COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

2 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I was thinking more that there is a dearth of tourists in Phuket hence many vacancies due to Covid travel requirements and rising Covid rates in Thailand.

That gangland shooting was in a parking lot...only a few dozen 9mm holes in the pavement. Probably already filled in!

Hmmm,  I thought it was on the drive directly in front of his villa. 

Either way, just trying to have a bit of a joke mate.

27 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Hmmm,  I thought it was on the drive directly in front of his villa. 

Either way, just trying to have a bit of a joke mate.

Yeah, I think it was outside his beachfront unit. Still don't understand why it took six hours to find him unless it is truly deserted there? I hear regular gunshots near where I live and people often report them to the SFPD.

LEOs & first responders often have a twisted sense of humor... 👮‍♀️

Goes with the territory, right? I was an Firefighter/EMT for awhile in Idaho and saw a bit of carnage.

Have a great weekend...

It's in the 70s here. I'll be out enjoying it...vaccinated, no mask required, living my best life.

20220206-IMG_2749.jpg

3 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yeah, I think it was outside his beachfront unit. Still don't understand why it took six hours to find him unless it is truly deserted there? I hear regular gunshots near where I live and people often report them to the SFPD.

LEOs & first responders often have a twisted sense of humor... 👮‍♀️

Goes with the territory, right? I was an Firefighter/EMT for awhile in Idaho and saw a bit of carnage.

Have a great weekend...

It's in the 70s here. I'll be out enjoying it...vaccinated, no mask required, living my best life.

20220206-IMG_2749.jpg

👍

I've got a million of them.

One of the best - Somebody once reported that they discovered what they believed to be a dead fetus in a toilet. They thought it was deformed and human as it apparently looked as such (somewhat looked like loose blood vessels, etc.).

A couple guys responded, then followed by a shift Sgt. and an evidence tech. None of them were certain what it was and decided to take it in for an autopsy. 

Turned out to me a giant turd.

• Haha 3

Reporting gun shots can vary from place to place. I think there are many factors that play into that.

Now many big cities (and I reckon some smaller ones by now) incorporate new tech that can pinpoint the location where gunshots originate.

Just one more tech boondoggle IMO. All the new tech they keep coming out with doesn't seem to amount to jack shit when looking at violent crime rates.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:32 PM, lazarus said:

Yes and no.

The chance of contracting the disease goes down considerably with vaccination, especially with adding a booster shot. Unfortunately the Omicron variant has seen more breakthrough infections, though.

Fewer (vaccinated) people contracting Covid does lessen the spread, as well as the potential for new variants.

. . .

CDC COVID-19 Study Shows mRNA Vaccines Reduce Risk of Infection by 91 Percent for Fully Vaccinated People
Vaccination Makes Illness Milder, Shorter for the Few Vaccinated People Who Do Get COVID-19

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0607-mrna-reduce-risks.html

... “COVID-19 vaccines are a critical tool in overcoming this pandemic,” said CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH. “Findings from the extended timeframe of this study add to accumulating evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are effective and should prevent most infections — but that fully vaccinated people who still get COVID-19 are likely to have milder, shorter illness and appear to be less likely to spread the virus to others. These benefits are another important reason to get vaccinated.” ...

. . .

Breakthrough Infections: Coronavirus After Vaccination

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/breakthrough-infections-coronavirus-after-vaccination

How common are breakthrough cases of COVID?
A study in Washington state gathered data from over 4 million fully vaccinated people. The data showed a rate of about 1 in 5,000 experienced a breakthrough infection between January 17 and August 21, 2021. More recently, some populations have shown breakthrough infection rates of approximately 1 in 100 fully vaccinated people.

. . .

What doctors wish patients knew about breakthrough COVID infections

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-breakthrough-covid-infections

... Most breakthrough infections are mild

“Because people who are vaccinated have had some immunity, some antibodies, a majority of these breakthrough cases are going to be asymptomatic or mild,” said Dr. Sanghavi. “According to the data, reported by CDC and other publications, it seems like around 25% to 30% of the patients who have had breakthrough infections are completely asymptomatic.

“There are about 50% to 60% of the patients who would have some symptoms, but are mild and still may not need hospitalization,” he added. “The severity of the symptoms of these COVID breakthrough infection cases would be milder, but in certain patients you may still need all the aggressive care that we provide to a person who is unimmunized who gets a COVID infection.”

