COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

On 1/28/2022 at 1:22 PM, fygjam said:

Dear oh dear indeed. The roob.. gets his Covid and vaccine information from Karl Stefanovic and The Today show. Explains why he is so ill-informed.

Professor Nancy Baxter, PhD in Clinical Epidemiology, I wonder what the roob..'s PhD is in?

Baxter has 682 papers and articles published in journals like The Lancet, BMJ, JAMA etc. That's like one paper or article for every two posts the roob.. has on this forum.

I'd like to see a discussion between Baxter and the roob.. on Covid related matters. She's also "board certified" (it's an American thing) in colorectal surgery and is used to cutting up arseholes.

Virology 101, or Roi Et for anyone in Thailand. The progeny, that's "the baby" for anyone who gets their information from The Today show, is always equally or more transmissible than the progenitor, mummy and daddy, or the variant rapidly disappears.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:57 PM, roobob said:

The only one who is deflecting is you.

How about putting up the number of scientific papers this glorified teacher has published about Covid???

I have given up a link which shows the grants she has received.... and what her position actually is....and what she has done...... and all you did was deflect to have a shot at a TV show. At least she has not claimed to be a sandgroper unlike ala...you....kudos to her for that...555

As said.... it is starting to fall apart for blokes like you and the stalker....people are now starting to call out the bullshit that that has been put to us over the last few years...but I reckon blokes like you and the stalker hope this keeps going on as that is all you have ..... you are actually getting off on the misery that has occurred.

cheers

Here you go deflector.

You bigged Baxter up by trotting her out and going on like she is a covid expert with the number of papers she has published as what is highlighted in your post above.

Since then you have been asked to to stump all the scientific papers she has had published on covid .....you have come up with zip...nothing...zero.   Once again you put up false information as it is fact but when you get called out on it...immediately go to the deflect mode.

🤣 🤣 🤣

cheers

37 minutes ago, roobob said:

Here you go deflector.

You bigged Baxter up by trotting her out and going on like she is a covid expert with the number of papers she has published as what is highlighted in your post above.

Since then you have been asked to to stump all the scientific papers she has had published on covid .....you have come up with zip...nothing...zero.   Once again you put up false information as it is fact but when you get called out on it...immediately go to the deflect mode.

🤣 🤣 🤣

cheers

And where about in that quote about the number of papers Baxter has had published did I say any of the published papers were about Covid?

Nowhere!

You fail!

And the other topics I invited you to quote.

Quote my post where I claimed that Professor Baxter was an expert on Covid.

Quote my post where I claimed Baxter as a heroine.

Quote my post containing the false information you claim I put up.

Nothing, not a sausage.

You fail again!

44 minutes ago, fygjam said:

And where about in that quote about the number of papers Baxter has had published did I say any of the published papers were about Covid?

Nowhere!

You fail!

And the other topics I invited you to quote.

Nothing, not a sausage.

You fail again!

You have been caught out. 

You bigged yourself up about her qualifications...what she has done...but when push come to shove and you were asked to stump up the scientific papers/ reports on covid she has had published and you veered off to deflect mode the same as you do every time you give out false information....... your easier to read than a book.

🤣 🤣 🤣

cheers

17 minutes ago, roobob said:

You have been caught out. 

You bigged yourself up about her qualifications...what she has done...but when push come to shove and you were asked to stump up the scientific papers/ reports on covid she has had published and you veered off to deflect mode the same as you do every time you give out false information....... your easier to read than a book.

🤣 🤣 🤣

cheers

Answer the questions or admit you lied!

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

Glad to see you haven't lost your penchant for distorting the facts.

Quote my post where I claimed that Baxter had written papers on Covid.

If you can't quote any of the above then we know what that makes you.

BTW. I'd still like to see your academic achievements compared to Baxter's.

BTW. It's part of a university professor's job to apply for grants to fund the work of their department. If, as you say, Baxter was successful in obtaining grants then obviously the work being funded was considered relevant to and by the sponsors.

Covid cases continuing to fall in UK as with deaths. 

