Chatuchak Market bankrupt?

KWA

Girlfriend is telling me about something on Thai news saying Chatuchak Market is to go bankrupt.  Google could only find this:

which indicates the same, but has anybody got any other info?  Is it bankrupt, closed for good, bankruptcy protection, just Thai gossip or what??

dont know re the market but unlike the UK, thailand has two types of Brpt..  ( like US chapter 7 and 13)

thai airways filed yesterday, basically to keep creditors at bay and try to restructure, 

in the Uk its different, if you go tits up, thats it.

How could it go bankrupt.....Almost every foot of the place is covered by vendors.....And the buildings are nothing fancy.....

I will say the whole market has been under the watchful eye of speculators for a while now who would I am sure love to see it go bankrupt.....

It is a very cool market.....

Edited by fforest

After doing some high level Google research 😉,  Chatuchak is owned by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).Given the SRT is state owned, you'd think it would be safe 😁 but seems they have huge debts 100 billion baht🤯- source 14th April Bangkok Post

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1899165/new-srt-chief-vows-to-cut-debt

With their revenues down owing to "events" is the state refusing to bail it out??

I'd be appalled to see it go, though the animal section needs closing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was there today and it was very busy..There seemed to be a lot of buying. Went a couple of weekends ago to the Weekend market and only about 50% of the vendors where there but heard past weekend was much better. Not very crowded but did have people buying.

As far as SRT debt Chatuchuk and other lands they have markets on ,is just some extra cash the have to spend around as tribute. Past couple of months with vendors not paying rent , the Chatuchak operators could not send it upstairs.

The real debt is a trap set by their B&RI (china) friends.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 11:22 PM, fforest said:

How could it go bankrupt.....Almost every foot of the place is covered by vendors.....And the buildings are nothing fancy.....

I will say the whole market has been under the watchful eye of speculators for a while now who would I am sure love to see it go bankrupt.....

It is a very cool market.....

I've been there a few times, but I have to laugh at the term "cool" (yes, I understand the slang).   It's a very interesting market but I was bathing in sweat by the end of my visits.

• Like 2

Only been once to a market in Bangkok.

Had my wallet dipped from a zipped pocket in my cargo shorts.

Had it returned two weeks later through a very roundabout route starting with a cleaner who found it in a rubbish bin.

With the exception of cash, everything still in the wallet, including credit & bank cards and two brand new driving licences.