Some unsettling news regarding Tourism (X Post)

Butch

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

a lot of expats here work abroad offshore.

Yes Tommy, I know. Although probably less than 25 y ago, the OS sector has taken a bug hit recently.

But it's part of the risk of deciding to live / be based / retire in an exotic country. 

I have over 30 years of expatriation behind me. Pretty well worked out most of the time, but even now I am still fully aware of the risk.

But that's another debate / thread.

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

This thing is here to stay. Same as the flu and plenty other things.

So, or we shrug it off and live with it or we continue this masquerade and destruction of social life forever. .

Vaccin or not ... 

In a few year, this will just be another thing in history books, and on Wiki.

Couldnt agree more Spice......we've got to move on now deaths or no deaths.

Anyone actually know someone who has officially died from Covid ??  Personally I dont from friends or friends of friends or in fact even anyone who was diagnosed with it but fully recovered ??

1 hour ago, RR007 said:

Couldnt agree more Spice......we've got to move on now deaths or no deaths.

Anyone actually know someone who has officially died from Covid ??  Personally I dont from friends or friends of friends or in fact even anyone who was diagnosed with it but fully recovered ??

Same. And in the village the missus comment is "no virus here, everybody live same before"

I mean going to the mosque 5 x per day, wedding ceremonies, market, etc....

Discussed with the owner of the resort where I live, cant print here what he said.

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

Although that was just an individual sounding off realistically would anybody be surprised if it turned out to be true?

It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being Feb 2021 before general tourism was allowed, but my point was nobody in their right mind would announce that 5-6 months in advance.

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

It will be September soon and there does not look like there will be any likelyhood at all of general tourism returning this year now does there?

That's still 4 months - again not realistic to announce anything right now for year end, it'll be a month-by-month decision. Maybe even week by week (or in UK's case, day by day).

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

As for high season - what high season?

It's still the high season and any country will want to maximise that, especially after being locked down for 6 months. Creative countries would offer incentives to attract foreign visitors.

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

It is all too easy to forget that prior to Covid19 the last couple of years or so as far as Pattaya is concerned high season was barely a couple of weeks either side of the New Year. The strength of the baht and economic uncertainty in the "western world"  was largely responsible and that has not changed at all.

High season is still the best chance Thailand has of making some kind of economic recovery. Ironically, particularly in UK, furloughed workers are actually better off having stayed at home for 5 months. I have a few mates ready to jump on a plane to Thailand as soon as it's possible - they're fed up being cocooned and when the bad weather comes (which won't be long) they, and many others I'm sure, will head off somewhere for some sunshine and fun.

While Thailand has obviously done a good job (plus had a bit of luck) controlling Covid, but if it doesn't open up in the relatively near future, to some degree, I can see the internal protests escalating and becoming a real problem for the Junta. I really don't know how many workers, in Pattaya in particular, have survived for 5 months with zero income. Sure, many have gone back to the family in Isaan, but many of these people are the primary bread-winner for the family.

There must be a shed-load of western sponsors helping out I reckon . . . 😉

Edited by Britboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Britboy said:

I

igh season is still the best chance Thailand has of making some kind of economic recovery. Ironically, particularly in UK, furloughed workers are actually better off having stayed at home for 5 months. I have a few mates ready to jump on a plane to Thailand as soon as it's possible - they're fed up being cocooned and when the bad weather comes (which won't be long) they, and many others I'm sure, will head off somewhere for some sunshine and fun.

I doubt if your mates are going to enjoy spending two weeks stuck in a designated hotel  paying 50K for the experience.

They would be better off in Magaluf.

Hang about - that's been stopped as well. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I doubt if your mates are going to enjoy spending two weeks stuck in a designated hotel  paying 50K for the experience.

They would be better off in Magaluf.

Hang about - that's been stopped as well. 🤣

They wouldn't give a stuff about the 50k, but the 2 weeks they certainly would . . 😩

If Thailand is a no-go when the colder weather comes, they'll just go somewhere else, exotic, with some "fun" available. Though not Magaluf, we all did that when we were 18. Fish & Chips and Kiss Me Quick hats are long in the past . . 😉

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Britboy said:

They wouldn't give a stuff about the 50k, but the 2 weeks they certainly would . . 😩

If Thailand is a no-go when the colder weather comes, they'll just go somewhere else, exotic, with some "fun" available. Though not Magaluf, we all did that when we were 18. Fish & Chips and Kiss Me Quick hats are long in the past . . 😉

Unlike my two children who were 18 months and 3 years old respectively, I was 22 years old when I first flew on a "Dan Air Dive Bomber" from Luton Airport but the destination was  Benidorm not Magaluf. I do however still remember the "Quack/Quack " bar in Magaluf as a haven of debauchery for like minded Brits. 🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jambo said:

Unlike my two children who were 18 months and 3 years old respectively, I was 22 years old when I first flew on a "Dan Air Dive Bomber" from Luton Airport but the destination was  Benidorm not Magaluf. I do however still remember the "Quack/Quack " bar in Magaluf as a haven of debauchery for like minded Brits. 🤣

Yeah, Dan Dare - I remember that crappy airline very well.

Lloret de Mar was the destination when I was 17 and 18, two trips with two different sets of mates. First holidays away and what a ball we had.

Going through my storage stuff have found all my old pics and ironically found some of those trips.

Very sad in some ways. That's me on the left but my mate Paul, on the right, who stayed a life-long friend, died 3 years ago, aged 59. Awful.

Dave07.JPG

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Lloret de Mar was the destination when I was 17 and 18, two trips with two different sets of mates. First holidays away and what a ball we had.

Going through my storage stuff have found all my old pics and ironically found some of those trips.

Very sad in some ways. That's me on the left but my mate Paul, on the right, who stayed a life-long friend, died 3 years ago, aged 59. Awful.

Dave07.JPG

Lost a couple of friends over the last few years. Still got loads of photos from 10-30 holidays.

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

Dave07.JPG

Do you still have your long hair like me? 🤣

IMG_20200819_120634.jpg

Put on a pound or two over the years! 😀

Sorry to read about your friend.

Edited by Jambo
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

IMG_20200819_120634.jpg

Thanks for the condolences. Such a great mate, left his wife (from Peru) and 3 kids devastated. We had such a laugh over the years.

As to your question about my hair, unfortunately all those golden locks have gone down thousands of different plug-holes over the years. As you'll probably remember when we had a couple of beers together at Le Pub, it's a grey no. 1 these days, for what's left of it . . 😩

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 10:39 AM, Jambo said:

IMG_20200819_120634.jpg

You look like Ray Davies of the Kinks .......... you must have seen him growing up round our way. Muswell Hillbilly and lived in Highgate.

Anyway my hair was longer than you two .......... nipple length in 1974. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1