COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

China is in a fresh lockdown.....Lazada cant deliver my orders to Thailand...

Economy Delivery
Your parcel is on the way to Thailand.Mar.06 22:41

My package has been on the way to Thailand for almost 2 weeks now

China’s coronavirus lockdowns could trigger ‘shock waves’ across global supply chains

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3170416/chinas-coronavirus-lockdowns-could-trigger-shock-waves-across

Edited by fforest

Scotland experiencing a dead cat bounce of new covid  cases currently expected to peak within two weeks.

Yesterday received the news that Morgan, my 10 year old grandson, had contracted his second bout of covid in less than six months. Fortunately, mild cold like symptoms.

My daughter has missed attending a Company dinner /party she had bought a whole new outfit to wear for the occasion. She is not a happy bunny!

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, fforest said:

China is in a fresh lockdown.....Lazada cant deliver my orders to Thailand...

Economy Delivery
Your parcel is on the way to Thailand.Mar.06 22:41

My package has been on the way to Thailand for almost 2 weeks now

China’s coronavirus lockdowns could trigger ‘shock waves’ across global supply chains

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3170416/chinas-coronavirus-lockdowns-could-trigger-shock-waves-across

And in China the lockdowns will continue ongoing until the accept that Zero Covid is just not feasible, especially now with the new variants much more transmissible. Plus they'll have to open up at some time. Even NZ has accepted this. 

Covid's not going anywhere, most countries have now accepted this and that they need to learn to live with it. 

Funny that during the lockdown I didn't know anybody who caught covid but since that time I know quite a few including my niece who has had it three times (including right now) and my great niece who has had it twice. My cousin's son has had it recently and now my old chum, John, has it presently including a hospital visit which concluded he had covid and a chest infection needing anti biotics.

Thankfully my immediate family has not been touched.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Funny that during the lockdown I didn't know anybody who caught covid but since that time I know quite a few including my niece who has had it three times (including right now) and my great niece who has had it twice. My cousin's son has had it recently and now my old chum, John, has it presently including a hospital visit which concluded he had covid and a chest infection needing anti biotics.

Thankfully my immediate family has not been touched.

There's been kids in my daughter's school and class that've contracted it in the past few weeks. Since she returned to classes in person I've tested her at home or at clinics six times (due to either illness of reported exposure).

Over the course of the pandemic -- mainly in the beginning -- a few of my friends had it, and several family members of friends and friends of friends died.

However "controlled" it's become, the threat of "long term" Covid is real, even with Omicron. The impacts on the health care system are just beginning to be felt. Recently I made an appointment with a cardiologist and have to wait two months to see him.  See links below.

All that in mind, there are now few mask requirements where I live and no formal quarantine regulations. Personal responsibility is the word of the day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What doctors wish patients knew about long COVID

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-long-covid

Most people with COVID-19 won’t become severely ill and will often get better within weeks of illness. The odds of illness severe enough to warrant hospitalization are dramatically lowered if you stay up to date on your COVID-19 vaccine, including a booster dose.

But even a mild SARS-CoV-2 infection can cause long COVID. And with the high transmissibility of the Omicron variant—which often results in milder disease outcomes—many patients may be concerned about developing long COVID.

It is estimated that anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients might experience long COVID after recovering—even if they weren’t very sick in the first place. This leaves many COVID long-haulers with questions about symptoms and what to do...

. . .

Long-term effects of COVID-19

https://www.nhsinform.scot/long-term-effects-of-covid-19-long-covid/about-long-covid/signs-and-symptoms-of-long-covid

Breathing (respiratory symptoms)
Heart and circulation (cardiovasular symptoms)
Brain (neurological symptoms)
Digestive system (gastrointestinal symptoms)
Joints and muscles (musculoskeletal symptoms)
Mental health (psychological symptoms)
Ear, nose and throat symptoms
Skin (dermatological symptoms)

. . .

Edited by lazarus
cleaned it up a bit...
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, lazarus said:

There's been kids in my daughter's school and class that've contracted it in the past few weeks. Since she returned to classes in person I've tested her at home or at clinics six times (due to either illness of reported exposure).

Over the course of the pandemic -- mainly in the beginning -- a few of my friends had it, and several family members of friends and friends of friends died.

However "controlled" it's become, the threat of "long term" Covid is real, even with Omicron. The impacts on the health care system are just beginning to be felt. Recently I made an appointment with a cardiologist and have to wait two months to see him.  See links below.

All that in mind, there are now few mask requirements where I live and no formal quarantine regulations. Personal responsibility is the word of the day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What doctors wish patients knew about long COVID

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-long-covid

Most people with COVID-19 won’t become severely ill and will often get better within weeks of illness. The odds of illness severe enough to warrant hospitalization are dramatically lowered if you stay up to date on your COVID-19 vaccine, including a booster dose.

But even a mild SARS-CoV-2 infection can cause long COVID. And with the high transmissibility of the Omicron variant—which often results in milder disease outcomes—many patients may be concerned about developing long COVID.

It is estimated that anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients might experience long COVID after recovering—even if they weren’t very sick in the first place. This leaves many COVID long-haulers with questions about symptoms and what to do...

. . .

Long-term effects of COVID-19

https://www.nhsinform.scot/long-term-effects-of-covid-19-long-covid/about-long-covid/signs-and-symptoms-of-long-covid

. . .

