You Tube (Threads Merged)

Anwar Sadat

On 12/2/2023 at 6:53 PM, lazarus said:

American heifers... 🐮

On 12/3/2023 at 8:51 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Deffo not for me, ''waiting 2 hours to get into bars'' :default_ermm:

Massive shithole (no offense to those who like the place). Never been there.

The only reason I would consider going there would be that LAS is probably the nearest airport for getting to the Grand Canyon. I'd like to see it one more time before I bite the dust. I last saw it when I was seven years old. I have since travelled to many places througout the World, seen many cool things. Yet, to this day, nothing comes close to the breathtaking beauty and impact of the Grand Canyon.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

The only reason I would consider going there would be that LAS is probably the nearest airport for getting to the Grand Canyon. I'd like to see it one more time before I bite the dust. I last saw it when I was seven years old. I have since travelled to many places througout the World, seen many cool things. Yet, to this day, nothing comes close to the breathtaking beauty and impact of the Grand Canyon.

Yes, The Grand Canyon is one of the truly amazing places on earth. I hope to get back there someday soon to show my daughter.

Here's me rowing through Lava Falls back in 2000. I was on an 18-day 'private' trip with 9 river rafting friends. They sent me through every big rapid first to see what might happen... 🙂

Lava Falls.jpg

Edited by lazarus
row, row, row your boat...
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yes, The Grand Canyon is one of the truly amazing places on earth. I hope to get back there someday soon to show my daughter.

Here's me rowing through Lava Falls back in 2000. I was on an 18-day 'private' trip with 9 river rafting friends. They sent me through every big rapid first to see what might happen... 🙂

Lava Falls.jpg

Man Laz. That is some major league stuff, for sure.     :default_bow:

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

... They sent me through every big rapid first to see what might happen... 

We called that person the "stick". Toss the stick/boater into the water and if he went through the drop and came out the otherside upright and unbroken we knew we had a good line to follow.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

We called that person the "stick". Toss the stick/boater into the water and if he went through the drop and came out the otherside upright and unbroken we knew we had a good line to follow.

You're the stick.

Well you can stick it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Went down the Chattooga River in Northern Georgia. Same section where "Deliverance" was filmed. It was incredible. Not easy stuff for even those who are in great shape.

Ran the Chattooga many times. Deliverance was filmed on the easier section, section 4. We would put in and run from section 3 to Lake Tugalo.

I really enjoyed running the rivers of the east. Most are drop, pool rapids so you can catch your breath between drops.

For continuous big whitewater, western rivers are where it's at. The north fork of the Payette river is a good example. Not particularly dangerous for experienced boaters, but if you didn't have a solid roll and came out your boat you were in for a long swim.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Ran the Chattooga many times. Deliverance was filmed on the easier section, section 4. We would put in and run from section 3 to Lake Tugalo.

I really enjoyed running the rivers of the east. Most are drop, pool rapids so you can catch your breath between drops.

For continuous big whitewater, western rivers are where it's at. The north fork of the Payette river is a good example. Not particularly dangerous for experienced boaters, but if you didn't have a solid roll and came out your boat you were in for a long swim.

Never did a Western river. 

On the trip I mentioned we rolled and went under, but were able to pull it together. It was an exhilerating experience, yet one of those things that helps to reinforce the power of nature. 

I was with my brother when we rolled. Jesus Christ I miss him.

• Thumbs Up 1

John Bardeen was a professor at the University of Illinois, electrical engineering. Nobel Peace Prize recipiant, and probably one of the top five most highly regarded persons ever associated with the UI.

He was the key player in the development of the transitor, which created a technological and economic revolution of sorts.

Obviously there have been many other tech advances that followed. But the transistor was the key development that sparked huge advances in tech. 

Some of us are old enough to have once listened to a ball game on a little radio that was designed and built with transistors. But, we were too young to understand the significance and changes (good, bad or indifferent) those little gizmos would have on our future lives.

Now what is gaining attention is not just A.I., it is something much more...  quantum computing (which is something I know jack squat about). But, what comes to mind.... for those who have young children who are looking at their little notepads (or whatever). Their lives will be considerably different from those of us who were listening to WLS or WGN on the transistor radio late into the night many decades ago. 

I reckon we will just have to see how things play out. Maybe I will be better off just staying ignorant of it all. Primarily because I have no control or influence relating to what is unfolding.

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

We called that person the "stick".

When I worked for a commercial companies, after I earned my 'chops' ... I was a 'lead guide.'

As a commercial guide I had thousands of miles of rivers under my belt...learned excellent whitewater skills in big water. Trained in swift water rescue and an EMT (just in case)...just in case. 😉

My friends on the Grand Canyon trip knew that I would know where to go. And that I knew how to swim... 🙂

. . .

This was one of my favorite rapids on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River (ID) where I did a lot of my guiding. I saw a lot of boats flip here in bigger water.

Another rapid that I enjoyed a number of times was Blossom Bar on the Rogue River, OR... I flipped here once at 10,000cfs -- big, big water:

Edited by lazarus
row, row, row your boat...
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, lazarus said:

When I worked for a commercial companies, after I earned my 'chops' ... I was a 'lead guide.'

