Oscars Will Smith- Chris Rock……scripted or not?

Golfingboy

So I was just watching the Academy Awards, on PVR so I was probably 40 minutes behind. The sound cut out a good 20 seconds, after Chris insulted Jada Pinkett, Will’s wife. Will got up and punched him, looked scripted, but when he sits down again, he’s using profanity I could lip read “don’t talk about my f—king family” 

So for those that saw it, scripted or not? I’m not so sure…..

43 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Scripted and Fake.

Actually I don’t think so. The punch was no big deal, if Will hit him for real Chris would be in the hospital, but Jada is bald because of alopecia. He took it personally, and with his apology to the Academy and other things I just read-saw the unedited version from Japan - don’t think he was joking anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Actually I don’t think so. The punch was no big deal, if Will hit him for real Chris would be in the hospital, but Jada is bald because of alopecia. He took it personally, and with his apology to the Academy and other things I just read-saw the unedited version from Japan - don’t think he was joking anymore. 

Yep, I wasn't interested enough to do an in depth look at it ..

So perhaps I shouldn't have replied so quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep, I wasn't interested enough to do an in depth look at it ..

So perhaps I shouldn't have replied so quickly.

The more I look at it, still can’t tell if it was a punch or slap, and on the shoulder or face? 

People are really talking  about this, saying Will really ruined his reputation on what should have been his greatest night. Anyway, he and the wife have major issues- still together despite an open relationship and known cheating, a cross dressing son…..I’m reading many comments supporting Chris Rock. Even saying it’s assault and he should sue…..joke was in poor taste, BUT Will laughed at first, plus it’s Chris Rock…..he goes overboard, it’s his job

Edited by Golfingboy

The Oscar's have been a ratings disaster for the last several years thanks to all the "woke" Hollywood stars using the platform to spew their idiocy. People have grown tired of being lectured to. They just simply wanted to watch the show to see who wins. 

Having this moment happen between Will Smith and Chris Rock, a case of "black on black" crime one wit wrote online, will be the only thing talked about in the aftermath and all the winning performances will be overshadowed and forgotten.

Smith should have just rolled with it, Rock's joke was pretty funny but tame. Having a Jerry Springer moment can almost be seen as a stunt to generate interest, but Smith's yelling out to Rock on stage after his love tap, clearly being heard throughout the venue by all in attendance, looks like it was very real.

Gonna be some serious damage control being done in the next few days by the publicists and I think Rock just got a boost with this incident and now has new material to add a good 20 minutes to his stand up.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Mr. Smooth I actually started watching it just before the incident, then until the end, then from the beginning. It’s clear there was an agenda there, with the Williams sisters and then a Beyonce performance. I don’t care if Will Smith was up for best actor for playing their father…..when was the last time time an athlete spoke at the Oscars? It’s out of place, at least historically. It’s not the ESPYS….

I also saw that Supporting Actress was awarded early on, and never even heard of the Black woman who won. Happy to see deaf man win for Coda, will be watching that soon. Anyway, this woke BS has gone too far, sadly there’s no turning back. Starting in 2024, the only Best Picture nominees that have a chance are those featuring minorities or gays???? WTF is that. 

Yes minorities were overlooked by the Academy many times, but now they are planning to award inferior performances, like affirmative action? Too much of a 180. 

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yep - Will Smith slapped Rock - and he deserved it. There was also a verbal exchange afterwards (sound stopped) and I dont think Will was saying kind words to him.  Good to see - comedians insulting people for laughs should be held more accountable. I dont like Will Smith but I must say he has grown positively in my mind - good for him.

Dune won many wards- and it deserved them.  But it grossed almost $400 million less than the crap Spiderman - No Way Home rubbish.   With the upcoming mandatory gender and woke crap, and the infantile audiences who actually pay to be in a movie theatre these days, have doomed the movies.  The best film was a streaming movie - enough said.      

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Starting in 2024, the only Best Picture nominees that have a chance are those featuring minorities or gays???? WTF is that. 

Well, there is our chance to make some money and become worldwide movie stars...

Who has an 80s camcorder (Black and White of course) ?

We can film each other in Pattaya's Sex City wearing cravats and tennis gear shaking hands with the locals in traditional farm clothes. Perhaps we could offer a Transgender Black American a banana and the final shot will be him grinning saying "Suck You Massa?"

Fade away to "Blisters" from WAR, Deliver the Word.(One of my favourite albums!)

Job Done!

• Haha 4

Each year the Academy awards an honorary Oscar to an actor who has had a long, distinguished career, has performed in some memorable movies and roles, and this year the recipient was Samuel L. Jackson. Talk about being overlooked! This was done on Friday night, and wasn't televised, and though I didn't watch the live Sunday show, I would have to assume that Jackson's Oscar speech would be edited in at some point so he could be recognized by the audience.