I sincerely hope that this trend continues, not just here but the rest of the world. Hong Kong has recently had a surge of cases. 

Things feel generally very different here, now that most restrictions have been lifted, and I hope it continues to be the case

The last two years has been shit for many of us and I hope and pray, that another more lethal variant does not come our way. 

But if so, I think that most countries will be in a better position to deal with it, than they were when the  Covid virus first hit. We have come a long way since then and vaccines have been the key breakthrough. 

New drugs are also being developed, to treat the virus more effectively and some are now being used to treat patients, particularly the most vulnerable. 

I read a lot of criticisms against certain governments on the way that they are or have been handling the Pandemic, but let's be honest, to do nothing, would have been disastrous. 

We should all be optimistic, even though its not over yet. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The latest antic by an antivaxx loon.

A Delta Air Lines passenger is facing federal charges after he allegedly tried to open an emergency
door in-flight in the hope that other passengers would record him sharing his views on coronavirus
vaccines, prosecutors announced Monday.

Michael Brandon Demarre, 32, was on a Friday flight from Salt Lake City to Portland, Oregon,
when he removed a plastic covering over the handle on the aircraft's emergency exit and forcefully
pulled on the handle, Justice Department officials wrote in a news release. After a flight attendant
intervened and demanded he let go of the handle, Demarre complied and was physically restrained
by the flight crew, officials say.

When asked why he attempted to open the emergency door in-flight, the Portland resident told
police he hoped passengers onboard would start filming him so he had "the opportunity to share
his thoughts on covid-19 vaccines," according to an affidavit from FBI agent Adam Hoover. In a
passenger video obtained by the Register-Guard, Demarre is seen yelling, "We're all being lied to,"
and muttering about coronavirus vaccines as he is taken off the plane by authorities.

"Once in Portland, Demarre told officers he created the disturbance so other passengers would
video record him sharing his personal views," the Justice Department wrote.

Demarre is charged with threatening to interfere and interfering with a flight crew and attendants.
He could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted, according to US law.

https://www.traveller.com.au/delta-passengers-hear-loud-air-whooshing-as-antivaxxer-attempts-to-open-plane-door-h21rt0

Do we see the vaccinated behaving like idiots so that people will film them? Stupidity is the sole preserve of the antivaxxers.

And my favorite tropical spot to go on my side of the world calls it a day on Covid restrictions. Time to get life back to normal. Muy bueno!

Now if only Thailand would get their ass in gear and do the same.
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, fygjam said:

The latest antic by an antivaxx loon.

A Delta Air Lines passenger is facing federal charges after he allegedly tried to open an emergency
door in-flight in the hope that other passengers would record him sharing his views on coronavirus
vaccines, prosecutors announced Monday.

Michael Brandon Demarre, 32, was on a Friday flight from Salt Lake City to Portland, Oregon,
when he removed a plastic covering over the handle on the aircraft's emergency exit and forcefully
pulled on the handle, Justice Department officials wrote in a news release. After a flight attendant
intervened and demanded he let go of the handle, Demarre complied and was physically restrained
by the flight crew, officials say.

When asked why he attempted to open the emergency door in-flight, the Portland resident told
police he hoped passengers onboard would start filming him so he had "the opportunity to share
his thoughts on covid-19 vaccines," according to an affidavit from FBI agent Adam Hoover. In a
passenger video obtained by the Register-Guard, Demarre is seen yelling, "We're all being lied to,"
and muttering about coronavirus vaccines as he is taken off the plane by authorities.

"Once in Portland, Demarre told officers he created the disturbance so other passengers would
video record him sharing his personal views," the Justice Department wrote.

Demarre is charged with threatening to interfere and interfering with a flight crew and attendants.
He could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted, according to US law.

https://www.traveller.com.au/delta-passengers-hear-loud-air-whooshing-as-antivaxxer-attempts-to-open-plane-door-h21rt0

Do we see the vaccinated behaving like idiots so that people will film them? Stupidity is the sole preserve of the antivaxxers.

With any luck, he will have plenty of time to share his views in the communal showers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hang on to your jockstrap, we ain't out of this yet.