As a commercial guide I had thousands of miles of rivers under my belt...learned excellent whitewater skills in big water. Trained in swift water rescue and an EMT (just in case)...just in case. 😉

My friends on the Grand Canyon trip knew that I would know where to go. And that I knew how to swim... 🙂

. . .

This was one of my favorite rapids on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River (ID) where I did a lot of my guiding. I saw a lot of boats flip here in bigger water.

Another rapid that I enjoyed a number of times was Blossom Bar on the Rogue River, OR... I flipped here once at 10,000cfs -- big, big water:

I think running the Middle Fork is high on most boaters bucket list. Almost got to check that one off in 1983. That was the year Salt Lake City flooded. Alas for the same reason SLC was underwater, the Middle Fork was unrunnable due to high water. We instead settled for a day trip running a section of the Main.

Over the years I helped a few swimmers to shore. Quite a few were rafters that got tossed out of their boat. :default_biggrin:

There was also a time when a friend that owned a rafting company was short staffed and asked me to help out as a guide for a trip down the Menominee River on the border of northern Wisconsin. It's not a very difficult river to run, so had no problem saying yes.

It's about a four hour run and I'm proud to say I didn't have any inadvertent swimmers from my raft. At the end they all congratulated me on my superb rafting skills. I'll never forget the look on their faces when they asked how long I had been a raft guide and I told them that was my first time, all my experience was in a kayak. :default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:37 PM, lazarus said:

. . .

Interesting buddy. I bet you were as strong as a bull back in those days, and probably had hand strength that could crush a brick.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:43 PM, forcebwithu said:

I think running the Middle Fork is high on most boaters bucket list. Almost got to check that one off in 1983. That was the year Salt Lake City flooded. Alas for the same reason SLC was underwater, the Middle Fork was unrunnable due to high water. We instead settled for a day trip running a section of the Main.

Over the years I helped a few swimmers to shore. Quite a few were rafters that got tossed out of their boat. :default_biggrin:

There was also a time when a friend that owned a rafting company was short staffed and asked me to help out as a guide for a trip down the Menominee River on the border of northern Wisconsin. It's not a very difficult river to run, so had no problem saying yes.

It's about a four hour run and I'm proud to say I didn't have any inadvertent swimmers from my raft. At the end they all congratulated me on my superb rafting skills. I'll never forget the look on their faces when they asked how long I had been a raft guide and I told them that was my first time, all my experience was in a kayak. :default_biggrin:

Good one man.

Funny how certain motor skills can come almost naturally for some, while others may train relentlessly and still not achieve the same degree of ability. 

It reminds me of a shotgun training course I went through in the early days. Part of the training was shooting skeet (bird shot). The training was designed as sort of a competition with some of the folks I was training with (basically gun nuts). I was ignorant of the informal competition, I just considered it as basic learning how to handle type thing. 

Out of roughly thirty guys I was the only one with a perfect score. Some of the guys were asking how many times I had handled a shotgun.

First time I said. I've never seen so many jaws drop in unison.

• Surprised 1

22 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Interesting buddy. I bet you were as strong as a bull back in those days, and probably had hand strength that could crush a brick.

Yeah...until I herniated a disc in my lower back on a Middle Fork trip...had to row & work for 6 days that way as we were in a wilderness area with no way out. I did a lot of guiding & boating after that but not any commercial wilderness trips (too much lifting heavy boats and gear).

For awhile when living in Oregon, I worked my day job M-F at a desk, then went over to the Deschutes River to guide daytrips on S/S.

It was fun while it lasted. The Grand Canyon was my last trip. There's no way to top it!

. . .

Here's a recent vdo of the current conditions on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. There's been a lot of rock slides and log jams due to a series of fires over the past few years.

I made 25 trips down the MIddle Fork...wished I could have done 100s...such an amazingly beautiful place.

Edited by lazarus
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yeah...until I herniated a disc in my lower back on a Middle Fork trip...had to row & work for 6 days that way as we were in a wilderness area with no way out. I did a lot of guiding & boating after that but not any commercial wilderness trips (too much lifting heavy boats and gear).

For awhile when living in Oregon, I worked my day job M-F at a desk, then went over to the Deschutes River to guide daytrips on S/S.

It was fun while it lasted. The Grand Canyon was my last trip. There's no way to top it!

. . .

Here's a recent vdo of the current conditions on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. There's been a lot of rock slides and log jams due to a series of fires over the past few years.

I made 25 trips down the MIddle Fork...wished I could have done 100s...such an amazingly beautiful place.

Back issues are absolute hell. 

I have always loved nature and the outdoors. But I am a pussy when it comes to going deep or serious. I just don't have the stomach for it.

You survived through that experience, you can probably handle just about anything. 

• Thanks 1

There were nights (actually high percentage of them) during the first few months of covid that I would spend most of the time on hold, or making necessary phone calls for a multitude of reasons. Often until 4 am. 

Massive, exhausting cluster fcuk. Surely brought home the recognition of how fcuked things are and how vulnerable systems and individuals can be.