Christmas Decorations

Stillearly

55 minutes ago, galenkia said:

All my family are dead now so Christmas is meaningless to me now.

Just another day.

Sounds cruel, but that’s life. Same as me with birthdays, after 21-22 never wanted anyone to make a fuss for me, not a big deal except another year closer to the dirt nap

• Thumbs Up 1

in 20 odd yrs ive had my own place only twicehas any gone up.once when i  had a thai gf over and other time was when a m8 was living with me.his gf put them up asked her why because she said.well i told ur both coming thailand for xmas so who goign to be here for them and take them down.since then ive never ever bothered at all as i work away in week and if hoem for xmas i go my sister and mums for xmas.plus waste of money on eletricity to

• Like 1

Years ago we had a small tree that came out for Chrimbo but I think it got lost in one of our many moves.

Lots of houses lit up plus they have Xmas lights in the village but I just can't be arsed.

I know I'm a misery guts but Xmas bores me shitless.

• Thumbs Up 3

Another bah humbug here.

When I was at home, I had a 10" fake tree with flashing LEDs that used to come out of its box and go on the table as a token gesture...if I was feeling community spirited then I used to move it to a window at night.... then the battery leaked one summer and the LEDs stopped flashing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ten years ago it was a small tree and some sad bits of tinsel, but I've become more domesticated and now have LED lights strung along the entire front of the house, as well as fancy animated snowman and santa lights all along the security fence facing the street. The small tree and sad bits of tinsel inside are still there though, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our Xmas day is always the same,my mum comes over to dinner & stays the night.We don't like turkey so have roast chicken which is not a lot different from lots of other roast dinners we have during the year.

The missus buys some crackers so we end up with the silly paper hats on.

There is absolutely nothing worth watching on tv except maybe reruns of long dead comedians.Having said that they are usually much funnier than any living ones.

The most boring day of the year by far.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Our Xmas day is always the same,my mum comes over to dinner & stays the night.We don't like turkey so have roast chicken which is not a lot different from lots of other roast dinners we have during the year.

The missus buys some crackers so we end up with the silly paper hats on.

It is so odd, isn't it, that you have such a long and happy marriage but dislike Xmas, whereas with each of my Thai wives it has been the happiest days in our marriages!

With my daughter's Mother, we had a fantastic Xmas at my Mum's (1997). I did the whole thing from going out to buy a real tree, through to decorating it and doing the table decorations. The preparation and cooking the food was a real team effort! The culmination of a fantastic dinner was me doing the washing up whilst they disappeared somewhere... Later I found the two of them (My Wife and my Mum) cuddled up under a blanket crying their eyes out to Titanic. My wife had bought it as a Xmas present for my Mum on video (it was newly released in UK). Fantastic times !! Who'd of thought that the WWotN had a heart !!!

With my last TW, I did a smashing Xmas party for the whole extended Thai family with a massive turkey and loads of wine and dancing. At the time who'd of thought that she would end up fucking every man in the Province or that her parents would kill my dog because I refused to use her for breeding....

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember Xmas from when I was 6 or 7 years old. I am 73 now. The joy I felt at that earlier time, from the various decorations and celebrations still carries with me to some degree. The excessive presents and commercialization puzzled me even back then. 

I very much enjoy watching young people taking enjoyment in the holiday season.

I brought with some Xmas lights when I first moved to Thailand about 6 years ago. The GF hung them up and almost started the couch on fire. My Buddhist TGF was not used to this type of thing.

She noticed (I think) that I was ghosting a memory that no longer meant anything to me. We do not decorate or directly celebrate Xmas, although I still make something a little fancy for dinner. She does ask about Xmas presents. 🙂

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, I guess I am a grinch because I think Xmas is for little kids and bible thumpers; I have never had a tree in my house and don't have lights up outside either. When I was younger Xmas was a lot of fun because there were parties everywhere and we all got into the spirit, but then society ruined all of that with its zeal for safety by making it impossible to move around to the various parties without running into gestapo checkstops. My aussie sister-in-law is totally bonkers about Xmas - she's the sort who starts planning it in July - and wants nothing more than to inflict herself on my home brother and myself for another "White Christmas" up there in northern Canada but I told her that I'll never spend another Xmas in the north again if I am able to travel away from it and  I intend to keep that promise - I'd much rather be under the palm trees for that time of year, anything is better than the cold and gloom of a northern winter. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

We have children, so putting up the tree is huge for them.  Being in Thailand we probably have the only tree up in our neighborhood, but the malls and many restaurants put them up.   Also our daughter attends a Catholic girl's school, so Christmas is celebrated there, too.

image.jpeg

The Santa Claus myth is over for them, though.  When she was eight years old she and some of her friends were running around the house playing and stumbled on the gift wrapped packages in my home office closet.  They all came out yelling "Daddy is Santa Claus!"

They all called my Daddy because to them it just meant "Katie's father," because she was the only one who used that word.  It got me some odd looks and comments when friends from the US visited to have a bunch of Thai kid's calling me "Daddy."  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tko said:

They all called my Daddy because to them it just meant "Katie's father," because she was the only one who used that word.  It got me some odd looks and comments when friends from the US visited to have a bunch of Thai kid's calling me "Daddy."  

I get exactly what you are saying but my daughter's friends are all now in their 20s and call me "Daddy"....!!!

On 12/4/2022 at 11:20 PM, maipenrai said:

Well, I guess I am a grinch because I think Xmas is for little kids and bible thumpers; I have never had a tree in my house and don't have lights up outside either. When I was younger Xmas was a lot of fun because there were parties everywhere and we all got into the spirit, but then society ruined all of that with its zeal for safety by making it impossible to move around to the various parties without running into gestapo checkstops. My aussie sister-in-law is totally bonkers about Xmas - she's the sort who starts planning it in July - and wants nothing more than to inflict herself on my home brother and myself for another "White Christmas" up there in northern Canada but I told her that I'll never spend another Xmas in the north again if I am able to travel away from it and  I intend to keep that promise - I'd much rather be under the palm trees for that time of year, anything is better than the cold and gloom of a northern winter. 

Totally agree mate.

Last year I was snorkeling on Xmas Day off Ya Nui Beach Phuket , this year I'm in the thick of it currently -4 in U.K hate the winter here.