The BA.2 virus -- a subvariant of the Omicron coronavirus variant -- isn't just spreading faster than its distant cousin, it may also cause more severe disease and appears capable of thwarting some of the key weapons we have against Covid-19, new research suggests.

"It might be, from a human's perspective, a worse virus than BA.1 and might be able to transmit better and cause worse disease," says Dr. Daniel Rhoads....

BA.2 is about 30% to 50% more contagious than Omicron. It has been detected in 74 countries and 47 US states.

But there was a bright spot: Antibodies in the blood of people who'd recently had Omicron also seemed to have some protection against BA.2, especially if they'd also been vaccinated. 

"Our immune system is evolving as well. And so that's pushing back on things..."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/health/ba-2-covid-severity/index.html

4 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

The BA.2 virus -- a subvariant of the Omicron coronavirus variant -- isn't just spreading faster than its distant cousin, it may also cause more severe disease and appears capable of thwarting some of the key weapons we have against Covid-19, new research suggests.

"It might be, from a human's perspective, a worse virus than BA.1 and might be able to transmit better and cause worse disease," says Dr. Daniel Rhoads....

BA.2 is about 30% to 50% more contagious than Omicron. It has been detected in 74 countries and 47 US states.

But there was a bright spot: Antibodies in the blood of people who'd recently had Omicron also seemed to have some protection against BA.2, especially if they'd also been vaccinated. 

"Our immune system is evolving as well. And so that's pushing back on things..."

Important to note the study has not been peer reviewed. Thus most of the points the article tried to make were prefaced with the word "may", "might", or "appears". Of course that salient point will be lost on most of the readers of the article.

• Like 1

If you haven't yet...time to get vaccinated against Covid.

. . .

COVID Won’t End Up Like the Flu. It Will Be Like Smoking.
Hundreds of thousands of deaths, from either tobacco or the pandemic, could be prevented with a single behavioral change.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/02/covid-anti-vaccine-smoking/622819/

... The pandemic’s greatest source of danger has transformed from a pathogen into a behavior. Choosing not to get vaccinated against COVID is, right now, a modifiable health risk on par with smoking, which kills more than 400,000 people each year in the United States. Andrew Noymer, a public-health professor at UC Irvine, told me that if COVID continues to account for a few hundred thousand American deaths every year—“a realistic worst-case scenario,” he calls it—that would wipe out all of the life-expectancy gains we’ve accrued from the past two decades’ worth of smoking-prevention efforts.

The COVID vaccines are, without exaggeration, among the safest and most effective therapies in all of modern medicine. An unvaccinated adult is an astonishing 68 times more likely to die from COVID than a boosted one. Yet widespread vaccine hesitancy in the United States has caused more than 163,000 preventable deaths and counting. Because too few people are vaccinated, COVID surges still overwhelm hospitals—interfering with routine medical services and leading to thousands of lives lost from other conditions...

... The same arguments apply to tobacco: Smokers are 15 to 30 times more likely to develop lung cancer. Quitting the habit is akin to receiving a staggeringly powerful medicine, one that wipes out most of this excess risk. Yet smokers, like those who now refuse vaccines, often continue their dangerous lifestyle in the face of aggressive attempts to persuade them otherwise. Even in absolute numbers, America’s unvaccinated and current-smoker populations seem to match up rather well: Right now, the CDC pegs them at 13 percent and 14 percent of all U.S. adults, respectively, and both groups are likely to be poorer and less educated...

10 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Important to note the study has not been peer reviewed. Thus most of the points the article tried to make were prefaced with the word "may", "might", or "appears". Of course that salient point will be lost on most of the readers of the article.

This 'story' is like the worst of the media scaremongering pish. 

It's been shown to be no more danger in Countries like Denmark where it's dominant. Indeed Denmark were that worried, they continued to ease all restrictions, sane as the UK where it's been for ages as well. 

The media has a lot to answer for during this debacle, whipping up hysteria in the Karen's. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Krapow said:

This 'story' is like the worst of the media scaremongering pish. 