“For 90% of the patients, the breakthrough infection would be mild, but for 10% of the patients, they would still require hospitalization,” said Dr. Sanghavi. But then “1% to 2% of those hospitalized from breakthrough infections may still die, unfortunately. So, it’s still a concern.”

Additionally, “what you’re seeing predominantly is 80% of the patients who have the Omicron variant are unvaccinated and are needing hospitalization,” he said. “That is the reason why everybody should get vaccinated—because even if you are immunosuppressed and get a breakthrough infection, that infection would be mild as compared to a regular infection.”

All that about less chance of not contracting Covid with a vaccine..

October / November 2020 we all had no vaccine , my Mrs caught it she was ill two days of the 14 

I slept in the same bed with her for two weeks of isolation , nothing changed as regards staying away , I didn't catch it and neither did my kids

January 2022 three jabs for the pair of us , my eldest son one jab(14 years old) no jab for my 10 year old son ...we all catch it .

Just my experience .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, roomark said:

All that about less chance of not contracting Covid with a vaccine..

October / November 2020 we all had no vaccine , my Mrs caught it she was ill two days of the 14 

I slept in the same bed with her for two weeks of isolation , nothing changed as regards staying away , I didn't catch it and neither did my kids

January 2022 three jabs for the pair of us , my eldest son one jab(14 years old) no jab for my 10 year old son ...we all catch it .

Just my experience .

Yeah I know it's crazy how some folks are impacted, or not. Glad you lived to write about it.

Anecdotally, I have several dead friends and friends with dead family members. Add friends who tested positive and were either barely ill, or asymptomatic. It's really all over the place.

Omicron was/is a different beast however; much more contagious that previous variants.

Medical science research -- epidemiology -- is based on population studies.  Large numbers of people (control groups) studied to ascertain statistically relevant conclusions.

I read one study last night -- basically it concludes that in terms of cardiac problems the risk from Covid vaccination is far less than for people who contract Covid and become seriously ill. 

Very large numbers of people were involved in the analyses:

Risks of myocarditis, pericarditis, and cardiac arrhythmias associated with COVID-19 vaccination or SARS-CoV-2 infection

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01630-0

"... In summary, this population-based study quantifies for the first time the risk of several rare cardiac adverse events associated with three COVID-19 vaccines as well as SARS-CoV-2 infection. Vaccination for SARS-CoV-2 in adults was associated with a small increase in the risk of myocarditis within a week of receiving the first dose of both adenovirus and mRNA vaccines, and after the second dose of both mRNA vaccines. By contrast, SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with a substantial increase in the risk of hospitalization or death from myocarditis, pericarditis and cardiac arrhythmia."

Edited by lazarus
cleaned it up a bit...
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Unfortunately, in San Francisco where Spaz lives, if he goes outside, it won't be roses he's smelling.

In this May 7, 2020, file photo, a homeless encampment is seen under a freeway overpass in Oakland, Calif. Among the 7,000 homeless moved into hotel rooms to ride out the pandemic are people with compromised lungs and hearts. California counties have leased more than 15,000 hotel rooms as part of Project Roomkey, which Gov. Gavin Newsom launched in March to protect vulnerable homeless people.

14 hours ago, lazarus said:

^ that's not San Francisco...

Not San Francisco, but Oakland. Found the location by doing a Google search on "giraffes painted on pillar" which gave me the city, then Street View search on Santa Clara, Oakland got me the rest of the way there.

image.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lazarus said:

The gist of that meme is global gov'mints have not done very well addressing global pandemic eradication. 900,000+ of my countrymen have died from Covid in less than two years. 

Sorry it went over your head.

I read this morning in the Post that Covid infections are rising quickly in Thailand. Must be due to un-vaxx'ed people traveling around, circulating the disease and flouting emergency health decrees.  That's how disease spread, right?

I know...you're just living your life. Good luck.  👍

. . .

15,242 new Covid cases, 23 more deaths

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2262683/15-242-new-covid-cases-23-more-deaths

"... Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said in the afternoon briefing that the 23 latest fatalities were between the ages of eight months and 89 years..."

Oh dear....false news again.

So now you are again saying that the spread of the virus is from unvaccinated people when that is obviously not true as all people can spread it...vaxed and unvaxed. Truely you should stop with the spreading of false information.... you are making yourself look foolish.

cheers 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roobob said:

Oh dear....false news again.

