=2/19/2022&utm_id=1055648

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Africa accounts for just 3.6% of doses administered globally, partly because of hesitancy but mainly because it has struggled to get supplies and distribute them.

To build a vaccine industry, Africa must embrace the private sector
Without a shift in focus, the continent risks always being at the back of the queue

The global vaccination drive has been both inspiring and depressing. Inspiring because a combination of ingenuity, private-sector endeavour and effective government action has led to 4.9bn people around the world receiving at least one jab in one of the largest mobilisations of medical resources in history. Depressing because 3bn people, mainly in poorer countries, have yet to receive a single shot and because the distribution of vaccines has been mired in autarky and bickering.

Of the world’s regions, Africa has come out worst: it accounts for just 3.6% of global administered doses, partly because of hesitancy but mainly because it has struggled to get supplies and distribute them. Governments across the continent understandably want to escape from the back of the vaccine queue. Many of them, backed by supporters in the rich world, have focused on chastising pharmaceutical groups and arguing that intellectual property must be compulsorily licensed. That is a bad idea...

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2022/02/19/to-build-a-vaccine-industry-africa-must-embrace-the-private-sector?utm_content=ed-picks-article-link-4&etear=nl_special_4&utm_campaign=a.coronavirus-special-edition&utm_medium=email.internal-newsletter.np&utm_source=salesforce-marketing-cloud&utm_term=2/19/2022&utm_id=1055648

And yet more timeless claptrap about poor Africa! Good Gawd....gimme a break!

In the last two years the absolute SAFEST continent on earth to be regarding Covid has been Africa. Per capita, Covid has barely made a pin prick on the population as a whole. And why might that be? Well, for one thing, it has the youngest demographic. It is a young country, full of healthy people who spend a great deal of their day outside. There are not a lot of fat bastards like in Western Europe or America, shoveling Big Macs or greasy fried foods into their maw like there is no tomorrow.

Their diet is mostly organic, fresh veggies at the market right off the farm. Free range chicken, lots of prepared meals with fresh ingredients. Not a lot of preservatives in their food, the school kids walk to school, some 5-7 kilometers each day, each way! I've seen them in their school uniforms walking home from school at 6 pm when it's dark. And not a love handle or double chin among them.

No doubt that millions of Africans contracted the virus but their immune systems by and large, were able to fight it off as immune systems tend to do when an outside virus invades the body. When I was in Kenya, masking was mandated but seldom enforced by the authorities, unless they went around looking for contributions to the annual policeman's charity ball and fine people for not wearing one.

There was bar curfews and only take away orders at restaurants for a while but even during those times, a bar owner with deep pockets would simply pay a bribe to the local cops and his place could remain open without incident. My last trip there, the President lifted the curfew a week before I left and the country celebrated as if they were reborn. And the feeling was...let the good times roll!

A couple of American friends of mine, both mid-60s, have lived in Kenya for the better part of the last 2 and a half years, with only a couple trips home for family and personal reasons, but for each, only staying a minimal amount of time so they could escape from the closures, mandates and government nonsense that was rampant in the states they lived, both east coast blue states, and return to Kenya, where people for the most part continued on with their lives, and a mask drooping under their nose for appearances sake, but business as usual for everything else.

No need for the liberal western media to cry for Africa. They, certainly not the Kenyans, aren't crying because of it.

No doubt, in response to this post will be charts, graphs and links from the Atlantic, NY Times or CNN to say I'm full of bull excrement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big announcement from Boris this week, all Covid restrictions axed, no more legal requirements for isolation etc, tests being cut way back. Learning to live with Covid full steam ahead.

Hallefuckinglujah!

Will just be England at the start, you know the drill with Sturgeon and Drakeford, reckless, endangering life, deflection (actually some truth in the deflection, but who cares, not me), then they'll quietly follow suit a few weeks later. 

UK were posting near quarter of a million infection cases last month, and guess what, overall deaths were no higher than any other winter with or WITHOUT covid, and no lockdown.

