Enlarged Prostate/BPH - What operation to have ?

Pumpuynarak

Great news. I hope your Mrs. borrowed one of those button down tight nurse uniforms from the hospital to wear while taking care of you.

Nothin' like a sweet Thai nurse. I remember one surgery I had at Bumrungrad when the very cute nurse made a point of being the one to pull my catheter. Bless her heart...

. . .

H246f4de323704373a28d8018018c48a7I.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Nothin' like a sweet Thai nurse. I remember one surgery I had at Bumrungrad when the very cute nurse made a point of being the one to pull my catheter. Bless her heart...

One cutie nurse that tended to me was a right little lovely and she loved havin a bit of fun, we got on well lol

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now i have to say since arriving home on the Sunday at 1pm i've started to feel pain when urinating which i am doing very frequently but the urologist did warn me of same hence he prescribed Tylenol 500mg every 6 hours. 

•  

I can sympathise with this bit ... currently having the same after my kidney stone operation, the stent is being removed tomorrow morning..... but having to run to the toilet frequently and with almost zero notice and a stinging pain as I pass water ... 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

He also prescribed constipation medication as that is also a problem for many Turp patients.

The problem for opioids that are used for surgery is that they cause constipation. I had bladder cancer and after taking opioids for pain for a few days, I had to go to the ER to get an Enema!

Never again will I take them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a catheter inserted for a week like you after surgery. Had a very weird experience the first couple of days, when moving about I would get mild orgasmic sensations, no erection. Quite disturbing and not pleasant at all. Complained to the Doctors, they did nothing. After a couple of days, it became painful.

15 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

One cutie nurse that tended to me was a right little lovely and she loved havin a bit of fun, we got on well lol

Best regards from me & Nid mate & we'll see you next trip,hopefully without the irritation of last time😂.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I can sympathise with this bit ... currently having the same after my kidney stone operation, the stent is being removed tomorrow morning..... but having to run to the toilet frequently and with almost zero notice and a stinging pain as I pass water ... 

Good luck mate, its not nice.

10 hours ago, Mrmango said:

The problem for opioids that are used for surgery is that they cause constipation. I had bladder cancer and after taking opioids for pain for a few days, I had to go to the ER to get an Enema!

Never again will I take them.

Sorry to hear that, i've stopped taking the Tylenol 500mg, they were doing nothing for the pain when urinating and i don't like taking any meds especially if they're doing nothing to help the pain.

I'm still taking the constipation meds (Senokot 7.5mg two tabs at bedtime) but they too don't appear to be doing anything, here we are on thursday morning and i have'nt defacated since monday morning despite my food intake remaining the same, no pain though.

• Surprised 1

54 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Sorry to hear that, i've stopped taking the Tylenol 500mg, they were doing nothing for the pain when urinating and i don't like taking any meds especially if they're doing nothing to help the pain.

I'm still taking the constipation meds (Senokot 7.5mg two tabs at bedtime) but they too don't appear to be doing anything, here we are on thursday morning and i have'nt defacated since monday morning despite my food intake remaining the same, no pain though.

Many years ago, I had emergency surgery to repair a hernia that damaged my colon.

I was told to drink 4 tablespoons of wheat bran with juice every day and ever since I am never constaped (except when I took the opioids')

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Mrmango said:

Many years ago, I had emergency surgery to repair a hernia that damaged my colon.

I was told to drink 4 tablespoons of wheat bran with juice every day and ever since I am never constaped (except when I took the opioids')

Now where would i get ''wheat bran with juice'' ?

34 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

"What do mean I'm not regular" he said, "I take a dump every fortnight like clockwork".

Psyllium husk works for me.

The soluble fiber found in psyllium husks can help lower cholesterol. Psyllium can help relieve both constipation and diarrhea, and is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, and other intestinal problems. Psyllium has also been used to help regulate blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. When psyllium husk comes in contact with water, it swells and forms a gelatin-like-mass that helps transport waste through the intestinal tract. Several large population based studies also suggest that increased fiber intake may reduce risk of colon cancer, but other studies have been conflicting.

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/supplement/psyllium

I used to get it from Villa Market in Pattaya.

If you take it with iced water it stops it from gelling long enough to get it down. Only wimps take it with juice.

• Great Info 1

I eat a mix of All Bran,oats & fresh fruit every morning & I'm regular as clockwork.

I soak the oats & All Bran overnight.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I assume that you are not being sarcastic, so let me clarify my statement.

I buy wheat bran at the health food store, put 3-4 tablespoons in a glass, and add juice to liquefy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:18 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i had the Turp procedure last Saturday 14th Jan, arrived at St Mary's hospital Korat at 7.30am underwent various tests/procedures including a cardiology test as i suffered a stroke back in March 2021 (good to hear the cardiologist state my heart was in good nick).

At 2.30pm they wheeled me in to the operating room and prepared me for the procedure which commenced at 3pm, all done by 4.15pm and i never felt a thing, no pain etc. The urologist fitted the catheter which had to remain in place until the 21st Jan when he will remove.

