Bangkok and Other Airports - Your Recent Experience - Busy, OK or Quiet. Please Add your Experiences.

john luke

Came in Suvarnabhumi yesterday at 6,10pm,new terminal,nice,train takes you to old terminal 5 minutes,up the escalator your right opposite immigration which was pretty quiet with queue s about 10 or so deep at each booth,through less in 10 minutes and in taxi to hotel at lat Krabang.

The flight was Qatar from lhr ,we had to stop at Cairo for fuel as could not go through Iran Iraq airspace now.

On a positive side it cut my 4 hour wait in doha down to 1 hour,each flight had 3 seat to myself,all in all pleasant journey.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I went through swampy on Thursday afternoon/early evening on my way back to Blighty, it was an absolute breeze despite there seemingly being a lot of people about. I did the self check-in/baggage drop at Qatar 4 hours before my flight so no queues there and to to my absolute amazement no queue at immigration a couple of hours later. From the escalator (the very far one, right in the corner) to duty free was about 5 minutes, I barely broke stride.

Wasn't very complimentary about the new satalite terminal on my arrival but credit where its due, I had a whole different experience on departure. Was really quite impressed with the place, particularly the waiting areas at the gates which I thought were spacious and comfortable.

Qatar flights were meh cattle class - you get what you pay for.

Heathrow terminal 4 was as easy as swampy - no queues anywhere, case waiting on the belt, we landed at 6:35am and I was outside having a ciggy at 7:02.

Edited by Smiler
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, maipenrai said:

IMy flight was delayed by half an hour because of late arrival of the plane, this is flight BR68 which I believe originates in LHR; 

Yes, that's the flight I usually take.

Historically it is late most days because they seem to fail to turn it around at Swampy when it originally comes in from Taipei the day before. That puts it late into Heathrow, thus late leaving to come back to Swampy. Often it makes up a bit of time in this direction though!

It wouldn't surprise me if they are slow turning it around going in your direction too, but have never looked at it.

Glad you are home safe, well nearly home!

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Historically it is late most days because they seem to fail to turn it around at Swampy when it originally comes in from Taipei the day before. That puts it late into Heathrow, thus late leaving to come back to Swampy. Often it makes up a bit of time in this direction though!

It wouldn't surprise me if they are slow turning it around going in your direction too, but have never looked at it.

Yes me too and it's been like that for months  usually make up time on the way but rarely arrive on time at BKK. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/13/2024 at 6:03 PM, boydeste said:

That's a real annoyance for the BR068 out of LHR. Late inwards BR067 has a knock on for turning the Aircraft around which, as you say, makes for a late departure for BR068 and and nowadays, an on time departure it seems to be the exception rather that the rule.

Kudos to the LHR ground crew who actually manage to blitz the plane and get it ready.

The THAI which arrives often earlier seems to have much more reliable timings, but maybe that's due to THAI getting the priority out of BKK. I just wish they'd offer a premium Econ.

23 minutes ago, Butch said:

The THAI which arrives often earlier seems to have much more reliable timings, but maybe that's due to THAI getting the priority out of BKK. I just wish they'd offer a premium Econ.

That has been my thoughts on the situation, because it has been going on for a very long time and the Thai flight never seems to get delayed.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Butch said:

That's a real annoyance for the BR068 out of LHR. Late inwards BR067 has a knock on for turning the Aircraft around which, as you say, makes for a late departure for BR068 and and nowadays, an on time departure it seems to be the exception rather that the rule.

Kudos to the LHR ground crew who actually manage to blitz the plane and get it ready.

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

That has been my thoughts on the situation, because it has been going on for a very long time and the Thai flight never seems to get delayed.

Hence why although i slightly prefer EVA, i now book Thai if price is roughly the same, as can't be doing with the delays, and the flying without luggage due to the delay, was bad.

• Like 4