Omicron, game changer! 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Krapow said:

UK were posting near quarter of a million infection cases last month, and guess what, overall deaths were no higher than any other winter with or WITHOUT covid, and no lockdown

Great point, so much noise in UK COVID data, the real figure to look at is excess deaths.

Stacks of those people in the official UK hospital stats will have been admitted for non-COVID reasons and contracted it hospital as by now everyone in the UK will have been in contact with Omicron.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Great point, so much noise in UK COVID data, the real figure to look at is excess deaths.

Stacks of those people in the official UK hospital stats will have been admitted for non-COVID reasons and contracted it hospital as by now everyone in the UK will have been in contact with Omicron.

Yep, unrelated to Covid but still counted in the data.

Though now acknowledged as such. 

Omicron has changed everything. 

5 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Covid is not the only disease you can catch by going to a hospital. Definitely germ havens.

MERS coronavirus for one ...comes to mind.

There has been evidence of limited, but not sustained spread of MERS-CoV from person to person, both in households as well as in health care settings like hospitals.[13][29] Most transmission has occurred "in the circumstances of close contact with severely ill persons in healthcare or household settings" and there is no evidence of transmission from asymptomatic cases.[30] Cluster sizes have ranged from 1 to 26 people, with an average of 2.7.[31]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MERS

On 2/19/2022 at 12:31 PM, Krapow said:

Denmark are not going back into Lockdown. The average daily death of people with covid is currently about 30.

You're welcome!

the 30 people are dead because the have covid,not because of the covid, how long will you stop the world turning because old people are dying?people have allways dying

• Surprised 1

Covid has a lot to answer for.

It has brought about incredible R & D with regards to vaccines,  delivery means, efficacy, timescales, demographic differences, mortality numbers and God knows what else.

It has also demonstrated to current and successive governments the estimated level of public compliance, which groups are most likely to resist, demonstrate and which groups will follow instructions without question. It has allowed a draconian intrusion and removal of fundamental freedoms, some of which totally unnecessary (care home rules for example) .Moreover it has also demonstrated to which level a govt can call upon it's Police and law enforcement to uphold those rules, and the level of sanction they can visit upon offenders.

For example:

BLM protests in the UK. Very soft policing approach despite the rules in place. Racially sensitive.

Sarah Everard protest in London. Tough approach, bully boy tactics and basically a throwback to how the Police operated during the Miners Strike. Almost, because "hysterical women".

Fortunately, the piss useless muppet Cressida Dick has now left the Met, so hopefully even if her successor is half as competent as a performing monkey, he will therefore be twice as competent as her.

But, I digress.

I still believe that Covid was a weaponised version of that type of Virus. Deliberately weaponised, perhaps accidentally released, perhaps done on purpose. With my tin foil hat firmly covering my ears and eyes so as not to hear or see any reasonable argument against it, it remains my opinion after having spoken to some pretty clever people.

The data, the virulence, the spread and the continuing mutation is priceless information to any Regime looking at how effective to make it's next biological weapon. Moreso, the time it took for how the various Govts reacted, and how far it had spread before they did so, and what the reaction was (remember Bojo and "Herd Immunity"? - "We'll have this virus beaten in 12 weeks"...yadayadayada..How long it took to spread and where it spread from and to.

This is invaluable intelligence, absolute gold mine for the scientists and arguably a once in a lifetime chance to maybe pull a bit of a stunt and get away with it, relatively lightly. For a Political regime with an unenviable record on human rights and a self confessed aim of establishing another Chinese "Dynasty" as was however many thousand years ago, it seems a win win. No one will sanction them as they need the cheap stuff, no one will challenge them Militarily because the US simply does not have an appetite (despite the capability) for another punch up in SEA and no one will challenge them economically, simply because they can't (although keep an eye on India - Watch this space).

Because after all, China seems to have done so, and gotten away with it, have they not?.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Butch said:

Because after all, China seems to have done so, and gotten away with it, have they not?

I'm more of the mind that the virus was result of an ongoing evolutionary process. Things change naturally. Often for the bad. Covid-19 is just one more mutation. It could have started in the US (as the Spanish Flu of 1918 did).

