COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Great news in the morning papers on the oxford vaccine..millions to receive oxford jab from January 4th..efficacy now being reported on par with the Pfizer and moderna..this jab will be really helpful to the 3rd world countries. A chink of light on the horizon..

51 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Great news in the morning papers on the oxford vaccine..millions to receive oxford jab from January 4th..efficacy now being reported on par with the Pfizer and moderna..this jab will be really helpful to the 3rd world countries. A chink of light on the horizon..

...but I wonder how we'll be able to get it in Thailand? You can bet that elderly farangs won't be high on their list of priorities, if they're even on the list at all, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they say all the vaccine is for Thai people only. I guess our best hope is that the private hospitals manage to source some eventually, and then we can pay through the nose for a couple of jabs. But with stories in the paper saying that even the rich in the West who are trying to buy some for themselves can't get hold of it, I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Confused 1

Something new ? After the Covid sniffing dogs, we have now a machine ?

A bit sceptical, and I couldn't find much on the net about it ....

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/12/27/locally-made-covid-19-detector-approved-by-health-ministry.html

https://www.ugm.ac.id/en/news/20122-ugm-genose-can-detect-covid-19-less-than-2-minutes

Maybe basically a saliva / breath analyser directly linked with a software on a laptop ? 

1 hour ago, Washedup said:

California getting hit..some hospitals forced to treat patients in parking lot tents..its bloody good job its sunny..

To me that makes a lot of sense, and Reno converted a parking garage to a Covid unit.

The need to isolate and keep negative air pressure on the patients makes it difficult, even when they are not overwhelmed.

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Something new ? After the Covid sniffing dogs, we have now a machine ?

A bit sceptical, and I couldn't find much on the net about it ....

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/12/27/locally-made-covid-19-detector-approved-by-health-ministry.html

https://www.ugm.ac.id/en/news/20122-ugm-genose-can-detect-covid-19-less-than-2-minutes

Maybe basically a saliva / breath analyser directly linked with a software on a laptop ? 

GT200 and the Alpha-6...

Business opportunity.

• Haha 1

US..California hospitals rapidly running out of room..Survey : many Californians ignoring health warnings.. 

UK..paramedics in London are now receiving almost 8000 call outs a day with Saturday described as one of London ambulance service's busiest  in history..

Englands hospitals have more covid patients than ever before with London teetering on the edge.. i can see England going into lockdown this week, hate to think what the numbers will be like next week when the mixing at Christmas comes into play. Better Hold fast 

11 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Englands hospitals have more covid patients than ever before with London teetering on the edge.. i can see England going into lockdown this week, hate to think what the numbers will be like next week when the mixing at Christmas comes into play. Better Hold fast 

New Year would have been the greatest danger and still maybe.But with mass social gatherings, pubs, clubs and bars closed, I still suspect that some will hold private parties. NYE is not a religious festivity and not much to celebrate this year, considering 2020. 

17 minutes ago, Washedup said:

I read an article the other day that quoted the city MP as saying the covid ward in my local hospital was 200% full.

Having my doubts, I rang a friend who is an admin officer at the same hospital.  Apparently it's worse. As I understood what he said, if the covid ward (which of course didnt exist a year ago) is filled, covid patients take over other wards. As the patients in these overspill covid wards leave, their beds cannot be filled with a general patient, and so beds are seen as being empty. It's only when a ward is completely empty of covid patients that it can be returned to it's original purpose.

• Great Info 1
  • Surprised 1

4 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Russia admits to worlds third worst covid 19 death toll..more than 186,000 Russians have died due to coronavirus..

Population 144 million (2018) 

186.000 : 144 M = 0,13 %

Annual death rate 2019 : 12,8 / 1.000 

https://knoema.com/atlas/Russian-Federation/Death-rate

12,8 : 1000 x 144 M =1.843.000 annual deaths

So, 186.000 Covid death represents approx a 10% excess death.

Just a rough, back of the enveloppe, calculation but in fact this would be way less per capita than the US, UK or France.