So now you are again saying that the spread of the virus is from unvaccinated people when that is obviously not true as all people can spread it...vaxed and unvaxed. Truely you should stop with the spreading of false information.... you are making yourself look foolish.

The other forum members can decide who the fool is.

:default_gathering:

Edited by lazarus
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Not San Francisco, but Oakland. Found the location by doing a Google search on "giraffes painted on pillar" which gave me the city, then Street View search on Santa Clara, Oakland got me the rest of the way there.

Unfortunately that only raises more questions than it answers.

I tried the "reverse angle" to see where the original picture might have been take from and discovered this.

image.png

What are they trying to hide behind the blob?

Looks just like a normal house from the overhead.

image.png

But who knows what dark secrets lurk within?

A son and a daughter embrace their father, a COVID-19 patient in the intensive-care unit, before his intubation procedure at the Providence Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo, California, on January 25, 2022. #Shannon Stapleton / Reuters

original (1).jpg

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2022/01/photos-of-the-week-frozen-shore-wool-cat-lenticular-clouds/621390/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-photo-newsletter&utm_content=20220128&silverid=%%RECIPIENT_ID%%&utm_term=New Photo Galleries

Edited by lazarus

Good to know...

Pfizer’s Novel COVID-19 Oral Antiviral Treatment Candidate Reduced Risk of Hospitalization or Death by 89% in Interim Analysis of Phase 2/3 EPIC-HR Study

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizers-novel-covid-19-oral-antiviral-treatment-candidate

> PAXLOVID™ (PF-07321332; ritonavir) was found to reduce the risk of hospitalization or death by 89% compared to placebo in non-hospitalized high-risk adults with COVID-19

> In the overall study population through Day 28, no deaths were reported in patients who received PAXLOVID™ as compared to 10 deaths in patients who received placebo

> Pfizer plans to submit the data as part of its ongoing rolling submission to the U.S. FDA for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) as soon as possible

------------------------------------------------------

Open Everything
The time to end pandemic restrictions is now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/02/end-coronavirus-restrictions/621627/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20220210&utm_term=The Atlantic Daily

... For those who are fully vaccinated, the risk from COVID has fallen dramatically. From October to November, 7.8 out of 100,000 unvaccinated Americans died from COVID every week, according to the CDC. During the same period, 0.6 out of 100,000 vaccinated Americans died from the disease every week. Among Americans who were also boosted, only 0.1 out of 100,000 did...

... Worldwide spread of the coronavirus will likely continue to result in serious suffering for years to come. That’s tragic. But it is not a sufficient reason to permanently change our society in ways that make it less free, sociable, and joyous.

Just as we are willing to take on calculated risks in other areas of life, so we should be willing to tolerate some risk of infectious disease. When you set out to drive across the country, you know that you could get into an accident. You might get hurt, and so might another driver, or even a child crossing the road. But that does not create a moral obligation to stay put for the rest of your life.

Because COVID will likely remain endemic for the foreseeable future, delaying a return to normal life until the risk it poses has been completely eliminated simply is not a realistic plan...

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Good to know...

Pfizer’s Novel COVID-19 Oral Antiviral Treatment Candidate Reduced Risk of Hospitalization or Death by 89% in Interim Analysis of Phase 2/3 EPIC-HR Study

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizers-novel-covid-19-oral-antiviral-treatment-candidate

> PAXLOVID™ (PF-07321332; ritonavir) was found to reduce the risk of hospitalization or death by 89% compared to placebo in non-hospitalized high-risk adults with COVID-19

> In the overall study population through Day 28, no deaths were reported in patients who received PAXLOVID™ as compared to 10 deaths in patients who received placebo

> Pfizer plans to submit the data as part of its ongoing rolling submission to the U.S. FDA for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) as soon as possible

------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. government has paid around $530 for a 5-day course of Paxlovid, $700 per five-day course of molnupiravir, and $2,100 for a course of sotrovimab - the lone available antibody treatment shown to work against the now dominant Omicron variant of the virus.

In clinical trials, ICER said molnupiravir cut hospitalization rates for high-risk patients by 30%, compared with 88% risk reduction for Paxlovid and 79% for sotrovimab.

That is the US government price. Dunno how much a course will cost at the pharmacy next to Tim's.

What do the antivaxxers think of Paxlovid, will they be queuing up to buy what a $US20 vaccination

(x3) could have prevented?

On 2/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, fygjam said:

Tough choice. Calls university professors "glorified teachers" but won't disclose his own academic achievements.

Ok, I've decided...