It's been shown to be no more danger in Countries like Denmark where it's dominant. Indeed Denmark were that worried, they continued to ease all restrictions, sane as the UK where it's been for ages as well. 

The media has a lot to answer for during this debacle, whipping up hysteria in the Karen's. 

Yeah, good luck there. The most listened to talk radio host in the history of the medium in America, Rush Limbaugh, who died a year ago, many years back coined the phrase "drive by media", in describing the way they all descend like a mob on a story that they can frame the narrative as they wish, and no matter if their premise, or alleged "facts" they report to their audience that turn out to be inaccurate, they basically split the scene and move on to the next big story. 

In other words, a drive by reporting style and if the real facts come out later that totally refute what was reported, too bad, don't figure on the media to say they're sorry.

And no story exhibits that more than the Covid story.

Is it any wonder that in polls where the people are asked if they trust the media to report the news fully, fairly and accurately, a Gallup poll last October showed just 36% felt that way, the 2nd lowest recorded only behind the 32% in 2016. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there is a similar number for people in the UK.

Journalism is about the only industry I can think of offhand where the customer, the audience, is always wrong! You're right, they do have an awful lot to answer for. Just don't ever expect them to admit it.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A bit like that academic "study" released a few weeks back about how lockdowns don't work. It did not originate in a medical school (i.e., written by economists), was not sanctioned by the university it was part of (Johns Hopkins), and was not peer reviewed.

Yet, many who liked it -- mostly right wingers -- claimed it was the 'gold standard'...go figure?

The beat goes on...

. . .

What to know about a study on lockdowns and COVID-19 deaths by economists affiliated with Johns Hopkins
The paper concluded that lockdowns barely reduced deaths. It has not been peer-reviewed and other research found very different results.

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2022/what-to-know-about-a-study-on-lockdowns-and-covid-19-deaths-by-economists-affiliated-with-johns-hopkins/

... “The working paper is not a peer-reviewed scientific study, and its authors are not medical or public health researchers,” Joshua Sharfstein, vice dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, told PolitiFact in an emailed statement. “To reach their conclusion that ‘lockdowns’ had a small effect on mortality, the authors redefined the term ‘lockdown’ and disregarded many peer-reviewed studies. The working paper did not include new data, and serious questions have already been raised about its methodology.”

He added: “COVID-19 is caused by SARS-CoV-2, a respiratory virus transmitted between people. Reducing transmission of the virus leads to fewer cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Early in the pandemic, when so little was known about COVID-19, stay-at-home policies kept the virus from infecting people and saved many lives.” ...

• Great Info 1

36 minutes ago, lazarus said:

A bit like that academic "study"

Actually nothing like that academic study...

Just because it hasn't been peer reviewed doesn't mean it is wrong.

But I suggest you go and read the actual paper rather than a report by the dreadful media about the paper.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.14.480335v1.full.pdf

Below is the author list and their institutions. For those unfamiliar with an author list, the first mentioned are the people who did the actual work, the last mentioned are the heads of departments, labs etc where the work was carried out and who supervised the work.

blob.png

blob.png

Cue the roob.. to label them as glorified teachers angling for grants.

12 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Actually nothing like that academic study...

Just because it hasn't been peer reviewed doesn't mean it is wrong.

But I suggest you go and read the actual paper rather than a report by the dreadful media about the paper.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.14.480335v1.full.pdf

Below is the author list and their institutions. For those unfamiliar with an author list, the first mentioned are the people who did the actual work, the last mentioned are the heads of departments, labs etc where the work was carried out and who supervised the work.

blob.png

blob.png

Cue the roob.. to label them as glorified teachers angling for grants.

lol.... lets look at a couple of the names....lol

Izuma Kimura..... a Japanese pianist...lol

Izumi Kimura - Wikipedia

Hesham Nassar...a Youtuber...lol

Hesham Nassar - YouTube

Dear oh dear..... the laugh of the day... these two would not even qualify as glorified teachers let alone get a grant......555

Comedy gold......🤣 🤣 🤣

cheers