But I am a bit sceptical about that 186 k number. Russian data ......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/28/dozen-britons-remain-in-quarantine-in-swiss-ski-resort-verbier-covid

Only about a dozen British tourists out of about 420 appear to be left in the Swiss ski resort of Verbier after an undisclosed number fled a mandatory quarantine, many under cover of darkness, risking a 10,000 Swiss franc fine (£8,300) and drawing widespread condemnation on social media.

Asked about the runaway tourists, the Swiss health minister, Alain Berset, said: “We are aware of that. It’s obviously a problem. There was an order to quarantine that has not been respected.”

He added: “One shouldn’t underestimate what an impossible situation it was. We had to decide within hours what to do … That things don’t work perfectly in such a situation, that problems surface, is a reality we have to live with.”

While some Swiss officials were sympathetic to the British skiers who quietly escaped rather than comply with Switzerland’s new quarantine rules for citizens from the UK and South Africa, after the discovery of a new highly contagious variant of coronavirus, commentators on Twitter were less kind, focusing on the wealth and entitlement of the skiers.

It also appeared that some of the skiers may have ignored UK advice on not travelling abroad as part of the new restrictions announced before Christmas

• Surprised 1

14 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/28/dozen-britons-remain-in-quarantine-in-swiss-ski-resort-verbier-covid

Only about a dozen British tourists out of about 420 appear to be left in the Swiss ski resort of Verbier after an undisclosed number fled a mandatory quarantine, many under cover of darkness, risking a 10,000 Swiss franc fine (£8,300) and drawing widespread condemnation on social media.

Asked about the runaway tourists, the Swiss health minister, Alain Berset, said: “We are aware of that. It’s obviously a problem. There was an order to quarantine that has not been respected.”

He added: “One shouldn’t underestimate what an impossible situation it was. We had to decide within hours what to do … That things don’t work perfectly in such a situation, that problems surface, is a reality we have to live with.”

While some Swiss officials were sympathetic to the British skiers who quietly escaped rather than comply with Switzerland’s new quarantine rules for citizens from the UK and South Africa, after the discovery of a new highly contagious variant of coronavirus, commentators on Twitter were less kind, focusing on the wealth and entitlement of the skiers.

It also appeared that some of the skiers may have ignored UK advice on not travelling abroad as part of the new restrictions announced before Christmas

Naah, Guardian is leftist, Remainers rag ...all lies !

More seriously, I would have done the same.

FFS, you arrive on holiday and 48h later  the country you stay in decides to retroactively put you in quarantaine ? 

Good too see they found refuge in France ! We have a long tradition of helping refugees in need .....😁😁😁😁😁

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Population 144 million (2018) 

186.000 : 144 M = 0,13 %

Annual death rate 2019 : 12,8 / 1.000 

https://knoema.com/atlas/Russian-Federation/Death-rate

12,8 : 1000 x 144 M =1.843.000 annual deaths

So, 186.000 Covid death represents approx a 10% excess death.

Just a rough, back of the enveloppe, calculation but in fact this would be way less per capita than the US, UK or France.

But I am a bit sceptical about that 186 k number. Russian data ......

Good calculation. 

The 186K aren't necessarily excess deaths though. More data would be required to determine they wouldn't otherwise have been part of the 100%, and you'd need to compare average number of deaths of the last 10 years to see whether the past years' flu seasons have been exceptionally "mild" like they were in many European countries, which sort of created a "backlog". 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Esco said:

Good calculation. 

The 186K aren't necessarily excess deaths though. More data would be required to determine they wouldn't otherwise have been part of the 100%, and you'd need to compare average number of deaths of the last 10 years to see whether the past years' flu seasons have been exceptionally "mild" like they were in many European countries, which sort of created a "backlog". 

Agreed, but as I said, just a napkin calculation without digging deeper.

I follow a little more deeply France, UK and Belgium situations as for those three, detailed numbers are available on government websites with previous years numbers and the data behind the charts downloadable in Excel format.

But hey, it's not like I am spending hours and hours on it every week ....

Just keeping the brain spinning a bit ! 

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Morons and selfish kunts everywhere.

Unfortunately can't be detected with a PCR test.

Reading the nearly daily alarming news bulletin about the NHS being overstretched, at the limit etc, I tried to compare the number of hospitalizations / situation between UK and France, as we don't hear those "near panic" cries from our public hospital system.