In terms of response, it was/is all over the map (no pun intended). Different governmental structures, politics, the media, health care systems, individual opinions and biases -- all have come into play. Our little forum of old farts from different places and backgrounds is a microcosm of this.

Stay healthy.

• Thumbs Up 3

More pish for the Karens?

Why you may only need one Covid booster – for now

Will we need a fourth dose anytime soon? Not for a long time, according to experts who are now saying third time’s the charm against Omicron.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/why-you-may-only-need-one-covid-booster-for-now/news-story/f697818f0d6a3b9e35e041758e84bc90

Got a Covid Booster? You Probably Won’t Need Another for a Long Time

A flurry of new studies suggests that several parts of the immune system can mount a sustained, potent response to any coronavirus variant.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/21/health/covid-vaccine-antibodies-t-cells.html

11 hours ago, Krapow said:

Where's @fforest?

Has his head exploded that we're not under technocratic servitude via the Great Reset and need a social credit score to go to the 7/ll yet?

Or one too many vaccines, and he's pfizered out of his nut. 

Probably too busy fighting htis way through the conspiracy versions of Putin's lastest ...

• Haha 1

Unvaccinated? Think again.

In the US Covid is still putting unvaccinated people in the grave with remarkable efficiency.

. . .

Covid-19 is killing more people now than during most of the pandemic. Here's who's still at risk

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/24/health/covid-deaths-now-younger-unvaccinated/index.html

...A common refrain early in the pandemic was that Covid-19 was most deadly for the elderly and people with certain health conditions. The people dying from Covid-19 now tend to be younger than before, and they're overwhelmingly unvaccinated, experts say.

"I've long since lost track of the number of people I've seen die of the disease, but the reality is that almost everybody who is critically ill, in the ICU or dying now remains unvaccinated. That has been true since the beginning. But in the beginning, people didn't have the opportunity to be vaccinated," said Dr. Stephen Threlkeld, medical director of the infectious diseases program at Baptist Memorial Health Care in Memphis.

"None of us taking care of Covid patients need CDC statistics or anyone else to tell us that, because we simply see that reality play out every day and have for quite some time."

But the data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is clear. In December, the risk of dying from Covid-19 was 14 times higher for unvaccinated adults than it was for adults who were fully vaccinated with their initial series. The gap was even larger when looking at those who also got their booster shot: 51 times higher...

. . .

Capture.JPG

Edited by lazarus

31 minutes ago, Krapow said:

IMG-20220225-WA0027.thumb.jpg.ac0bf06ec641fef4c7825ef621462d12.jpg

Easy for you & Vladi to say...

Just received this in my in box...

. . .

Hi all - Your children have been identified as close contacts of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Because they are all vaccinated, they can remain in school. We recommend you test them on 3/6 or if they develop any symptoms.

I have extra rapid test kits in my office if you need one or you can pick up a Color test, administer it to your child and drop it off in the pick up bin by the main entrance. Those results should be back within 1-2 days. If you choose to do that, you must take the swab the same day you drop it off. 

Best,

Sheera S----
Principal

. . .

no worries, though.

54 minutes ago, Krapow said:

IMG-20220225-WA0027.thumb.jpg.ac0bf06ec641fef4c7825ef621462d12.jpg

Yep....and more restrictions, even in my "blue" state, being eliminated. Has been very nice to walk into a restaurant without a mask or a bookstore and browse for a classic work from Charles Bukowski or Gabriel Garcia Marquez, all the while showing off my handsome mug to all staff and fellow shoppers. Hey...10,000 Thai girls can't all be wrong, could they? Just been rolling with it for years, not going to stop now.

And ain't it curious, our resident Dr. Doom, aka Fauci, has been noticeably absent from the airwaves over the last week or 10 days, and hasn't been spewing out his clap trap for all the "Nervous Nelly's" to hear and keep them cowering in the corner, afraid of their own shadow.

Hmm...I wonder....has there been any story in the news lately that has grabbed the attention of the media, particularly the US media, that has resulted in the Good Doctor Fauci being relegated to page A-24 in the headline section of the paper where few eyeballs are paying attention to him?

Kinda funny how that works.