Where I won't be, on 1st July............

Painter

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Don’t get all the hate….my dream is to retire to Pattaya, start yet ANOTHER channel on how to survive on $750 USD a month, and enjoy living fat on my residual income from the 2,332 subscribers it will take 3 years to amass 

Please subscribe, share and like  ... 

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Trip said:

Ditto, but for me it's also related to how Phil used to diss internet and that Secrets forum back when he was at Secrets. He told me often that the Secrets forum had much less to do with Secrets's custom than good management. I don't think 10% of people that walked through the doors for the first time at Secrets could have found that place without the forum.

I remind him of that every time I see him Vlogging ... Phil's an ok guy but he's a twat ... maybe a twit now that he's also finally also discovered Twitter.

Well of all the bar owners I would have to rate Phil as the number one YouTuber in Pattaya now........

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Including the blue Portaloo in the days of the Dad running it? It was good that the son took it over when the dad died but by f**k did it stink by the Portaloo !!

I knew girls that preferred to piss outside on the ground rather than go inside !!!

Of course that was a reason so many liked it at CC's.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well of all the bar owners I would have to rate Phil as the number one YouTuber in Pattaya now........

Tastes/Likes are subjective.

I give egg some credit for jumping into technology. Phil was very much anti-tech when he managed Secrets. He had Maroon 5's 'Move like Jagger' on the play list there where the damn song played every 15 minutes. I guess he just couldn't figure out how to adjust it. IIRC by that time ownership such as it was had moved on to Cambodia.

Baldy has come full circle now. Hope it works out for him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Trip said:

I give egg some credit for jumping into technology. Phil was very much anti-tech when he managed Secrets. He had Maroon 5's 'Move like Jagger' on the play list there where the damn song played every 15 minutes. 

Hey hey now……that’s a great tune

10 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I’ve always said a newbie’s first trip had way more challenges in the “pre-smartphone” era. For me in 2008 it was a typical midnight arrival from Vancouver-Tokyo, first time ever out of North America. After the initial confusion, spent a night on Soi 11 in BKK before heading to Pattaya at lunchtime 

First night after checking in Soi 5, walked to Walking Street(took me a few days to understand the baht bus system). Even though I was a member of the forum the previous 2 years, I had zero idea where the bar was…..until I saw the 4-5 hawkers with the ❤️ signs. “Oh how convenient” I thought to myself…..But there still was lots to learn, and I’m sure more in the future…like how a Soi is only that Soi between Beach-2nd, and 2nd-Buakhao might jump from 6 to 10 or similar…..and that goes for all of Thailand too I assume, odds & evens don’t line up either 

Now you just turn on your data, and unless you’re looking for the tiniest noodle stall, everything should be on Maps and you don’t get lost….Today’s newbies have it SO good

I first came to Thailand in '82.  No smart phones, internet, anything.  I kind of like the exploration aspect of it.  Now it's too easy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, tko said:

I first came to Thailand in '82.  No smart phones, internet, anything.  I kind of like the exploration aspect of it.  Now it's too easy. 

Absolutely,when I arrived in BKK in 81 my knowledge was gleaned from a workmate who had but one trip under his belt.He said stay at the Nana & go to a little bar somewhere where the big hospital down the road is now.Never heard of Soi Cowboy,Patpong or Pattaya.

Was great fun finding out though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Absolutely,when I arrived in BKK in 81 my knowledge was gleaned from a workmate who had but one trip under his belt.He said stay at the Nana & go to a little bar somewhere where the big hospital down the road is now.Never heard of Soi Cowboy,Patpong or Pattaya.

Was great fun finding out though.

What were the going girl rates back then?

37 minutes ago, fforest said:

In '82 it was often just meals and touring around with her.  That's with freelancers.   Of course I was in my early 20s then.

My first paid was 500Baht long time. They only did long time then and were unhappy when you moved on.

Edited by tko
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, tko said:

In '82 it was often just meals and touring around with her.  That's with freelancers.   Of course I was in my early 20s then.

My first paid was 500Baht long time. They only did long time then and were unhappy when you moved on.

Rates were still 500 Baht LT in the early 90's as well 👍

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Rates were still 500 Baht LT in the early 90's as well 👍

It was probably the late 80's or the early 90s before I got into GoGos and started paying directly 👍

EDIT: To expand, back then street food was 10-20 Baht, a very nice restaurant was 1000 Baht for two people, four star hotel under 1K, a first class train to Chiang Mai was around 1200 Baht for two people, the Baht was pegged at 24.5 to the USD.

And I was earning less than a quarter of my current pensions and passive income.

Magical.

Edited by tko
added info
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, fforest said:

As said 500 LT & barfine was 100-150.Only one gogo in Pattaya back then & that was the TQ,so a lot of stunners in beer bars.

No fake tits,tats or bits of metal hanging from noses etc.Happy days!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm lost. Where are people not going on July 1st?

Agree Secrets and the forum were Siamese twins. Who'd have left WS to go there without the forum.

But where's the latest I film you, you film me and we all report on the same non-event happening 🙂

7 hours ago, coxyhog said:

As said 500 LT & barfine was 100-150.Only one gogo in Pattaya back then & that was the TQ,so a lot of stunners in beer bars.

No fake tits,tats or bits of metal hanging from noses etc.Happy days!

Those must have been the days….. When don’t want to hear about inflation or exchange rates….it WAS much cheaper back then. $20 or less all night and they probably cleaned your room and had to be forced to leave the next day…..I had a few like that in 2009 but they cost more and weren’t 10’s 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Bingo we have a winner. If you look at the timeline of when the forum started to become ignored by owners and management and the bar started failing you'll see they go hand in hand. The forum was started a bit over 1 year before the bar was even open which was pure brilliant marketing. We used to have satellite meetings at Adam's Cherry bar of members as well as Lenny's for those who remember it. We had secrets meetings before secrets was even built. It's a shame I feel bad because all the years I invested I still felt despite my leaving that my name would be attached to secrets in some way. Without that forum secrets would have went down faster than free beer. And that's a fact but it's all in the past too bad

Loved that forum for the 8 or so years I was there but reflecting back I likely made less than 100 posts that whole time. Spent most of my time lurking fascinated with one guy's financial posts and retirement fantasies and another guy's thread about farming.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Trip said:

Loved that forum for the 8 or so years I was there but reflecting back I likely made less than 100 posts that whole time. Spent most of my time lurking fascinated with one guy's financial posts and retirement fantasies and another guy's thread about farming.

I wonder if man in question finally made his move……I should have heeded his advice and “conservative style “

41 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

I wonder if man in question finally made his move……I should have heeded his advice and “conservative style “

I saw on another forum a post by the farmer guy who ran across the financial whiz on one of those retirement forums, FIRE, or something like that. It was sad, said the financial whiz ironically got mandatory retired from the firm he worked for because of some medical condition. Ironic in different ways as the financial guy worked for a medical supply outfit. Ironic too in that after all that retirement advice, he never got to retire on his own terms really himself which was an overarching theme of his Secrets threads.