As a person who has had open heart surgery and is on heart tablets to regulate rhythm and blood thinners I try to take care of myself.  If I am honest getting covid doesn't concern me as much as the possibilities of issues with long covid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Long-term effects of COVID-1

. . .

I've got all of those and I haven't even had Covid😳

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

And in China the lockdowns will continue ongoing until the accept that Zero Covid is just not feasible, especially now with the new variants much more transmissible.

I find it very strange the way the Chinese are proceeding. Could they know something about this virus that the rest of the world doesn't? If so, how could that have happened? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I find it very strange the way the Chinese are proceeding. Could they know something about this virus that the rest of the world doesn't? If so, how could that have happened? 

Yeah...that it'll kill old farts quicker than shit if left to run unchecked through society...

Take a look at what's happened in the US:

Capture3.JPG

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge

Edited by lazarus

33 minutes ago, Bazle said:

The fact that "made in China" was stamped on most of the UK's NHS boxes of antigen test kits with a "Use By" date of 1st Jan 2017 does make one suspicious.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

As a person who has had open heart surgery and is on heart tablets to regulate rhythm and blood thinners I try to take care of myself.  If I am honest getting covid doesn't concern me as much as the possibilities of issues with long covid.

If I am honest getting covid doesn't concern me as much as becoming a covid sheep...  

BA mask debacle sorted

"After triumphantly announcing they would remove masks on flights, BA yesterday did an embarrassing u-turn and asked crew to stick to the old mandatory mask policy. Yet their social media posts advising that masks were no longer required remained up. Onboard policies varied with some handed masks at the gate and others allowed to board maskless. Finally, today BA announced that the compliance issues causing the confusion had been resolved and they were back to no masks on most routes except those legally requiring a mask. However, there is no list of routes where you need a mask. BA will advise you at the airport. I predict a lot of confusion!

So the best thing to do is have a couple of masks with you and ask at check-in. The US is definitely a destination that requires masks until at least 18 April. I’m also aware that Italy, Germany, Scotland, and Austria require masks but there may be more. "

• Like 3

Yesterday we finally had our mask mandate and other restrictions lifted; I visited three pubs  and nobody was wearing them, what a great difference. I thought of it as "Facial Freedom" day; they also lifted the vaccination proof mandate and there were a few familiar faces returning to the pubs that we hadn't seen for a while since they refused the vac's. Some were feeling pretty smug about it but they may change their tune if they do indeed catch the virus - up to them, I guess. Frankly, there were one or two individuals that it was nice to not see for a while -  the usual "know-it-all" or otherwise obnoxious types but I'll just ignore them like I did before. There are still mask rules in some places like medical related establishments and federally-controlled spaces such as airports but I can live with that - I guess I won't be burning my mask just yet because I'm off to Vancouver for a short break next week...

• Like 5

meh...

‘Perfect storm’ is causing a new COVID wave in Europe. Should California be worried?

Omciron variant BA.2 has been doubling in prevalence every week in the U.K.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/covid-variant-ba2-surge-17002264.php

... in tandem with the rise of the highly transmissible omicron BA.2 subvariant, cases in the U.K. have begun to rise steadily, growing from a recent low of about 49 per 100,000 people on Feb. 28 to 86.8 per 100,000 reported on March 12, according to Our World in Data. In the U.S. on those dates, the rate declined from 20 per 100,000 to 10.8 per 100,000.

BA.2 is now the dominant variant in England, Northern Ireland and Scotland, according to Britain’s Office for National Statistics. In the U.S., it accounted for 11.6% of COVID-19 cases in the week ending March 5, an increase from 6.6% in the previous week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ...

What precautions should people take?

While widespread COVID restrictions might not return, Chin-Hong and Swartzberg still recommended wearing high-quality masks in crowded indoor settings as cases continue to come down, especially for unvaccinated, elderly and immunocompromised individuals.

“The U.K. has often been a forerunner of what happens in the U.S. and more specifically California and the Bay Area,” Swartzberg said. “The rise in omicron cases recently in the U.K., coincident with the rise in the percentage of BA.2, is a warning for us to proceed cautiously with abandoning precautions.”

Britain has announced that second vaccine booster shots will be available in the spring to people 75 and older, elderly care home residents, and people 12 and older who are immunosuppressed...

Confirmation of an AY.4/BA.1 recombinant first
detected in France

First solid evidence for a Delta-Omicron recombinant virus has been
shared by Institut Pasteur via GISAID (EPI_ISL_10819657 incl. raw reads).
The analysis provides definite confirmation of the structure of a
recombinant virus derived from the GK/AY.4 and GRA/BA.1 lineages.

This recombinant virus identified in several regions of France by the
EMERGEN consortium has been circulating since early January 2022
and genomes with a similar profile have been also identified in Denmark
and The Netherlands. Further investigations are needed to determine if
these recombinants derive from a single common ancestor or could
result from multiple similar recombination events.

https://www.gisaid.org/

My wife, child, brother, niece and best mate have covid and it ain't Omicron because, if it is, it isn't mild. Other than my daughter the others have really got it bad including one calling an ambulance. My wife is really low with bad headaches and difficulty breathing with ease. My brother is confined to a room in Plane France unable to ski after getting covid on his 2nd day in the resort.

I have tested negative again today and am keeping well away from my wife and daughter, bugger the idea of catching it to get the thing over with.

Edit 22 Mar 22:  another best mate has tested positive and last night my brother tells me my nephew has now tested positive. My daughter is still positive (day 5 test) but thankfully, so far, I am testing negative again.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Sad 6