Back to my private room with wifey where i had to remain horizontal for 6 hours until 11pm, now this was a real problem for me as i hate lying horizontal, i find it so uncomfortable but needs must. The urologist came to see me at 11pm to check on how i was feeling and i reported that i was feeling no pain whatsoever.

In the morning i was feeling fine so i was allowed home after the urologist had seen me again, 12 noon we left the room and headed to the cashiers to pay the bill, 124,028bht, i was a happy man.....

Now i have to say since arriving home on the Sunday at 1pm i've started to feel pain when urinating which i am doing very frequently but the urologist did warn me of same hence he prescribed Tylenol 500mg every 6 hours. He also prescribed constipation medication as that is also a problem for many Turp patients.

Here i am 4 days later just getting on with life as best i can waiting for saturday to arrive and get rid of this damn catheter.

I have to say i am impressed with my Urologist Dr Kathawut Rerdwuttichaikoon and would not hesitate to recommend him, he knows what he is doing and has a wealth of experience.

Many many thanks to BM garmat (AseanNow Forum) for his recco and help and assistance, its been so comforting being able to call him to check/talk things over, thanks mate.

I'll conclude this report after the removal of the catheter on Saturday. 

•  

Cliff,

Greetings from Singapore, will be here until Tuesday, anniversary time with wifey.   Hey....great news that all is going relatively well with you and good to hear you are just a day away from getting that Catheter removed.

Man, after that gets removed, now that you got some new "plumbing" I expect that we will see a post from you telling us that Sat night, you cranked up "Back In The Saddle Again" by Aerosmith, you were "riding" wifey like Jeff Gordon at Nascar, Daytona Beach Florida!  :default_527:

@Stillearly Good to read also that both you and Stillearly are on the mend...Godspeed to both of you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Cliff,

Greetings from Singapore, will be here until Tuesday, anniversary time with wifey.   Hey....great news that all is going relatively well with you and good to hear you are just a day away from getting that Catheter removed.

Man, after that gets removed, now that you got some new "plumbing" I expect that we will see a post from you telling us that Sat night, you cranked up "Back In The Saddle Again" by Aerosmith, you were "riding" wifey like Jeff Gordon at Nascar, Daytona Beach Florida!  :default_527:

@Stillearly Good to read also that both you and Stillearly are on the mend...Godspeed to both of you. 

Thanks, enjoy your time in Singers Mike, i'm sure you will. I've already prepared wifey for a return to normality, she takes it in her stride lol

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/18/2023 at 11:45 AM, lazarus said:

Great news. I hope your Mrs. borrowed one of those button down tight nurse uniforms from the hospital to wear while taking care of you.

. . .

H246f4de323704373a28d8018018c48a7I.jpg

A ragging boner is just what he needs. 

You a bad man Laz, very bad !    :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Time for an update guys. Well the issues i had immediatley after i had the Turp procedure ie incontinence, constipation and retrograde ejaculation have improved somewhat. I no longer have incontinence and the constipation is not as bad but its still prevalent on occasions. The RE is still evident all the time so it looks like i will have to live with it, wifey's not too disappointed for obvious reasons lol

One issue though is the occasional urgency that i have when needing to urinate/defacate, not all the time i would say but when its apparent i have to get to the toilet pretty quickly.

Another issue which is of more concern is the amount of urine i pass when urinating, its only a few decent 3/4 squirts at a time, i don't find the need to urinate anymore.

I'm currently urinating up to 3/4 times a day and 2 times at night so i imagine i'm not emptying my bladder. Now i don't have any issues with bladder pain so its quite clear that i have'nt got any infection because of urine retention, i hope that continues.

In conclusion i would say the procedure has not been a 100% success but i'm certainly in a better place than i was, here's hoping that i see more improvement as time goes on.     

• Like 1
  •  
  • Like 4
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Another issue which is of more concern is the amount of urine i pass when urinating, its only a few decent 3/4 squirts at a time, i don't find the need to urinate anymore.

I'm currently urinating up to 3/4 times a day and 2 times at night so i imagine i'm not emptying my bladder.

I am told, if you were on a catheter you can develop "lazy bladder". Google it rather than me cut and paste.

• Thanks 1

I have my good and bad days - I take one Tamsulosin tablet a day, sometimes two depending on what shifts I am working; last night I ended up having to piss almost every 1-2 hrs over the length of my 11.25 hr shift but I have the advantage of working alone and never being far away from  a washroom or dark corner if I am caught short - on good days I can stretch this to three hours or more so for the time being I am coping. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I have my good and bad days - I take one Tamsulosin tablet a day, sometimes two depending on what shifts I am working; last night I ended up having to piss almost every 1-2 hrs over the length of my 11.25 hr shift but I have the advantage of working alone and never being far away from  a washroom or dark corner if I am caught short - on good days I can stretch this to three hours or more so for the time being I am coping. 

I think i have taken virtually every medication available over the years and none were effective at dealing with the problem of enlarged prostate/BPH, it just got worse and worse and finally despite having the need/urge to urinate i just could'nt urinate effectively. Then it was time to undergo some operative procedure hence i ended up having the Turp procedure.

I sincerely hope Gord that you don't need to go down the same route. 

• Thumbs Up 1