What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

30 minutes ago, Zambo said:

As kids we used to get a tick once in a while, i think they came from the sheep in the nearby fields. My father used to burn them off with a cigar, in fact i think he used to be pleased to get an opportunity as he rarely had a cigar.

I have had a tick on my scrotum whist fishing in Slovenia. You have to remove them by rotating them anticlockwise. This will spin their heads out, otherwise you risk snapping their head off and leaving it buried in the skin.

I had a course of meds for Lymes after because I fell quite sick. I didn't get the usual ringed rash, but had a swelling around the bite. 

Lymes is mostly prevalent in countries with deer.

We have also removed ticks from a couple of my mates whilst fishing in Canada too.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 4

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

I have had a tick on my scrotum whist fishing in Slovenia. You have to remove them by rotating them anticlockwise. This will spin their heads out, otherwise you risk snapping their head off and leaving it buried in the skin.

I had a course of meds for Lymes after because I fell quite sick.

We have also removed ticks from a couple of my mates whilst fishing in Canada too.

My father would have lit his cigar and quickly burnt that off your scrotum.

I'll try the anticlockwise twist next time. Do you have to consider which side of the equator you are before twisting?

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Zambo said:

My father would have lit his cigar and quickly burnt that off your scrotum.

I'll try the anticlockwise twist next time. Do you have to consider which side of the equator you are before twisting?

No lol.

Their claws/pincers rotate in clockwise when they burrow into the skin.

Burning their ass may well get them to rotate out voluntarily, but you don't want to squeeze them pushing your already removed blood back into your body.

We have  little fork like tools that fit just behind the head tight to the skin. Once locked in, you can twist the head out.

These work a treat.

TICKEASE01.png?20210309030734

Not sure about which direction you need to rotate a tick

Tick mouthparts

Tick mouthparts, SEM

Tick mouthparts, coloured scanning electron micrograph (SEM). The mouthparts of a tick consist of three visible components. The two outer jointed parts are highly mobile palps. Between the palps, at centre, is a rod-shaped structure, the hypostome. The palps do not enter the skin of the host while the tick is feeding, while the hypostome is inserted into the hosts skin. The backward-pointing projections prevent easy removal of the tick.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

I had a course of meds for Lymes after because I fell quite sick. I didn't get the usual ringed rash, but had a swelling around the bite. 

Thankfully this is another pest that doesn't really occur in the north - some of the deer species do carry them and these varieties can  cause health problems amongst these species - mule deer and elk mostly - but they pose no threat to humans. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Packing ...

my last night in Samui , two weeks has flown by .... and I've not really done much  555   Only three nights out out .... five with a beer / wine with a meal ... and six days dry 😇  haven't spent much 555

Bangkok tomorrow ✈️

Cool. Your sure did get some nice pics in while there. Enjoy BKK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

No lol.

Burning their ass may well get them to rotate out voluntarily, but you don't want to squeeze them pushing your already removed blood back into your body.

We have  little fork like tools that fit just behind the head tight to the skin. Once locked in, you can twist the head out.

Twist and Shout. lol

I never knew that about the twist. Interesting and makes sense.

I have never had one on my person, but used to find them on my dog once in a while. I know they are a part of nature, but the little mother fcukers sure pissed me off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since i got new battery in laptop yesterday been cleaning drives ect deleting loads of shit 

Found these notes i made just before friggin covid cancelled the whole lot ! but im glad i kept them and the teahouse, hotel names as its got me thinking about it again and funnily enough ill be off most of april hmm.

hotels napal trip

dates 19th- 15th april

dates on trek——march 21st-aril 10th

kathmandu

alpine hotel 2 nights—19th to the 21 st £30

walk past phakding 1 hour to guesthouse the inn next to waterfall or continue to mojo stay there.

namche bizzare—hotel namche 3 nights 22rd to the 25th…£70

tengboche/debuche- rivendell lodge 1 night 25th- 26th. £3

dingboche—26th -28th hotel summit,,26th - 28th £13

lebouche,,….

gorak shep….

,summit kalapathar mountain for sunset

everest base camp

……………………………………………………...

on way back stay pheriche 

namche bizzarre panorama 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

These work a treat.

TICKEASE01.png?20210309030734

Not sure about which direction you need to rotate a tick

Tick mouthparts

Tick mouthparts, SEM

Tick mouthparts, coloured scanning electron micrograph (SEM). The mouthparts of a tick consist of three visible components. The two outer jointed parts are highly mobile palps. Between the palps, at centre, is a rod-shaped structure, the hypostome. The palps do not enter the skin of the host while the tick is feeding, while the hypostome is inserted into the hosts skin. The backward-pointing projections prevent easy removal of the tick.

ive had a few pussys that felt the way that ticks mouth looks !

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

Setting up the new all in one pc, as son accidentally knocked the other one on the floor and broke the screen. 
Only had it for a few months and paid around £700 so not worth claiming on insurance. 

Looked to get new screen but every repair shop says it costs as much to fix if they can get a screen, as it costs to buy new one. 

Bugger. 😭

• Sad 7

48 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Setting up the new all in one pc, as son accidentally knocked the other one on the floor and broke the screen. 
Only had it for a few months and paid around £700 so not worth claiming on insurance. 