From today's Guardian :

NHS England said it now has more Covid-19 patients in hospital than at the peak of the first wave – 20,426 as of 8am on Monday, surpassing April’s high of 18,946 on 12 April. Health officials in Wales and Scotland have also said they fear becoming overwhelmed.

Or another one :

'Resilience is running out': NHS workers brace for another Covid surge | Coronavirus | The Guardian

Now compare with  France's number.

- Number of Covid hospitalizations (Metropolitan France + overseas departments). Numbers are a bit higher 25k vs 20k

Tx hospitalisation 201227 FR.jpg

- Number of people in reanimation / Intensive Care / Continuous monitoring

I took 2 different sources, and they match. 2.700 people in Rea / IC / CM

Note the explanation of the counting (sr/sio/sc), which may be different than NHS ?

"Since the beginning of hospital monitoring via SI-VIC, the definition of admission to reanimation applies to hospitalized patients developing a severe form and admitted to reanimation (SR), intensive care unit (SI) or continuous monitoring unit (SC), without specifying the type of service."

Another thing is from what I heard / read, people are only really critical cases  are put in reanimation (under oxygen), as doctors agree that this is a very "heavy" treatment and that even for those who come out of it "healed" there are nearly always long term sequels.

Tx reanimation 201227 FR B.jpg

Tx reanimation 201227 FR.jpg

- Occupation rate of Reanimation / ICU / continuous monitoring  is 52% :

NOTE :

- 63% are 65 +

- median age is 68 (74 for those who die)

- 89% present at least one comorbidity. 46% for obesity, 45% for hyper blood tension, 31% for diabetes. 

Tx occupation lirs rea 201216.jpg 

I tried to find some similar charts / data on the NHS website but couldn't find anything. Only info I got is from papers and news sites. 

If anybody knows where I can find it ?

OK, back to my stock market charts now ......

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Reading the nearly daily alarming news bulletin about the NHS being overstretched, at the limit etc, I tried to compare the number of hospitalizations / situation between UK and France, as we don't hear those "near panic" cries from our public hospital system.

From today's Guardian :

NHS England said it now has more Covid-19 patients in hospital than at the peak of the first wave – 20,426 as of 8am on Monday, surpassing April’s high of 18,946 on 12 April. Health officials in Wales and Scotland have also said they fear becoming overwhelmed.

Or another one :

'Resilience is running out': NHS workers brace for another Covid surge | Coronavirus | The Guardian

Now compare with  France's number.

- Number of Covid hospitalizations (Metropolitan France + overseas departments). Numbers are a bit higher 25k vs 20k

Tx hospitalisation 201227 FR.jpg

- Number of people in reanimation / Intensive Care / Continuous monitoring

I took 2 different sources, and they match. 2.700 people in Rea / IC / CM

Note the explanation of the counting (sr/sio/sc), which may be different than NHS ?

"Since the beginning of hospital monitoring via SI-VIC, the definition of admission to reanimation applies to hospitalized patients developing a severe form and admitted to reanimation (SR), intensive care unit (SI) or continuous monitoring unit (SC), without specifying the type of service."

Another thing is from what I heard / read, people are only really critical cases  are put in reanimation (under oxygen), as doctors agree that this is a very "heavy" treatment and that even for those who come out of it "healed" there are nearly always long term sequels.

Tx reanimation 201227 FR B.jpg

Tx reanimation 201227 FR.jpg

- Occupation rate of Reanimation / ICU / continuous monitoring  is 52% :

NOTE :

- 63% are 65 +

- median age is 68 (74 for those who die)

- 89% present at least one comorbidity. 46% for obesity, 45% for hyper blood tension, 31% for diabetes. 

Tx occupation lirs rea 201216.jpg 

I tried to find some similar charts / data on the NHS website but couldn't find anything. Only info I got is from papers and news sites. 

If anybody knows where I can find it ?

OK, back to my stock market charts now ......

This 89% is a staggering percentage not to be brushed over, and let's not forget these 3 "lifestyle diseases" often accompany each other. 

• Like 1