Phnom Penh

Jambo

10 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Arrived yesterday, the place is really suffering post COVID.

The bars are over-flowing with girls but have virtually zero customers. Some great looking girls but you walk into a bar, and you descended on by 5/6 girls. You've got to pick one and buy a drink for peace, at that point you are the only customer in a really dead bar.

It sounds great in theory, all the girls but without some atmosphere in the bar I don't find in fun.

Secrets had the the biggest number of customers may have been about 8? Talked to the Aussie owner, and it's all about the lack of any COVID bounce back. The money the Chinese bring in ends up in the pockets of the local expat economy and then, they come out.

I've got a few days here, so will see if things are better on a Friday/Saturday night. Won't bank on the hostess bars though will get out and find a venue with a bit of live music on. Catch a bit of sport at the weekend

On the positive front, this is a city many wouldn't take to but I love the place. Real Asian city that in parts reminds my of BKK before all the malls and condos went up

Feel desperately sorry for the locals, lovely people. Very poor country, can only hope for their sakes it bounces back. And that does require the Chinese

I have a friend who spent a week in PP earlier this month. He echoes what you have posted. He did mention a Secrets Pub too and said there's a 20% discount off your tab once you pass $100 which he admitted is easy to do there.

He said what he enjoyed most about the bar girls in PP is that tats have not really caught on as they have in Thailand but for whatever reason braces on teeth have.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/27/2023 at 1:04 AM, Lemondropkid said:

Arrived yesterday, the place is really suffering post COVID.

The bars are over-flowing with girls but have virtually zero customers. Some great looking girls but you walk into a bar, and you descended on by 5/6 girls. You've got to pick one and buy a drink for peace, at that point you are the only customer in a really dead bar.

It sounds great in theory, all the girls but without some atmosphere in the bar I don't find in fun.

Secrets had the the biggest number of customers may have been about 8? Talked to the Aussie owner, and it's all about the lack of any COVID bounce back. The money the Chinese bring in ends up in the pockets of the local expat economy and then, they come out.

I've got a few days here, so will see if things are better on a Friday/Saturday night. Won't bank on the hostess bars though will get out and find a venue with a bit of live music on. Catch a bit of sport at the weekend

I just have to ask did you mean Aussie co-owner?

"My bad habits lead to late nights ending alone."

Ed Sheeran

2 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I am there in 3 weeks for a few nights will give Ben your love :default_071:

You might very well know it but the Lone Star on st 23 is worth trying. 

Small friendly neighbourhood bar, mix of expats Aussie and American.  The food is excellent.  They do A $5 daily special that comes with a beer that they'll happily change for a soft drink.

It's indoors AC which i know you like, not a hostess place just a regular friendlybar

Am off in there at 6.30  for the championship game this morning 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

You might very well know it but the Lone Star on st 23 is worth trying. 

Small friendly neighbourhood bar, mix of expats Aussie and American.  The food is excellent.  They do A $5 daily special that comes with a beer that they'll happily change for a soft drink.

It's indoors AC which i know you like, not a hostess place just a regular friendlybar

Am off in there at 6.30  for the championship game this morning 

Appreciate the tip we'll look it up when we're there Hope you're having a good time

• Thumbs Up 1

Sat killing time before my flight at the airport. Top tip get breakfast before arriving.  Food and coffee $8 dollars, both poor, worst I've had here by a distance, even for airport standards pretty grim

Passap app ordered taxi from the Riverside cost $6 for a 30/40 minutes ride in AC comfort!! There's the value

20230131_082845.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Word of warning at the airport at Phnom Penh  

Was asked by staff to show evidence of my flight out of Thailand, and  the guy made a show of checking I wasn't staying for over 45 days. That's fair enough as I was doing a visa run of sorts.

He then began to question why I had a new passport in a tone I didn't really care for.

Resisted the urge to ask him if he'd prefer an out of date passport!

With a smile I said " You know COVID 19,cannot travel."

Every foreign passport holder was getting the same treatment.  I was through before all those around me.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Just curious for any of you guys who have been recently to Cambodia, is Peter Storm still around? 

Met him at Secrets Anniversary part Sept 2017, had his fill of Pattaya and moved over there and took over a bar perhaps? 

Still there hoping to catch up with him in a couple of weeks

• Thumbs Up 3

When I checked in at Suvarnabhumi I was asked to prove that I had a return ticket which I didn't have as I am going on to Vietnam and will fly back from there. Fortunately I had an e-visa confirmation which they accepted but my friend didn't and had to go and buy a return ticket before being allowed to check in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

8 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Just curious for any of you guys who have been recently to Cambodia, is Peter Storm still around? 

Met him at Secrets Anniversary part Sept 2017, had his fill of Pattaya and moved over there and took over a bar perhaps? 

Peter Storm made his own Cambodiam forum after Ben let the Secrets forum die.....I am not sure if it's still going...

7 hours ago, karon steve said:

When I checked in at Suvarnabhumi I was asked to prove that I had a return ticket which I didn't have as I am going on to Vietnam and will fly back from there. Fortunately I had an e-visa confirmation which they accepted but my friend didn't and had to go and buy a return ticket before being allowed to check in.

This can really cause havoc. 

Practical point to mention.

The $1, and $2 dollar notes have been phased outside of circulation. Also more larger denonmination KHR notes seem to have been put into circulation since I went pre COVID

You will very quickly find yourself with a large wad of KHR, alongside your USD. The Khmers I found are wonderful people and in the regular shops they are not going to rob you. But obviously be careful around the bars

Being able to multiple and divide by 4000 in your head is a bonus for the USD-KHR conversion

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Great Info 2

5 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Practical point to mention.

The $1, and $2 dollar notes have been phased outside of circulation. Also more larger denonmination KHR notes seem to have been put into circulation since I went pre COVID

You will very quickly find yourself with a large wad of KHR, alongside your USD. The Khmers I found are wonderful people and in the regular shops they are not going to rob you. But obviously be careful around the bars

Being able to multiple and divide by 4000 in your head is a bonus for the USD-KHR conversion

By phased out I assume you mean not as many in circulation but $1 and $2 are still accepted.

37 minutes ago, Trip said:

By phased out I assume you mean not as many in circulation but $1 and $2 are still accepted.

Yes correct. I came into the country with a handful, all were gone long before I exited

22 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I hope so because I've got a boatload of $1 bills in anticipation

No need to worry, could have phrased my comment a little more precisely🙂

Edited by Lemondropkid

• 4 weeks later...