Looked to get new screen but every repair shop says it costs as much to fix if they can get a screen, as it costs to buy new one. 

Bugger. 😭

That's a day spoiler. For sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Breaky on the balcony 2 boiled eggs, thick toast,and coffee,its Makha Bucha day so off to wat mongkol soon,id think bus loads today visiting,its a really nice drive on the new road.

Shoot.... I had no idea it was Makha Bucha day. Can't keep up with all of these holidays.

14 hours ago, boydeste said:

No lol.

I suspect the counter clockwise removal advice is an old wives tale. Must be a regional thing too as growing up in Wisconsin with a high tick population I'd never heard that advice given. We'd just carefully pull them straight out, and if the tick had really embedded itself, then we'd light a match, blow it out, and then touch the hot end to the tick to get them to back out.

I see in this article they advise against the hot match trick, which is news to me.

Are you supposed to twist ticks counter-clockwise to remove them?

Ah, the old “righty-tighty, lefty loosey” rule. Works for screws, but ticks aren’t threaded. Never twist a tick to remove it, because this can leave part of the tick in your skin. Other popular — but bad — tick removal advice includes trying to suffocate them by swabbing them with Vaseline, gasoline or nail polish, or holding a hot match to their butts. These methods just piss them off. I would particularly discourage you from combining these measures; dousing a tick on your body with gasoline AND lighting it with a match, lest you emulate a Buddhist war protester.

Ticks use a harpoon-like barbed feeding apparatus called a “hypostome” to attach to your skin, then secrete a cement-like substance to hold them in place. For a good picture of a tick feeding, go here.

Here’s the proper way to remove a tick:

Clean the area with hydrogen peroxide or another antiseptic cleaner. Use clean, fine point tweezers and grab the tick down low, where the mouthparts enter the skin. Pull the tick away with a steady slow motion. Don’t wiggle, jerk, or pick at it. Wash your hands and disinfect the tweezers and bite site. Be careful not to crush or squeeze the tick while it’s attached because it’s likely to salivate or regurgitate infected fluids into your body.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just back,wat mongkol was very quite,schoolboy error,forgot to put the memory card into the drone,so drove to tjs shop bang nong plahp about 15 klm from mongkol to buy another one,stopped at a very empty reservoir to grab a few pics,it was a nice drive and not to hot till after 11am.

Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 14.31.21 1.png

feck it 7 uploads failed,files not exeeding maximum,will try again later,pish.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I suspect the counter clockwise removal advice is an old wives tale. Must be a regional thing too as growing up in Wisconsin with a high tick population I'd never heard that advice given. We'd just carefully pull them straight out, and if the tick had really embedded itself, then we'd light a match, blow it out, and then touch the hot end to the tick to get them to back out.

I see in this article they advise against the hot match trick, which is news to me.

Are you supposed to twist ticks counter-clockwise to remove them?

Ah, the old “righty-tighty, lefty loosey” rule. Works for screws, but ticks aren’t threaded. Never twist a tick to remove it, because this can leave part of the tick in your skin. Other popular — but bad — tick removal advice includes trying to suffocate them by swabbing them with Vaseline, gasoline or nail polish, or holding a hot match to their butts. These methods just piss them off. I would particularly discourage you from combining these measures; dousing a tick on your body with gasoline AND lighting it with a match, lest you emulate a Buddhist war protester.

Ticks use a harpoon-like barbed feeding apparatus called a “hypostome” to attach to your skin, then secrete a cement-like substance to hold them in place. For a good picture of a tick feeding, go here.

Here’s the proper way to remove a tick:

Clean the area with hydrogen peroxide or another antiseptic cleaner. Use clean, fine point tweezers and grab the tick down low, where the mouthparts enter the skin. Pull the tick away with a steady slow motion. Don’t wiggle, jerk, or pick at it. Wash your hands and disinfect the tweezers and bite site. Be careful not to crush or squeeze the tick while it’s attached because it’s likely to salivate or regurgitate infected fluids into your body.

I got the instructions from the Tick tool I purchased many years back and has worked so far on many ticks we have removed in different countries. Things do move forward as science learns more I guess.

We do pull the tick gently as we slightly rotate left, gently as well. They have all come out heads attached so far. Maybe just got lucky, who knows!

One guy did apply vassalene because he had been told they breath through their ass and if you block it off, they will come out themselves. All that happened was the tick dug in further.

It was tough because of the slippery tick, but the tool removed it in the end.

The good thing is they don't like Deet, which quite often we have on as mozzie spray, but in Canada they drop from leaves as you brush under them and can go down the inside of the neck opening looking for a nice soft spot to burrow in.

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

I got the instructions from the Tick tool I purchased many years back and has worked so far on many ticks we have removed in different countries. Things do move forward as science learns more I guess.

We do pull the tick gently as we slightly rotate left, gently as well. They have all come out heads attached so far. Maybe just got lucky, who knows!

One guy did apply vassalene because he had been told they breath through their ass and if you block it off, they will come out themselves. All that happened was the tick dug in further.

It was tough because of the slippery tick, but the tool removed it in the end.

The good thing is they don't like Deet, which quite often we have on as mozzie spray, but in Canada they drop from leaves as you brush under them and can go down the inside of the neck opening looking for a nice soft spot to burrow in.

Bastards are sneaky fcukers droppin on you like a friggen Ninja.