Still waiting on all those scientific papers that glorified teacher named  Prof Nancy Baxter has published about Covid???  Have you found them yet....or is it a case that there is none and you are in the deflection mode when called out for your rubbish...lol.  At least she is not like some of the other glorified teacher vaccine zealots where she gives needles to minors against their parent's wishes. 

Oh....gee...that lockdown with all the restrictions in WA really worked...... next statement from you will be that lockdowns are the be all end all...555.

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, roobob said:

Still waiting on all those scientific papers that glorified teacher named  Prof Nancy Baxter has published about Covid???  Have you found them yet....or is it a case that there is none and you are in the deflection mode when called out for your rubbish...lol.  At least she is not like some of the other glorified teacher vaccine zealots where she gives needles to minors against their parent's wishes. 

Oh....gee...that lockdown with all the restrictions in WA really worked...... next statement from you will be that lockdowns are the be all end all...555.

cheers

Still waiting for your academic achievements to see if your actually qualified to judge. Or did you fail apple bringing in kindergarten?

I don't really know much about lockdowns. We didn't have them much where I am. Only about 3 weeks since May 2020. Most of the times the pubs were open, the nightclubs were in full swing, people dining in restaurants. That's what happens when there is no community spread and no deaths.

Glad to see the bromance is back on, Slick sent you a heart for valentines. How sweet, I hope you didn't forget Slick.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

Still waiting for your academic achievements to see if your actually qualified to judge. Or did you fail apple bringing in kindergarten?

I don't really know much about lockdowns. We didn't have them much where I am. Only about 3 weeks since May 2020. Most of the times the pubs were open, the nightclubs were in full swing, people dining in restaurants. That's what happens when there is no community spread and no deaths.

Glad to see the bromance is back on, Slick sent you a heart for valentines. How sweet, I hope you didn't forget Slick.

Nice deflection once again....so it is safe to say that your heroine "professor" has got no scientific papers published on covid......lol.

Ahhh....another one living in your bubble .......you should really get off your couch and get out in the real world. I suggest you look at the current situation in WA the despot leader has in place to see what is actually going on.

cheers

32 minutes ago, roobob said:

Nice deflection once again....so it is safe to say that your heroine "professor" has got no scientific papers published on covid......lol.

Ahhh....another one living in your bubble .......you should really get off your couch and get out in the real world. I suggest you look at the current situation in WA the despot leader has in place to see what is actually going on.

cheers

Who's deflecting now?

Show us your academic qualifications that we may judge if you are in anyway qualified to call anyone a "glorified teacher".

Put up or shut up!

Perhaps you could list the scientific papers dealing with Covid-19 that you have had published.

Perhaps you could list the scientific papers dealing with any subject that you have had published.

Edited by fygjam

55 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Who's deflecting now?

Show us your academic qualifications that we may judge if you are in anyway qualified to call anyone a "glorified teacher".

Put up or shut up!

Perhaps you could list the scientific papers dealing with Covid-19 that you have had published.

Perhaps you could list the scientific papers dealing with any subject that you have had published.

You should practice what you preach.

You were the one that brought up how much a covid expert Baxter was but when asked to stump all the scientific papers she has had published...as usual you come up with zip...nothing...zero.  Once again you put up false information as it is fact but when you get called out on it...immediately go to the deflect mode.

So again...it is safe to say that your heroine "professor" has got no scientific papers published on covid......lol.

🤣 🤣 🤣

cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roobob said:

You should practice what you preach.

You were the one that brought up how much a covid expert Baxter was but when asked to stump all the scientific papers she has had published...as usual you come up with zip...nothing...zero.  Once again you put up false information as it is fact but when you get called out on it...immediately go to the deflect mode.

So again...it is safe to say that your heroine "professor" has got no scientific papers published on covid......lol.

🤣 🤣 🤣

cheers

Glad to see you haven't lost your penchant for distorting the facts.

Quote my post where I claimed that Professor Baxter was an expert on Covid.

Quote my post where I claimed that Baxter had written papers on Covid.

Quote my post where I claimed Baxter as a heroine.

Quote my post containing the false information you claim I put up.

If you can't quote any of the above then we know what that makes you.

BTW. I'd still like to see your academic achievements compared to Baxter's.

BTW. It's part of a university professor's job to apply for grants to fund the work of their department. If, as you say, Baxter was successful in obtaining grants then obviously the work being funded was considered relevant to and by the sponsors.