This is a guy who has been in the movies that have had the greatest monetary box office receipts, taken as a whole, some $27 BILLION in gross ticket sales, in the history of the art form, and he can't even have his moment on the live broadcast. And he was given it to by Denzel Washington, one of the truly cinematic greats over the last 40 years.

This should have been done during the actual broadcast and not relegated to a Friday night event that wasn't televised.

To me, that makes twice that Jackson was ripped off. On this honorary Oscar ceremony and especially back in 1994 when he lost out on Best Supporting Actor for his legendary role in "Pulp Fiction".  His incredible performance of the "Ezekiel" speech alone should have won it for him right there.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Well, there is our chance to make some money and become worldwide movie stars...

Who has an 80s camcorder (Black and White of course) ?

We can film each other in Pattaya's Sex City wearing cravats and tennis gear shaking hands with the locals in traditional farm clothes. Perhaps we could offer a Transgender Black American a banana and the final shot will be him grinning saying "Suck You Massa?"

Fade away to "Blisters" from WAR, Deliver the Word.(One of my favourite albums!)

Job Done!

You’re one sick c—t

Bit I’m also in tears laughing right now

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

@Mr. SmoothThat was messed up I agree, Mr Jackson got the Shaft there. I mean the broadcast was 3:45…..but his award was just an afterthought? 

So many good films with him, personally I think A Time to Kill was one of his best. And I’m sorry, but his role in Django as Stephen…..he nailed it. Didn’t see it until recently, and his scenes vs Jamie Foxx are gold

10 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Hard to know really. Will Smith definitely seemed genuinely angry when he went back to his seat. But who knows, they are actors, after all. 

Swearing is generally a big no no on US TV so I think it was him genuinely angry and not fake.

Talk about people's look's etc in the UK and you will get crucified these days. Comedians have gotta be ultra careful now, one gag can ruin a career.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Hard to know really. Will Smith definitely seemed genuinely angry when he went back to his seat. But who knows, they are actors, after all. 

I posted the OP about 45 minutes after this happened, I was recording the Oscars to skip the commercials. I think after watching the real video above, it’s obvious what happened. Will laughed at first, but when he saw her face, he decided to play hero and defend her. Chris also insulted her at the 2016 Oscars, so a bit of history involved too. I’m shocked he actually went through the trouble of marching onstage and not slapping him very hard, given the language and tone he uses 10 seconds later

But now I’m certain this was not an act, you don’t lose it like that at the Academy Awards. I think Chris handled it very professionally, I mean a comedian speaking at that event…..there’s no way you think a dude will ever assault you, no matter how bad a joke you make. Will handled that very wrong IMO, he’s among millionaires, not in the streets of Philly

Edited by Golfingboy

Interesting to read some of the comments on news reports about the slap heard around the world. Don't understand how some can think it's ok for an incident such as this to rise to the level deserving of a physical response.

Here's one such comment with a reply that shows at least some understand what the appropriate response should have been.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Swearing is generally a big no no on US TV so I think it was him genuinely angry and not fake.

Talk about people's look's etc in the UK and you will get crucified these days. Comedians have gotta be ultra careful now, one gag can ruin a career.

Y'know something mate...You can be the artistic director for our 2024 movie that I mentioned in an earlier post....

For the promotional posters may I suggest an anachronistic juxtaposition of Maggie Thatcher standing triumphantly atop the Aberfan school rubble with a bubble shouting "No free milk for you feckers!"

Jeez, we are onto a winner here ..Get your speech prepared!! 

• Haha 5

To be honest i think it is just a media stunt. If you were truly mad at someone, would you smack someone with an open hand? I would expect a clinched fist instead. 

Anyways, it is 2022 and with equal rights and all that, if his wife was upset about the joke, she should have dealt the blow herself if that is what she felt was needed.

With that said I don't condone violence, it can't be justified. 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

To be honest i think it is just a media stunt. If you were truly mad at someone, would you smack someone with an open hand? I would expect a clinched fist instead. 

Anyways, it is 2022 and with equal rights and all that, if his wife was upset about the joke, she should have dealt the blow herself if that is what she felt was needed.

With that said I don't condone violence, it can't be justified. 

Should of got his homies together and bust a cap in his ass!.

unnamed.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The assaulted used to have much more class.

Authors Norman Mailer and Gore Vidal had a long running spat, which culuminated in Mailer knocking Vidal to the ground.

A still horizontal Vidal never a fan of Mailer's writing replied, "Norman, once again words have failed you." 😀

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4